travel to germany and belguim (1 Viewer)

Apr 28, 2008
rayleigh, essex.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
can anyone tell me the pitfalls i need to know re electric hook ups in these countries and any other problems we might come up against we are going abroad with our motorhome for the first time

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Hi

First and foremost - forget any worries that you may have about motorhoming in Germany - in most instances German sites and Stellplatz are light years ahead of the UK sites!

Have you got the necessary windscreen sticker for your car in order to be able to visit some of the German City centres? see <Link Removed>

Have you got all the Tourist info you need on Germany? see <Link Removed>

Finally - Enjoy your trip - especially up and down the 'Wine Route' along the Moselle - visit Trier and Monschau - and when you get back - let us know where you have been.

TimG

Free Member
Jan 3, 2009
Minehead, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
4 years
You will need a 2 pin continental adapter as not all sites have the 3 pin euro plug.You will also have to watchout for reverse polarity so you will need a tester to check this if you are really concerned.I have never had a problem myself.

I would suggest that you buy the Bord Atlas as it lists all the German Stellplatz as well the French Airre de Service book. As it is your first trip going down the Mozel would be a good start. Plenty of places to stay.

Regards

Tim G

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Belgium and Germany

Hello

A fair bit away from your original topic, but diesel is cheaper in Belgium than Germany, so fill up in Belgium!

Russell

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
In Germany I usually had to pay for Electricity separately and would have to wait for the meter to be read before we could checkout.

Ralph

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
can anyone tell me the pitfalls

Hey lad, nothing to it, you kids today don't know you're born. When me 'n' me mate started pioneering MH holidays to Germany in 1914 they didn't half make a fuss, made it right clear they didn't want us Brits. We got there in th'end though, didn't stop long, reet frosty welcome a can tell thee.

We thought **&^% them, we'll not go there agin. Then about 20 year later we wondered if wid misjudged 'em and tried agin, bugger me, it were no better. 'Ad me mate Arnie from States wi me that time, he thought they were right rude to us. Didn't stop long that time either.

Scrubnuts

Free Member
May 11, 2008
Lomba do Rei Portugal
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Germany

Having just returned from Germany i agree a trip along the wine route is lovely, and a place worth a visit is Bernkastel-Kues near Trier. A large dedicated parking area for motorhomes right by the side of the river on the east side of the town, over bridge turn left at r/about.

Aug 28, 2008
Antwerp /Belgium
Funster No
Exp
can anyone tell me the pitfalls i need to know re electric hook ups in these countries and any other problems we might come up against we are going abroad with our motorhome for the first time
Electricity: most sites have the (blue) EU sockets; however some still use the German DIN system (earth on the rim, Belgium has the same but sometimes with an earthpin) Everywhere 240V alternating current.
Forget about the German sticker. Not that easy to get one (paperwork and prices). Moreover these areas are really the centers of towns where you normally don't dare to go with your MH. Even when a motorway goes through a zone you don't need a sticker. All German 'Stellplatze' are well equiped and are out of these zones.
If you go through Belgium there are a lot of black spots in rush hours: e.g Kennedy-tunnel and 'ring' around Antwerp, the whole Brussels area. Most motorways are filled up with trucks: travel in de weekends or take 'nationals'.
For overnight spots have a look on:Link Removed also other Belgian provinces.
Diesel is expensive in Germany. Fill up in Luxemburg, even cheaper than Belgium. e.g take from Namur the N4 (expressway) instead of the E411 to Arlon. In Martelange the left side of the road is on Luxemburg; there are about 10 petrolstations.
Enjoy

Aug 28, 2008
Antwerp /Belgium
Funster No
Exp
Another thing: speed limits !
In Belgium: 120 km on motorways, 90 on nationals, 50 in build up areas, 30 around schools (even at night and week-ends !). Numerous cameras (and booby-traps) especially in Flanders. In Belgium a build-up area (50 km) is anounced with a white sign, giving the name of the town (no other 50 km warning !). Yellow signs with a name on it simply give the borders of a council (without speed limit).
In Germany the same yellow signs indicate a build-up area with 50km speed limit ! :Doh:
Language: in Flanders (north part of Belgium- Dutch speaking) practically everybody understands English. Could be a problem in the French speaking part of the country.
Most Belgians are Anglo-minded (we don't forget you saved us from the Huns twice :Cool:)
Germans really understand some English ( the young people) some elderly people could be harsh and unwelcome.
The Mosel valley is very motorhome-minded. Practically every village or town has a 'Stellplatz' (mostly 6€/night + services). A nice area to start with. (even better when you like their wine :winky:)

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Hi We have been to both Germany and Belgium.

In my opinion some of Belgium is the most underated place in europe. The south of the country away from the hussle of the north is really surprisingly nice.
Friendly people, great cake shops and we never came accross any pitfalls really. Pretty much no different to touring other parts of europe.
The only really bad thing is that if you think the uk roads are bad for potholes???

Germany was ok, but I don't agree that the campsites are light years ahead of ours. I think that some were very poor. There are some lovely scenic routes in Germany especially the already mentioned Trier and some great stellplazs but personally I just can't get the people, no matter how hard I try.
I have been to the former east of Germany and found that pleasant and welcoming.
Have a nice trip:thumb:

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
I have been trying to reply to this for ages but the was a problem with my account.

This is our trip to Germany in 2007 if it helps.

Link Removed

Ralph

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back