Travel through France & Spain

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by FreddieBoxall, Oct 7, 2013.

1. FreddieBoxall

FreddieBoxall Funster

Can anyone recommend a route from Calaise to Barcelona (pref non toll)

2. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

Hi and welcome to the forum...:thumb:

Done that plenty of times,,,, some times East side sometimes west side and cut across...

Must admit I have never bothered to bypass the toll roads...

Plenty on here do, and they should be along to advise... :thumb:

PS, What part of Devon...

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  3. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

My route would be.
    Calais - Rouen - Chartes- Blois - Chateauroux- Toulouse- then either bypass Andorra or via Narbonne and down the coast...

From Blois you can also go Vierzon and Clemont Ferrand...

Not much in it either way.. Depends on time of year as well....

Can all be done non toll...

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  4. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

best not to rule out tolls altogether there are some stretches where paying the tolls is better we tend to do it on the sat nave with and without tolls to see the time and millage difference then use Michelin planner to get the rough cost of the tolls

5. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I know a man who can.

Google Maps.

It's incredibly good.

• Like Like x 2
  6. ukbill

ukbill Funster

tonka has best answered your question as for tolls the only 1 i would pay is from bologne to abbville otherwise its stop start all down the non toll road from clermont to perpignan its non tolls and a nice route just toll at millau bridge have fun and safe roads :Smile:

• Like Like x 2
  7. Parcverger

Parcverger Funster - Campsite Owner

When are you going? This will affect the recommendations you get, as the Clermont Ferrand route is high, and perhaps not the best if winter weather is about. Equally the west coast route can be cluttered in the holiday season.
    The Chateauroux Limoges Toulouse route is a good choice at any time of year, as much of the A20 is toll-free, and there are optional routes south of here that can avoid the toll sections, though they are naturally slower.
    You can usually pick up good advice here at Parc Verger, as there are often guests, some of whom will be Funsters, who do this run frequently.
    Bob
    www.parcverger.com

• Like Like x 2
  8. HymerB544

HymerB544 Funster

Travel through France and Spain

Are you wanting to visit particular places en route or just get it over with? We choose the former last Autumn, making another holiday out of our journey back from Spain, and enjoyed every minute!

Aigues Mortes
    Cassis
    Tain
    Beaune
    Epernay
    The Somme.

Mostly used aires and took about two weeks.

9. Teasy2007

Teasy2007 Funster

Hi Steve, that's the way travel, but do you know if they have opened the bridge at Rouen yet, we had a nightmare of a journey through there earlier this year.

Ginny

10. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

The bridge is closed till next year from what i have read, however Rouen is quite easy when going south.. Once you hit the closed bridge, go up the slip road and turn left, then straight over the lights and you are on the old N road and along the north bank of the river. That road takes you down to Pont de l'Arche and on to Evereux. If you come back north via Pont de L'arche you dont hit any delays at all as you join the main road to Abberville after the bridge closure...

11. nifty fifty

nifty fifty Funster

12. Teasy2007

Teasy2007 Funster

13. bluemog

bluemog Funster

Winter travel

Having looked at this post it's been more than helpful about routes, including some I hadn't thought about. However I intend to travel down to Spain and Portugal at the end of January (finally retired!) and was wondering what road conditions are like in mid France and Spain at that time?

I realise that some routes have considerable climbs and must run the risk of snowfall but how good are the natives at clearing it? Coming from NE Scotland I've lived all my life driving in snow but we are often snowbound due to the inability of our services to clear even main routes. I would think/hope that this wouldn't be a problem but I have an extremely nervous OH who would have a tizzy fit if we experience anything more than a couple of centimetres. I have snow chains etc but hoping that they would only be required on side roads.

I'd be obliged if anyone else has travelled at this time of year and can give any advice.

Thanks

14. mondo

mondo Read Only Funster

Try this route..

Calais...Abbeyville..Rouen..Evreaux..Nonacourt..Dreaux..Chartres..

Orleans..Vierzon..Chateroux..A20 all the way to..Toulouse..Carcassone..Narbonne..Perpignan.. to the border at La Jonquera..
    This is more or less the route we used there are some decent Aires on the way..Buchy Forges le Eaux Mery sur Cher..have fun hope this helps..

15. Volusia

Volusia

We live near Limoges and traveled to Spain by car the last two winters (out at the end of December and back mid Feb)

We used motorways mostly but no need to really as the roads are pretty good. The first year we found the bit from Carcassonne to Barcelona VERY windy and it is often like that, so last winter we went down the west coast of France. Limoges, Bordeaux, to San Sebastián . Then across the middle of Spain through Zaragoza to Valencia. A bit hilly at first then lovely straight FREE roads but it is very boring:RollEyes: would do it again though as those cross winds in northern Spain were awful:cry:

By the way...... We came through Rouen while driving south in May and it was a nightmare! Pick your times if you go that way. Don't do it at rush hour:shout:
    The rest of the route is good though:Smile: