Travel partners needed for Spain this winter (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
daved2524

daved2524

Free Member
Jan 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
5th wheel and a Nissan
Exp
Since April 2016
The place I am at is called Caravanismo Olhao or Camping Olhao. It's just right of Faro. You book in and park anywhere you fancy. All the spots near the bar are gone so I have to walk 50 yards. That bike will have to be used. I am consolidating my trip by making this my base and visiting places from hear.

OP
OP
daved2524

daved2524

Free Member
Jan 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
5th wheel and a Nissan
Exp
Since April 2016
Sun is up people are going about doing things so it's time for food and drink, water at this time of day

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
daved2524

daved2524

Free Member
Jan 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
5th wheel and a Nissan
Exp
Since April 2016
Well members on a site in Olhao just east of Faro. It's a great site with plenty of Brits. Its a small community so you need to get to know the people, some never leave and some just stay for 1- 6 months. It's nice to see how friends greet each other after a sommer apart doing there own thing. Sun has been shining I think everyday now so what is there not to be happy about. I have met quite a few people now and they all seem nice. Tonight is another night out to a live music event this time and everyone that has been to it say it's a great night out. Not come across Moterhomefun members yet.

OP
OP
daved2524

daved2524

Free Member
Jan 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
5th wheel and a Nissan
Exp
Since April 2016
We have a Halloween party on Monday night so Tuesday I am off to Portimao west of hear. It sounds I nice place and very different from this place. Sun is out again so sprits are high. Tonight some of the camp members decided to have a sing along. Very interesting how songs sound when the person singing then has had a few drinks. Still better than I could do. I have now eaten at all the local resteraunts near hear at least once and they all have good and not so good points but I can still say I wouldn't miss the experience for anything. My small BBQ has not been out yet and I have not been doing any teaching of bridge. Maybe Portimao is different and I will get to cook and teach or I could just drink and talk.

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Bromyard, Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
HI Daved. Not sure what my plans are for next year yet. Planning to stay in Sicily until March at the moment, and then back to UK for a bit. If I get bored then maybe head for Spain/Portugal. Maybe some meets int he UK. I would like to head up to Scotland for a look round in the late spring. Looks like you are enjoying Portugal. I have left Somerset, so not sure where I will be working next.

OP
OP
daved2524

daved2524

Free Member
Jan 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
5th wheel and a Nissan
Exp
Since April 2016
HI Daved. Not sure what my plans are for next year yet. Planning to stay in Sicily until March at the moment, and then back to UK for a bit. If I get bored then maybe head for Spain/Portugal. Maybe some meets int he UK. I would like to head up to Scotland for a look round in the late spring. Looks like you are enjoying Portugal. I have left Somerset, so not sure where I will be working next.

Toni and I have been thinking of Scotland when I get back from this trip round about march / April so could see you on the road.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Are you going to the big aire at portimeo?

OP
OP
daved2524

daved2524

Free Member
Jan 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
5th wheel and a Nissan
Exp
Since April 2016
Are you going to the big aire at portimeo?

Yes but things have changed again. If I stay hear for one month I get a 30% discount so for the extra week it only cost me about 7 Euros so I am not getting there until the 14 November. Are you going to be there at some time?

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Hopefully November time.
A lot of places give a good reduction for over 30 days.
@champers Kath and John are heading there in a shiny new cathargo :)
They can confirm price on aire.
Get to pingo supermarket and visit their cafe. Everything grilled in front of you.
Fab food. Great fish and steaks.

OP
OP
daved2524

daved2524

Free Member
Jan 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
5th wheel and a Nissan
Exp
Since April 2016
Hopefully November time.
A lot of places give a good reduction for over 30 days.
@champers Kath and John are heading there in a shiny new cathargo :)
They can confirm price on aire.
Get to pingo supermarket and visit their cafe. Everything grilled in front of you.
Fab food. Great fish and steaks.
See you in November at some time. Off to the market for people watching and coffi

OP
OP
daved2524

daved2524

Free Member
Jan 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
5th wheel and a Nissan
Exp
Since April 2016
Off today to my next stop, Portimao hear I come. I went there to see what it's like last Sunday and it's a really nice place. I found three places to stop, two free and one chargable. I fancy trying them all over the next week or so. It will be nice to have a change of drinking partners not that the ones hear at Olhao are a problem. We had our Halloween party on Monday and it was great. I had much too much drink so yesterday I didn't even go out for more than ten min. It seems I invited all the campsite to my van for a party, thank god they didn't turn up as I don't keep drink or party stuff in the van.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
Most folk try to stay away from meat service areas due to the amount of break ins...Or being gassed :whistle:.

Try to stay away from these or at least make sure you are properly locked up and alarm on.

Safe journey.
Sandra scare stories thats all they are as far as im concerned i have stayed on loads of service stations motorway and b roads never a problem,so park and enjoy

Reactions: JJ
OP
OP
daved2524

daved2524

Free Member
Jan 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
5th wheel and a Nissan
Exp
Since April 2016
Whent out on a trip round other locations in my truck I think I get how it works. You have to decide what you like. Free sites are parking areas that do not in a lot of cases allow camping. Wild camping sites are not so easy to find and seem to be scrub land or parking areas. The apps Wildcamping and campercontact seem to cover the different sites. I have decided I like people contact and security so I am sticking with campsites or parking areas that are chargeable as they have things like water, toilets, washing machines, bar, food and people. That's not to say that I would not go to a site that has nothing or little on it I just feel I am too old to rough it as I don't enjoy it anymore. My time with the army I spent time roughing it so I can do it. Some of the cheap parking areas are quite good like the one hear at the marina Portimao. If I was traveling with others then the free sites would be fine but as I have no friends or travel partners I stick with going to sites that I know others will be at. Nice places to stay or visit I have found upto now. Olhao, Portimao, Lagos, Silves, Sagres, Gurgau. This week I am going to stay at Lagos campsite Turyscampo and a cheap parking area with water and stuff. After that off to Sagres wild camping with no stuff supplyed by others.

OP
OP
daved2524

daved2524

Free Member
Jan 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
5th wheel and a Nissan
Exp
Since April 2016
The bar is open at Portimao so all seems back to normal. I wil have to try it out to make sure the beer has not gone off.

OP
OP
daved2524

daved2524

Free Member
Jan 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
5th wheel and a Nissan
Exp
Since April 2016
Moved from Portimao to first Sagres (too quiet for me but great views) then onto Alvor for a couple of nights ( very nice place. The beach is great, the walks are great and the views are great) Well worth a visit. Then onto the free wild camping site over from the Marina at Portimao ( this is a great place. No costs, no water or anything at all but veiws and the near by village are great. Well within walking distance even for me). Not many vans about 20 now. Pick your oŵn spot)

carla

Free Member
Dec 13, 2016
portugal
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
i'm a newbie
Hi daved2524 - I am new to this site and motorhoming but I understand you are someone who I can ask for advice/guidance..can you PM me please

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hi daved2524 - I am new to this site and motorhoming but I understand you are someone who I can ask for advice/guidance..can you PM me please
Carla I think you have to be a paid up member now to use the private message facility.

Balabosun

Free Member
Jan 6, 2017
Bilston
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
10 years
Sounds like you are going to have a great time ,good luck ,

OP
OP
daved2524

daved2524

Free Member
Jan 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
5th wheel and a Nissan
Exp
Since April 2016
Had a great time at Portimao and along the cost to Olhao. Now back in the uk for Christmas and new year. When I get back to Olhao on 15 January I plan to try Spain then France.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I met Carla at camper UK in Lincoln, looking for a mh I believe.
And she wasn't 83 lol
Lovely lady but doesn't look like she has joined :-(

pondfairy

Free Member
Feb 12, 2017
cornwall
Funster No
MH
vwt4 trident 1995 hightop
Exp
5 years
Hi funster's

I am new to all this motorhome travel as i have only recently got my 5th wheeler.
My plans if anyone is interested and wishes to link up at any point or any time.
July getting solar panels fitted. (Taunton)
23 July Visit my sister to say good by (Manchester staying in the peak district for a week or so location TBC)
August Retrofestival in Newbury 11-15th
September Pembrey Rally (South Wales) 23-26th

Then the real fun starts
27 Sep A leaving party at Westonzoyland airfield BBQ cooked by me and paid for by all that attend. (This is my home camp site or the place i stay when i am not traveling) Don't think if you link up with me that i will do all the cooking and you can just sit back drinking and farting.

28 Sep ferry from Pool to Cherbourg (Not booked yet so flexable)

Now help is needed
Suggestions needed for best camp sites down France to North Spain and on to South Spain.
Christmas in ? Make a suggestion.
New Year in ? Make a suggestion.

On to Portugal for a few weeks or months
Back to the uk round about April
I am sure you all know many camp sites that are great and inexpensive for the group to rest in. Remember my rig is large just under 9m, then the truck so no tiny parking areas for me.
This is not a race or a convoy we could just note the location of a camp site and the best way of getting to it then make your own way in your own time. If anyone has a problem they will be able to get help from one or all of us.
I have done a lot of things in my life just not in an RV on camp sites. I like company and like to help others. I am not looking for a wife girlfriend or partner just a fun time with like minded people. If you cannot understand the babble then just PM me.

David
@daved2524 hi david, i like the sound of your planned meanderings, i haven't been abroad in my van myself, although lived in andalucia for 3 years working for greyhound abuse. but, my little 15ft van would fit inside yours, i can park anywhere and don't have to stay on big 'estate' type sites, if you are thinking of going anywhere south, i could venture to a meet up. i am putting feelers out all over, finding out what and who does what so to speak, reading all thus makes me want to get out and about more.

OP
OP
daved2524

daved2524

Free Member
Jan 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
5th wheel and a Nissan
Exp
Since April 2016
@daved2524 hi david, i like the sound of your planned meanderings, i haven't been abroad in my van myself, although lived in andalucia for 3 years working for greyhound abuse. but, my little 15ft van would fit inside yours, i can park anywhere and don't have to stay on big 'estate' type sites, if you are thinking of going anywhere south, i could venture to a meet up. i am putting feelers out all over, finding out what and who does what so to speak, reading all thus makes me want to get out and about more.

Hi what rally's or Motorhome shows are you going to?

pondfairy

Free Member
Feb 12, 2017
cornwall
Funster No
MH
vwt4 trident 1995 hightop
Exp
5 years
Hi what rally's or Motorhome shows are you going to?
@dave2524. hi dave, i like wild camping in beautiful places more than commercial events, rallies all seem booked up, bagwell farm maybe, and i will try to get a small group down here on north coast near penzance as soon as i find out when the farm is opening for camping.

Darrin King

Free Member
Nov 6, 2017
Funster No
Has anyone been to the the Canary Islands in Winter? Thinking of going for Christmas.

the weather is in the early 20s at in December. Is it warm enough for a beach holiday and swimming in the sea?

I'm expecting a very touristy/British holiday but fancy some winter sun with the missus and the baby (who will be 6 months old then).

Any tips of good places to stay that are not 'too' crowded and touristy would be excellent!

OP
OP
daved2524

daved2524

Free Member
Jan 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
5th wheel and a Nissan
Exp
Since April 2016
I have been to the canarys at Christmas years ago and it was very nice. It was warm but the wind, that year picked up the sand and if you had sun tan location on it stuck to you. I don’t use the stuff my self but my wife at the time found it a problem. I went by plane so I know nothing about motorhoming over there.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back