Travel money (1 Viewer)

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Can't remember the last time I bought Euros here prior to a trip! I have a Halifax Clarity credit card, which charges no fees for either cash withdrawals or purchases whilst abroad. It converts at the existing market rate [which is invariably a few points higher than the tourist rate] and I then pay it off in full on return. Charges 12.9% from date cash withdrawn, or after the 52 day period for purchases. If you're really canny you could transfer online whilst abroad to cut out any interest charges, but it cost me about 50p last time I was away for a week. Hang on to 50 Euros or so at the end of each trip to tide you over until you find a cashpoint.

I hate being charged to access my own money, and so the Clarity card always puts a smile on me face!

SPUD'N'T

Free Member
Aug 25, 2008
YORK ENGLAND
Funster No
MH
COACHBUILT (LOW PROFILE)
Exp
since 2008
Can't remember the last time I bought Euros here prior to a trip! I have a Halifax Clarity credit card, which charges no fees for either cash withdrawals or purchases whilst abroad. It converts at the existing market rate [which is invariably a few points higher than the tourist rate] and I then pay it off in full on return. Charges 12.9% from date cash withdrawn, or after the 52 day period for purchases. If you're really canny you could transfer online whilst abroad to cut out any interest charges, but it cost me about 50p last time I was away for a week. Hang on to 50 Euros or so at the end of each trip to tide you over until you find a cashpoint.

I hate being charged to access my own money, and so the Clarity card always puts a smile on me face!

We use the same thing and have set up our halifax current account to pay the credit card bill straight away so we don't get charged, we usually go to europe for 12 - 16 weeks and it has worked really well for us

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10

and me, slightly different card but same Idea. :thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
use cash and an Caxton FX pre load card

I prefer good old cash i.e € or £ plus the Caxton FX preloaded € card.

works for us.

Bob

OP
OP
hdvrod

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
cant see posts as usual!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
hdvrod

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
I use my Nationwide card for most purchases,but still like to have some cash with me.

bigmillie

Free Member
May 6, 2008
Camberley Surrey
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Classic C class
Exp
On/off since 1966
Paid for 2 nights at Camping Jeudstation Ieper on Saturday €24 + €4 deposit
€28 total using HSBC debit card
on statement yesterday debit £23.14 @ 1.21 rate