Travel Money Card from The Post Office (1 Viewer)

E

ecosse08

Deleted User
Hullo

Got this as a back and thankfully it wasn't my source of funding our trip through mainland Europe. To cut a long story short here is my experience of the Post Office Travel Money Card.

o Purchased card in Worcester Post Office. Produce both parts of UK Driving Licence and Passport as ID. Clerk only wanted to view paper part of driving licence. Got card and some cash.

o Several weeks later my family contact me while I am in France to tell me that the Post Office have been in touch and want Photo ID or they will stop my card by late November while I am abroad. This is just in case I am a money launderer.

o I email Post Office and complain who eventually reply but as you would expect it is not a satisfactory response.

o Now in Spain I have to fax off the documentation that they originally declined to view using up an entire morning and some of my money.

o I am of the opinion that the Post Office MAY have breached anti money laundering legislation and I am currently in the process of informing the Worcester Police of events.

I think it’s safe to say that I would NOT recommend the Post Office Travel Money Card to anyone.

Watch this space for updates,

PS. We've not been on for while but will catch up soon.

Keef & Carol

sandyketton

Free Member
Aug 29, 2007
South West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Eight years but ten years tugging in an earlier life
o I am of the opinion that the Post Office MAY have breached anti money laundering legislation and I am currently in the process of informing the Worcester Police of events.

What for? Is there a reward?

I got my Post Office cash card in August and have had no problems whatsoever.
Very useful and necessary from my point of view.
Sandy

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Hullo

Got this as a back and thankfully it wasn't my source of funding our trip through mainland Europe. To cut a long story short here is my experience of the Post Office Travel Money Card.

o Purchased card in Worcester Post Office. Produce both parts of UK Driving Licence and Passport as ID. Clerk only wanted to view paper part of driving licence. Got card and some cash.

o Several weeks later my family contact me while I am in France to tell me that the Post Office have been in touch and want Photo ID or they will stop my card by late November while I am abroad. This is just in case I am a money launderer.

o I email Post Office and complain who eventually reply but as you would expect it is not a satisfactory response.

o Now in Spain I have to fax off the documentation that they originally declined to view using up an entire morning and some of my money.

I think it’s safe to say that I would NOT recommend the Post Office Travel Money Card to anyone.

Watch this space for updates,

PS. We've not been on for while but will catch up soon.

Keef & Carol

What is the advantage of the Post Ofice card over say the Nationwide ATM card?

I love the Xmas smilies. :Smile:::bigsmile::roflmto:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Hullo

Keef & Carol

Why not? Surely it's just one person that made a mistake and not the money card itself? Is there some other reason for not recommending it?

Regards
Doug

OP
OP
E

ecosse08

Deleted User
The hassle free way to take money abroad .....

Hullo Again

Why I am informing the Poice? They are lecturing me on aniti laundering legislation and implied that I may be a money launderer when I haven't done anything wrong. They should know how to identify someone before they give them a card. If I was a money launderer I could have done it by now with this card. If I had broken the law do you think that they wouldn't report me? I put several thousand pounds on a card that I can't use. The card is advertised as being 'the hassle free way to carry money abroad', it's not. You may think this is acceptable but I don't.

There are no advantages over the Nationwide ATM card. In fact there is no real advantage over your regular ATM card as the charges are simiilar. i only got it to have various supllies of money.

I accept that it was only one person who made the mistake but as far as I was concerned they were 'The Post Office'.

If you have had a good experience with these cards then lucky you. For me it's been nothing but hassle.

Cheers

Keef

smifee

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
chandler's ford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
the best reason not to use this card is the low exchange rate.

the daily telegraph did a test comparison of several cards and this came out the worst.

i use the nationwide flex account visa debit card with 2 credit cards as back up.

at least with credit cards you don't have to put any money up front so it will only cost if you have to use them.

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
I have to say that I can't see anything that's been better than the Nationwide Flex & credit card for use abroad. We have 3 flex accounts (you can have more than one with no problems) one is our main flex which our pensions are paid into & all the bills are paid. We then have a flex card in each of our names, money is automatically paid into our own flex cards each month (this is our spending aloowance for the month) When we are abroad we will take money from alernate cards, if we need extra we can always use the main flex but as a rule these are hidden away with spare credit cards.
On one occasion I had a 'failure to dispense cash' at a bank in Germany (I tried twice & it got to the end & said transaction cancelled) when I checked on line two amounts had been deducted. I emailled Nationwide & they immediatley refunded the cash back to my card while they investigated & I was told that the bank would be informed & it was up to them to show if money had been dispensed.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Money in the EU

Just as a comment, it may help someone.

We have been doing this traveling arround the EU for a few years now and we thing we have the money side sorted out quite well.

1/ Use a Nationwide credit and debit card (they give you the full excange rate with no charges).

2/ Each have you own cards on your own account (this way if you lose one the other partner does not get their card stopped as well as yours.

3/ Tell them when and where you are going (my last bank, HSBC, used to stop the card every now and again just as a securty check).

Doug and Sandra,

gillr49

Free Member
Aug 8, 2007
Holbeach Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Thanks for those tips.
The only one I'm not sure about is the last one
Made a special trip to Nationwide branch last year before we went to France and they just didn't want to know. We were told that they could not guarentee not to stop the card if it were used for any length of time in Europe, just told me to give them a ring if that happened. Other than that we had no trouble using the card for 6 months and it was never refused or stopped.::bigsmile:::bigsmile:
We did run out of money toward the end and used another high street bank's card and will never do it again when we saw the staement and how much they charged:Angry:
Gill

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
The only one I'm not sure about is the last one Made a special trip to Nationwide branch last year before we went to France and they just didn't want to know. Gill[/QUOTE said:
The branch is not interested as they are only concerned with the debit card but the credit card company (same name but different entity) is interested.

Doug

smifee

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
chandler's ford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
when i went to the nationwide AGM a couple of years ago i was told they were taking the credit card 'in house'.

not sure if they have done it yet.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back