Travel/Medical Insurance 6 Months in UK? (1 Viewer)

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Hello all. Hope someone can help.

I've got one year's medical insurance ending in August.

After that the plan was for me to stay in the house and my ex to go travelling in the van. he's now decided he wants to stay in the house for another year. I'm fine with this but not sure about insurance.

The company I'm with has said I must reside in the UK for six months before I can take out another policy. Is this standard practice?

If so I'm going to have to return early so I can get away again in autumn and not have to wait until February 2017.

Any help welcomed.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I assume the company you're currently with has a maximum of 180 days away in a year, there will be other companies that do 365 days abroad but I've never had to look into it I'm afraid.

OP
OP
J

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
No. I've currently got a 365 day policy but they say to renew I have to stay in UK for six months.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
No. I've currently got a 365 day policy but they say to renew I have to stay in UK for six months.
Are you 'abroad' at the moment? If so it may be that they are deeming you to be permanently living in your MH rather than using it purely for a holiday in which case you might need a 'full-timing' policy?

OP
OP
J

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
No. In future I will be six months in UK and six months away. It's only this current year I have a problem.

I just want to know if it's standard policy through the insurance companies - that you must have been in UK for six months before taking out a policy.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hello all. Hope someone can help.

I've got one year's medical insurance ending in August.

After that the plan was for me to stay in the house and my ex to go travelling in the van. he's now decided he wants to stay in the house for another year. I'm fine with this but not sure about insurance.

The company I'm with has said I must reside in the UK for six months before I can take out another policy. Is this standard practice?

If so I'm going to have to return early so I can get away again in autumn and not have to wait until February 2017.

Any help welcomed.
Hello and welcome back I was wondering how your travels were going!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
spending more than 6 months at a time out of the country brings up residency issues. i know some snowbirds fly home every 5 1/2 months for this reason

the 6 month requirement for insurance is to ensure you are still a uk resident

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Insure it in another EU state with a company that has a affiliate in the UK or is licensed themselves. You'll get a permanent green card as well.

OP
OP
J

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Could you just change insurance company?

Denise

That's why I'm asking the question - to see if it's a standard response.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

I can't renew a policy or take out a new one while I'm in Europe so I'm coming home in June and will start searching then. Telephoning companies will be cheaper for me to and hopefully I will get a definitive answer then.

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Can't help on the insurance Jackie but lovely to see you are ok we havn't heard from you for a while hope you are enjoying your travels:)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Can you expand on that please? Sounds interesting.

The insurance requirement is that the vehicle is "legal in the country in which it is registered" . The assumption is that it has to then be insured with a company in the actual country . It does not, just a company that can legally offer insurance in the UK directly , or through an affiliate.
Many Spanish companies insure foreign registered vehicles & one "Liberty Seguros" used to make a point in its adverts that it notified the dvla/Mi database on Tuesdays & Fridays every week of any Brit registered vehicles that it had insured.

Broken Link Removed

If you click ,bottom right, " Reporting UK vehicles " it states it all their.
Only thing is you'd probably need a Spanish address. Anyone would do.

there are others that do it but this is a good company that always made a point of it all in great detail.

OP
OP
J

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Thank you so much for this. I will take a look in more detail.

I'm now booked to come back in June - three months earlier than planned. My insurance company is going to refer my application (I can't make it until I get back to the UK) to their underwriter to see if they will make an exception in this case. It's all down to chance - but then - isn't it always.

Thanks again all.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back