Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
We are off to Euirope this year in our MH. When we have had package holidays abroad before, we have always arranged travel insurance. Does everybody do this going off in their MH to Europe too. Since we may go over several times in the coming year, we would have to get annual insurance but, to be honest, if one of us was taken poorly, the other could just keep driving to get home (if that was appropriate). Obviously, if the poor old b----r was gasping his last, I might try and get more immediate treatment. We both have the EHIC cards. I just wondered what was the norm.

Ivy

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
No idea what the "norm" is but I can explain what we do.

The EHIC card will get you emergency treatment, but not necessarily what you get in the UK, you get what the residents of the country you are visiting get which may be rather less in some countries. Also it does not cover things like an air ambulance should it be required.

So I would say travel / health insurance is necessary. You need a multi trip policy but watch the trip length - many are only 30 days (we go away for longer).

Some bank accounts give you this cover free - eg I have a Lloyds gold account which does, but I pay extra to extend the trip length from 30 to 60 days.

You also need to check insurance for your possessions. these may be covered by your household policy, but look carefully at the terms.

An AA or equivalent breakdown insurance valid for the countries you are visiting is essential, I think. Mine is provided as part of my van insurance policy (safeguard).

Hope this helps.

Jeff O

Jan 7, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Do not skimp on your insurance. For well under £100 you should get annual multi trip insurance, ours is for trips up to 90 days. You must be absolutely truthful (I'm sure you would be) about all medical matters or the insurance will be void. Sometimes you an't just drive back if some-one is ill, our daughter was rushed into hospital in France and was there about 10 days. Even with the card it would have been expensive so we were glad of the insurance.
violet

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I think motorhomer has it right. Do check your currrent financial arrangements (as motorhomer) you may already be covered.

Iv'e got that much cover I could die and be re-born three times before any body asked how much, and thats free with my charge card account.

Jim
:Smile:

OP
OP
Loujess

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Thank you everybody. I have free cover with our bank account, but since Sandy is over 70 the bsnk won't cover him and it isn't so easy to get insurance. I'll just have to look around. I'm sure there will be something.

Ivy

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Thank you everybody. I have free cover with our bank account, but since Sandy is over 70 the bsnk won't cover him and it isn't so easy to get insurance. I'll just have to look around. I'm sure there will be something.

Ivy

Try Insurance Choice and dont forget the 10% discount

Jim
:Smile:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Have you actually spoken to the bank? - only they will sometimes cover stuff they say they don't cover by paying an additional premium. OK it's annoying to have to pay extra but it's still usually cheaper than you could get a whole policy elsewhere. :cry:

(I went apeshit when they wanted to charge me for having an extra 'pre-existing condition' because I cannot possibly see how the extent to which I have it affects my likelihood to be ill !!!! (I'm Type 1 diabetic - free - and added depression) But then I ain't an actuary. I can only assume that every single insurance co's actuaries produce the same sort of figures for the specific combination of things I have - as everyone else wanted a heck of a lot more than the £60-ish extra I have to pay. So I had to go back and say Oh all right then, how can I pay you? Well and truly hoisted with my very own petard LOL) :ROFLMAO:

OR - have you tried Age Concern? - they used to do quite reasonably priced Travel cover.

manu54

Free Member
Jan 26, 2010
Essex
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
18 years
IVY....just done mine with the Post Office,discounted online or over the counter.
I shopped around first, but this was best for me...£45.00.
Phil

OP
OP
Loujess

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
That's a good idea and so was Sedge's. Age Concern - good grief isn't that for old people? Behave.

Ivy

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
(I went apeshit when they wanted to charge me for having an extra 'pre-existing condition' because I cannot possibly see how the extent to which I have it affects my likelihood to be ill !!!! (I'm Type 1 diabetic - free - and added depression) But then I ain't an actuary. I can only assume that every single insurance co's actuaries produce the same sort of figures for the specific combination of things I have - as everyone else wanted a heck of a lot more than the £60-ish extra I have to pay. So I had to go back and say Oh all right then, how can I pay you? Well and truly hoisted with my very own petard LOL) :ROFLMAO:

Here's an excellent example of a totally unintellagable friday afternoon rant. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jim
:winky:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Just renewed ours last week.
Moneysupermarket.com we have annual Multitrip 90 day per trip as many trips as we want £90 for the pair of us includes skiing trips and winter sports. Just shop for the best deal for the cover you want but watch the days a lot are limited to only 30 or 45

donna g

Free Member
Sep 13, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Buying soon!
Exp
none yet!
Hello Ivy

We have been having exactly the same problem, my husband is in the 'mature' age bracket (!) with a couple of minor pre-existing conditions. Also we were planning on going for 6 months. We've done loads of research and also asked on the out and about live forum ( MMM magazine). We have now settled for a company called EHIC Plus - this basically upgrades your EHIC card so that the difference that you would normally have to pay is covered. They also covered the pre-existing conditions at no extra cost. I know this means that we would be in state funded hospitals, but I've only ever used NHS hospitals in the UK! And from personal experience plus talking to friends, most state funded hospitals in the more 'civilised' parts of Europe are OK. Sometimes better than the UK... The only downside of EHIC Plus is that their maximum cover is for 4 months, so we have had to rethink our trip.

I would be really interested to know what the full timers on this forum do, as EHIC Plus state that you must be a UK resident for the 6 months prior to travel. So when we come back for our MOT then go off again, I'm not sure what we will do...

Good luck and enjoy your travels :thumb:

Donna

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back