Bobndebs McKay

Free Member
Jul 15, 2014
Bali for the Winter!! Back in Feb 2016
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750 FMSE
Exp
5 months travelling Through France, Spain, Portugal, Germany and Holland as a Full timer in our firs
Hi all, Debs and I set off on Monday Night across the Channel on our adventure!! :party2:
We have full insurance with recovery etc and we have our EHIC renewed. We were wondering if we should take out Travel

insurance? What do you all do? We have the normal travel insurance with our bank account, but it is only valid for 45 days per trip, although we can have limitless trips. It is our intention to be away till October this trip, in France, Spain and Portugal.
Is the MH insurance and EHIC enough? Any and all advice appreciated.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Just motorhome insurance + breakdown cover + EHIC..

We've never had anything else.. and while full time we used both doctors and A&E in both France and Spain .. no problems.

So IMO, not required unless in the event of being hospitaised or killed, and you want/need repatriated to the UK..

It's odd (or maybe it's not), but some travel insurers stipulate you must also have a valid EHIC card

I know you have yours, but for those who don't..
you can apply here.. https://www.gov.uk/european-health-insurance-card
it's FREE don't be caught out by scammers who charge for it

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
it's an oft asked question and you will get other views...

for example.. if you take part in high risk sports it may be advisable.. For me High risk is laying on the beach :LOL:

I view travel insurance companies with jaundiced eyes ..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Other countries you often have to pay a contribution, the EHIC card only entitles you to the same care as the locals. France for example if you are hospitalised you have to pay 20% of costs plus €18/day, so if you needed an operation or in an accident could cost you a few grand & repatriation won't be covered.

For our travel insurance we rely on our Lloyds Bank account that is also 45 days, but can be extended, I recently inquired about cost, £70 for 60 day muli trip cover, £130 for 91 days, I didn't inquire about longer periods.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

cydersyd

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Jul 21, 2010
Sherborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
12 years.
I am currently in negotiation with UK Insurance (Travel Insurance) which came with my Nationwide Flex Plus Account.

My van was broken into in Spain whilst parked on the road. Items and cash were stolen to the value of approx. £1500. On return to the UK I tried to claim with all the required details. I was told by UK Insurance that my claim for the theft of goods was rejected as I was not on a caravan site at the time of robbery. They consider that if the motorhome is not on a camp site then it is" in transit" and therefore treated as a motor vehicle which they don't cover!

I suggest and recommend you contact your insurance to clarify cover with this in mind.

However, My Home insurance (with UK Insurance) covered the loss under "goods away from home".

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back