Travel Insurance what do long term travellers do??? (1 Viewer)

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Hi All

I'm looking at travel insurance for Jan & I at the moment and getting confused and frustrated. We are away about 6 months in every 12 so need decent cover but are struggling to get it. The policies on offer seem great until you delve into them and then you find most are very restrictive.

"Endsliegh" are recommended by a few longterm travellers including Magbaz but have a max period of 42days unless you opt for the backpackers policy, which is unfortunately only for under 35's.

"TravelInsurance.co" have a policy for long stay with trips up to 90 days but it's very expensive and the cover values are greatly reduced although probably adequate.

We have the usual cover most people have for holiday insurance plus insurance with our bank cards which we've upgraded. All these are very limited and if you travel seriously over long periods and outside Europe virtually no use anyway.

My broker is looking for me now but when I was discussing it with him he said a lot of people doing the same as us have no proper cover. Worse still those that think they have haven't read the exclusions properly.:Eeek:

Any advise gratefully accepted
:thumb::thumb::thumb:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:RollEyes: Seeing as Travel Insurance will NOT cover existing medical problems? We have NEVER bought any. The money we saved will pay for any medication/treatment we may need? If not? Then that's just tough on us. We will just have to do what visitors to the UK do. :ROFLMAO:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
These people do a single trip policy with up to 365 days cover.:Eeek:

Link Removed

We have the annual insurance for multiple trips with them for the last 5 years and they have always excellent whenever we have had a claim.

By far the best cover and best prices we have found:thumb:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
:RollEyes: Seeing as Travel Insurance will NOT cover existing medical problems? We have NEVER bought any. The money we saved will pay for any medication/treatment we may need? If not? Then that's just tough on us. We will just have to do what visitors to the UK do. :ROFLMAO:

See reply above but these people do cover existing conditions (as long as you tell them about them and pay the extra :cry:):thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
See reply above but these people do cover existing conditions (as long as you tell them about them and pay the extra :cry:):thumb:

:Cool: Thanks dazzer. I MAY give them a try. But WHY change the habit of a lifetime. After all. I AM a Yorkshire man. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
AAARRRR a Yorkshireman....same as my mum (but obviously shes a Yorkshirewoman!!).......say no more!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
my brain not working as it should but Vanessa quotes an insurance site in france that does cover existing complaints (they have to by law apparently)and also insurance topup so check out her post to find it.:thumb:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
my brain not working as it should but Vanessa quotes an insurance site in france that does cover existing complaints (they have to by law apparently)and also insurance topup so check out her post to find it.:thumb:

::bigsmile: Surely that ONLY applies to French?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Te reason Insurance companies wont give long term travelers the cover they require is simple
The risks are to high:Eeek: for what they can expect to get in premiums
and if the Insurance companies cant make it pay ,I suspect your maths are flawed John:Doh:
Serious illness can run into 10s of thousands, death and or repatriation even more, and its the ones left behind who foot the bills:Angry:
To do as the Uk visitors do, you have to be in the Soft hearted UK
other countries wont allow you to sponge off them, it's Pay up or Pi$$ off
Geo

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Apparently not, found the post and copied below.

If you're only coming to France, try exclusive healthcare.com. They don't ask health questions, only age (and will insure ANY age), what's more, they take the EHIC into account, so premiums are usually pretty good.

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
Te reason Insurance companies wont give long term travelers the cover they require is simple
The risks are to high:Eeek: for what they can expect to get in premiums
and if the Insurance companies cant make it pay ,I suspect your maths are flawed John:Doh:
Serious illness can run into 10s of thousands, death and or repatriation even more, and its the ones left behind who foot the bills:Angry:
To do as the Uk visitors do, you have to be in the Soft hearted UK
other countries wont allow you to sponge off them, it's Pay up or Pi$$ off
Geo

I suppose I am one of those people who accept whatever is thrown at us. I accept we have and are going to be ill at some time. As I mentioned above. ALL the Insurance that we originally applied for would not cover existing illness, disease etc. So why pay for something we are not going to get?
I accept we may have a serious accident where limbs are involved (been there). I deplore the plonkers who go abroad without sufficient funds or knowledge, then get into trouble and expect the UK government to sort out their situation/problem with us Tax payers footing the bill. :Angry:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I do fully sympathise with peoples predicaments and the very poor level of cover available
Whats even worse is after forking out a fortune for cover, your then involved in an accident breaking all four limbs, and they refuse to pay out, because you failed to tell them you had measles when you were 3 or broke your toe when 5 so must be pre disposed to bone breakage:Angry:
Geo

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back