TRAVEL INSURANCE small print (1 Viewer)

May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Can I ask members what insurance companies they use if travelling abroad on various trips that would accumulate more than 183 days (6 months).
We are lucky to be travelling in our retirement and after discussing a renewal multi trip policy with Staysure have been told they can not offer us insurance because we exceeded the 183 days in the last 12 months .So take lots of little trips and you can come unstuck.
It covers up to 50 days but can be extended by a extra 100 days at a cost meaning if you went for 60 days you will have used up 150 days of your 183 day allocation.
As we intend to be away for more than 60 days on two occasions during the next 12 months it seems we will need to take out single trip policies.

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Why does this 6 month rule apply to UK vehicles? We have Belgian friends who spend more than 6 months in France and they have no problems.

As an aside but still on insurance the French do not appear to insure the driver but insure the vehicle which means ayone legally able to drive can do so with the owners permission.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
money-banking-life_insurance-accident-sales-claims-insurance_policy-mban1261_low.jpg

And on and on. All the dice are (of coarse) loaded towards the travel insurance companies. They never believe you when you make a claim. Here are some of the questions they ask, and some of the answers they got...........(y)

Q: What is your date of birth?
A: July 15th
Q: What year?
A: Every year.

Q: What gear were you in at the moment of the impact?
A: Gucci sweats and Reeboks.

Q: This myasthenia gravis, does it affect your memory at all?
A: Yes.
Q: And in what ways does it affect your memory?
A: I forget
Q: You forget. Can you give us an example of something that you've forgotten?

Q: How old is your son, the one living with you.
A: 38 or 25, I can't remember which.
Q: How long has he lived with you?
A: 45 years.

Q: What was the first thing your husband said to you when he woke up that morning?
A: He said, "Where am I Cathy?"
Q: And why did that upset you?
A: My name is Susan.

Q: And where was the location of the accident?
A: Approximately milepost 499.
Q: And where is milepost 499?
A: Between milepost 498 and 500.

Q: Can you describe the individual?
A: He was about medium height and had a beard.
Q: Was this a male, or a female?

Q: Mr. Slatery, you went on a rather elaborate honeymoon, didn't you?
A: I went to Europe, Sir.
Q: And you took your new wife?

Q: Did you blow your horn or anything?
A: After the accident?
Q: Before the accident.
A: Sure, I played for ten years. I even went to school for it.

Q: How was your first marriage terminated?
A: By death.
Q: And by whose death was it terminated?

Q: You were not shot in the fracas?
A: No, I was shot midway between the fracas and the navel.

:):):)

OP
OP
mojo
May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just off the phone to Insure&Go who could not be more helpfull.
We had a single 144 day policy with them during the last year for Indochina and India but combined with a seperate China trip and 6 weeks in Iceland with the van we have exceeded the 183 day rule. They said that because they know where and why we travelled they can refer our new policy to the underwriters and are confident of covering us.This time on a annual gold policy ,worldwide including cruise cover for a max of 90 days any one trip.That will cover us ok for our planned Central America Adventure in October to December and the Aussie trip in Jan to March.Europe in the van will work out for us also.
Hope the underwriters are fine about all our travelling,find out on Monday.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Just off the phone to Insure&Go who could not be more helpfull.
We had a single 144 day policy with them during the last year for Indochina and India but combined with a seperate China trip and 6 weeks in Iceland with the van we have exceeded the 183 day rule. They said that because they know where and why we travelled they can refer our new policy to the underwriters and are confident of covering us.This time on a annual gold policy ,worldwide including cruise cover for a max of 90 days any one trip.That will cover us ok for our planned Central America Adventure in October to December and the Aussie trip in Jan to March.Europe in the van will work out for us also.
Hope the underwriters are fine about all our travelling,find out on Monday.
Dread to think what the cost will be:(

OP
OP
mojo
May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Well chaser,I have a heart condition called Coronary artery spasm which ,for me,sounds worse than what it is and does not prevent me from travels.However due to this the cost is four times that of a normal policy.Up from £200 to £800 but over a year of travels that is fine by me.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back