Travel Insurance - recommendations?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Insurance General Discussion' started by Candapack, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Candapack

Candapack Funster

Looking for quotes for annual travel insurance. Being motorhomers, the key is not having restrictions as to length of trips. Our current policy is limited to trips of 30 days, can be extended but that is (a) quite costly and (b) a right pain!
    Any suggestions please?

2. chaser

chaser Funster

3. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

We use LV covered us for a 9 month trip. (y)

4. Tincataylor

Tincataylor Funster

We need travel insurance that will cover 90 days for a single trip. LV above want nearly £140 for this which seems exorbitant to us. We have specified travel in Europe where we are covered by EHIC card so what they think they are providing for this premium we have no idea.

If any of you have found a travel insurer who understands the needs of motor homers in Europe over a winter period please let us know?

The Tinca's

5. JackieP

JackieP Funster

I have just this very second paid for 365 day's medical/repatriation insurance with Travelinsurance.co.uk. With existing medical conditions the gold policy (medical up to 15 million) cost £250 - £183 if I did not have existing conditions. Took me about 10 minutes online to complete.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

We rely on the cover with our Lloyds Bank account, 45 day multi trip can be extened to 60 or 90 multi trip at a cost (£70 & £130).

7. kelv

kelv Funster Life Member

I have travel insurance with lloyds bank silver account £10 per month also covers mobile phone it is not for everyone but if you meet the criterior it is very good see below.
    I have a Silver or Club Lloyds Silver account
    If you have a Silver Account (or Club Lloyds Silver) and you're under 65 you have European Travel Insurance for you and your partner (includes your spouse, civil partner, or partner). Your insurance begins automatically the day you open your Silver account, and continues until the day you close your account. Underwritten by AXA Insurance UK plc.
    Am I eligible for cover?
    You and your partner are covered for travel within Europe as long as your Silver account is active and you’re both under 65 years of age.
    Keep in mind the cover is provided only if you will be living in the United Kingdom for at least six months during each 12 month period.
    You must let us know of any medical conditions you or your partner have (or had), as this may jeopardise any claims you make in the future, so please refer to the Silver policy document (PDF, 1008 kB) for full details of any exclusions.

8. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Our Lloyds account is a platinum premier account and it pays 4% interest on balances between 4-5K wipes out charges especially as we pay staff rates of £8.50 a month, also get a free magazine scription or cinema tickets or meal vouchers, not a bad deal.
    Shame the breakdown cover is limited to the UK and with size restrictions. Used it last night when car broke down.

9. Candapack

Candapack Funster

Thanks all for responses. Have gone with Saga, 60 day trip limit. Not cheap, £193, but went on a recommendation from a friend who has actually had reason to claim and was very satisfied.
    As usual, I left this to the last minute, will make a note to shop around a couple of months before renewal next year, but expect I'll leave it to last minute again. Retired, so clearly have no spare time. :rolleyes:

10. ChrisMac

ChrisMac Read Only Funster

If only travelling in Europe, is the EHIC card not enough? Or is extra insurance an essential.

11. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

Good point...cannot see myself exactly what I would be getting. Just quoted £109.82 with Alpha.

• Medical - 10 million, but covered with EHIC card
    • Cancellation - £1500, If I can't go would have only lost 20 euro deposit and ferry cost
    • Baggage - £1500, vehicle insurance would cover most if not all of this
    • Personal money - £300 , ok probably take the hit here but could live with it
    • Personal Liability - £1 million - this I see could be handy if one of us had a biking accident and injured someone. But then I wonder if that circumstance would be included.
    As for all the other stuff; Scheduled airline failure, End supplier failure, Activity and sports cover, Winter sports etc why would most of us need any of this when traveling in a motorhome?

I don't know, all the quotes I looked at seem to be modeled around airport travel or cruising...just asking the question really?

12. JackieP

JackieP Funster

As far as I understand, the EHIC card that you lucky residents of the UK can have only covers you for emergency cover. If you fall off the pavement and break your ankle you're looking at £10 000 to put it right again. The EHIC will get you in the ambulance and get you to hospital for a consultation but after that the cash register starts counting up.

And, in the case of something more serious the insurance will get you home, even if it's just to be buried near your loved ones.

The policy I have covers medical costs and repatriation only. There's no point in paying out additional premiums for the loss of your sports equipment or cancellation fees if you don't need it.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

Looks as though you could be correct from this snippet from the NHS Choices web site on EHIC cards.

'Your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) will enable you to access the necessary state-provided healthcare in Spain at a reduced cost, or sometimes for free when on a temporary stay. The Spanish health authority determines what treatment is considered necessary and cannot wait until your return to the UK.

The EHIC also covers you for treatment of pre-existing medical conditions, although it does not cover you if you are travelling for the express purpose of obtaining medical treatment. In this case, see our section about Seeking medical treatment in Europe.'

I used the link above and have received a bunch of quotes but they all seem to include the unnecessary additions.

14. denisejoe

denisejoe Funster Life Member

Haven't tried them but there is an insurance company called EHIC Plus, which apparently covers any additional costs incurred not covered by the EHIC. Might be worth a look?

Denise

15. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Tried them a few Year's ago...did not want to know to many conditions...

Everyones heath conditions vary. One insurer will charge more than another for a certain condition and less for something else. All you can do is call around for quotes and yes it is laborious!

Beware comparison sites, yes they make it easier but are fixed

• Like Like x 1
  16. Cobweb

Cobweb

I am just researching travel insurance for the next year and to be honest £140 seems cheap ! Of course all depends on age as well as medical conditions . We are both 67 year old and it seems that for anything longer than 31 days after 66 years gets difficult . Our current worldwide policy does actually cover us for up to 5 months one trip until 70 but since the premium has gone up a lot I wanted to look for alternatives
    and was shocked to see how few there were !

17. jointerjohn

jointerjohn Funster

Check out the nationwide flex plus account! for £10 per month you get worldwide travel insurance, multi vehicle breakdown cover (european) plus a wealth of other benefits it is a no brainer !!!!

18. Cobweb

Cobweb

We have the account but the cover would not include our activities
    medical conditions or length of single trip .

19. Montybe

Montybe Read Only Funster

After purchasing my insurance over the years from various providers (eg: Caravan Club, Post Office, etc...never yet made a claim) I have taken JointerJohn's advice and opened a Nationwide FlexPlus account. Not only does it get me fairly comprehensive travel insurance, all Nationwide accounts are protected under the Financial Services Compensation Scheme. Current accounts in the Nat West are not protected and I will transfer the bulk of my current accounting to the Nationwide.
    However the Travel Insurance covers only 30 days, but they will extend that to trips of up to 180 days for a premium of £50. The net cost is less than purchasing travel insurance of the same calibre elsewhere but you get vehicle breakdown cover (All Europe) as well and other insurances on top.
    Yup, no brainer...

20. glenn2926

glenn2926 Funster

Just insured both myself and my wife with insure and go. Annual policy max 90 days per trip. £115.95 I did not think this was to bad.

• Like Like x 1