Travel Insurance? Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Insurance General Discussion' started by Teasy2007, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Teasy2007

Teasy2007 Funster

Hi, it is the time of year when all the insurance is due, including Travel Insurance.

Last year we used EHIC Plus, we tried a lot of others, but decided not to take out a mortgage to pay for some of them!!

The EHIC plus relies on you using the EHIC card, and we have just received the renewal and in large black letters it states. "This insurance policy provides NO MEDICAL CARE EXPENSES coverage because it is limited to trips to and within European countris that are members of the reciprocal health agreement that underpin the EHIC card."

Now we dont want baggage cover, or delayed flight etc etc, so my question is - What exactly are we paying our £120.70 for?? The only thing I can see is repatriation (of the body!)?

Any ideas or comments would be appreciated. It seems to me we are too easily conned into buying insurance "Just in case". Am I wrong? or will something be bound to happen if for the first year we dont take out travel insurance?

Ginny and Mike

2. SandJ

SandJ Read Only Funster

We use NFU and state no baggage etc
    We state we are in a motorhome and received excellent cover
    Give them a call and see

3. Teasy2007

Teasy2007 Funster

I have just contacted NFU, they do not provide Travel insurance unless you already have insurance (Car house etc) with them.

Ginny

4. DBSilverfox

DBSilverfox Read Only Funster

Interesting thread. I have no travel insurance.

What does it cover? If I have european health card and full breakdown cover for the motorhome, what does travel insurance cover? As has been said baggage, delayed flights, cancelled hotel rooms etc are of no consequence, so what is it for?

David

• Like Like x 1
  5. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

Never found it necessary, so never used it, used the hospitals once or twice and the health card was good enough.

Doug...

6. Teasy2007

Teasy2007 Funster

My thoughts exactly!!

7. billkce

billkce Funster

Excellent point. I think we are all programmed by fear. Insurance companies reap the benefits. :Angry:I'm seriously considering cancelling my travel insurance.

8. kinsleyboy

kinsleyboy Read Only Funster

Not sure I'd want to go away uninsured. What happens if you need medical repatriation?
    Just heard on tv today about a chap who had to be repatriated without insurance at a cost of £90k. His elderly parents had to borrow the money and if they don't pay it back soon will lose their home!.:Wacko:

9. Teasy2007

Teasy2007 Funster

Oh No!! there is the 'What if' again, and I had nearly convinced myself I didnt need the travel insurance after all!

Ginny

10. Teasy2007

Teasy2007 Funster

As an after thought - even if you have insurance the b******* will always find a loop hole so they dont have to pay out!

11. kinsleyboy

kinsleyboy Read Only Funster

If that's how you feel why did you ask for funsters thoughts/comments in the first place?:Eek!:

• Like Like x 1
  12. dshague

dshague Funster

13. butternut

butternut Read Only Funster

Interesting. Tesco has too many limitations for us (age under 65 for over 31 days away for example).
    We have used EHIC-Plus in the past but have also come to the conclusion - my wife having had a TIA and "computer says no" syndrome coming to the fore - that Travel Insurance for Motorhomers in Europe is a waste of money. Look deeply at the Ehic-Plus small print. I think you will find that you don't get an awful lot for your money. And there are many, many ways that they could avoid paying out if they wanted to do so.
    About the only thing we may possibly need is repatriation costs to be covered. But a search for Air Ambulance costs on Google reveals that - for France to UK anyway - you are probably going to be looking at between 5K to 10K (and this includes a probable Lear Jet and all in-flight medical doctors and nurses). In the very unlikely event we will need this we think the savings can run to that!
    Not sure where the 90K in the previous post came from - possibly repatriation from the USA?

14. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

ADAC Plus will give you breakdown cover as well as covering your medical expenses and repatriation....

15. Teasy2007

Teasy2007 Funster

16. Teasy2007

Teasy2007 Funster

I have heard a lot of good reports about ADAC. We have already renewed our breakdown insurance with Comfort for this year, but we will certainly get a quote from them next year, thanks for the information.

Ginny

17. bigmillie

bigmillie Read Only Funster

I think that this was the chap who injured himself jumping into shallow water in the far east insurance co would not pay out, self inflicted and all that included hospital costs etc

18. Norrie

Norrie Read Only Funster

Read that and thought I'd give it a look.

From their website today:-

"Using the links below to acquire ADAC membership requires that your place of residence is in Germany. For technical reasons, our system does not support international addresses."

:Eeek:

19. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Likewise.. :thumb:

visited eye hospital, dentist, doctors several times... never any problems with the health card ..
    Insurance companies use scare tactics to make you think you need it..

• Like Like x 2
  20. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

It must be a scot thing
    That statement is nearly as good as Kens, my static moved today
    You dont need any insurance till you need it:Doh:
    Do You??