Travel insurance, do you have it or not ?

Discussion in 'France' started by DavidG58, Jan 30, 2016.

1. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Until the end of last year we had full worldwide travel insurance though our private medical cover at work, that has now been cancelled due to ridiculous jump in premiums, so we are now looking at alternative travel cover

We have vehicle cover, with my luck and bad battery management we need that, but are now debating personal medical cover

It would appear our European right to medical aid are limited to emergency only, but we have never needed to claim or been poorly for that matter while overseas, so seriously considering not taking anything out for this years trips

Am I taking too big a risk to travel without cover?

If you take policies out are they annual or trip specific?

I am still open minded, it is reasonably cheap to take out, the other option I am considering is one of the bank upgrades, we are with Natwest and I think for £10 / month or so we could be pretty much covered for our type of risks

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  2. clanjones

clanjones Funster

If you get a Nationwide Flexplus account (£10.00 per month) free world wide travel cover up to 31 day trip. I have just phoned them up as we are planning to be away for 90 days ish and the extra cost is £90.00 plus you also get free European breakdown cover for vehicles up to 7.5 tonnes and mobile phone insurance as part of the account. Not saying it is for everyone but we are trying it out!

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. mickyc

mickyc Read Only Funster

EHIC is essential as this will pay the vast majority of any emergency medical treatment you require.

Your question regarding "annual or trip specific" is entirely down to what you prefer. We have LV multi trip insurance which covers for as many 90 day trips you have in any year.

Bear in mind that most policies don't cover for "private" treatment and you will be expected to present yourself at the equivalent of an NHS hospital, and use your EHIC for most of the cost. (Your insurance will pay the rest)

The biggest benefit is repatriation cover, in case of serious injury or death, which could run into tens of thousands without cover.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  4. GEOMAR

GEOMAR Funster

do all foreigners coming to the UK don't have insurance yet get free medical care?. WHY

5. Jim

Jim Ringleader

They don't get free healthcare. Emergency-life-saving-stuff only. Some visitors will be charged 1.5 times the NHS rate on regular treatment.

• Informative Informative x 3
  6. Busman

Busman Funster

I paid £110 for 6 month cover never had to claim but worth it just for that extra peace of Mind I think.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Badknee

Badknee Funster

I'm with Lloyds Gold account and we both get world cover and uk breakdown for the car. I will check how long the trip can be.(y)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Our bank want £12 / month to upgrade account to include various benefits, but it does say we need to call to declare any pre-existing conditions

Also found a mention on another thread for 'insure and go' done an online declaration and we can get annual cover for £107 for both of us for the year, even after declaring ailments

Bev is pleased she normally gets penalised for having slightly elevated blood sugar levels, making her diabetic but with no medication, no premium change for her, but yours truly with high blood pressure who normally gets away with it has a £27 surcharge, still not bad

Think this is a no brainer for 12 months cover removing doubt / risks etc

45 days per trip, no limit to total days away per year

covers all of Europe except Algeria, Lebanon, Jordan, Libya and Lebanon, none of which I even knew were in Europe!!

Think this is the one for us, trips over 45 days are allowed but must preauthorised, no doubt with a change to the premium

https://www.insureandgo.com/travel-...el-insurance?gclid=CMrixqeQ0soCFReZGwodh0IF9g

• Like Like x 2
  9. Zoppydog

Zoppydog Funster

We have a Nationwide Flex Plus account and it's good for us
    Chris

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Chipster

Chipster Funster Life Member

Flex plus here too. Also breakdown cover too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. canopus

canopus Funster Life Member

Staysure - one of the better insurers for the over 50's

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

I always had full cover with my Natwest account with other cost ,but now as I am over 70 I have to pay an additional £50 per year . Still its good value.. Roy

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Neilfg

Neilfg Funster

We have previously used Insure and Go Annual Insurance it only works out out a few quid more than the single trip insurance version and covers winter sports which our Bank Account and Card Insurance didn't. Will have to remember to check the trip limit on the Lloyds Gold account.

I am glad your heading off again David,as these posts keep reminding me of the things we need to do as well, keep them coming. Thanks again (y)

• Like Like x 1
  14. parknride

parknride Funster

We did this, got 90 days cover for as many trips as can fit in per year. Cost about £128 for both of us (can't remember, did it in a tizzy at Dover, was going to go just on Ehic). Lots of people we have met just take EHIC. 2 couples we have met have sorted their funeral plans in Spain, which were considerably cheaper than UK, and its transferable to UK.

Just checked £135.91 with a declaration for me.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

We have a Lloyds Platinum Plus Club account, just upgraded our travel insurance to 62 days (standard is 45 days) multi trip costs £70/year. The car cover is only for UK, but do get 4% interest on balances between 4K-5K also we only pay ½ the monthly fee, we have a staff account as wifey is a Lloyds pensioner.

A friend had experience of the Lloyds cover it worked well, he had a serious head injury in Barbados, after he came out of hospital they flew a nurse down from Canada to accompany him & his wife home & flew them home 1st Class.

Edit:
    One good thing with Lloyds they have a huge list of medical conditions you don't need to declare.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. injebreck99

injebreck99 Funster

ADAC works for me, dirt cheap, no medical questions, haven't had to use it yet though, touch wood etc..!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

They quoted me silly money (over £1000 I think) because one of my conditions wasn't listed in their database and they couldn't quantify the risk.

That is who I used, they were very helpful and the cost was only about £10 to include pre-existing. They also covered for kayaking up to and including grade 3 water :)

• Like Like x 2
  18. Neilfg

Neilfg Funster

Just checked bank account 45 days single trip and Winter Sports cover is included sure they had removed it. We're very lucky our Lloyds Gold account is so old we had it before they introduced charging so pay nothing.

Good to tick an item off the list @DavidG58 is working through. :D

• Like Like x 1
  19. TheTwoOfUs

TheTwoOfUs Funster

Likewise for us.
    And a big plus for us, we are covered when riding the motorbike. Anyone who is covered for riding motorbikes on their travel insurance, check if there is a capacity limit. It's usually 125cc. Lloyds is unlimited.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. sedge

sedge Funster

Yup we kept our Lloyds Platinum account specifically for the Travel cover, so we were paying the £25 pr month bank charge just for that - ie £300.

When I turned 65 they suddenly wanted an additional premium of £600 per annum, even though none of my medical conditions had changed and everything was still absolutely chugging along nicely with the minimum of fuss.

So I told them where to stick it and cancelled the account. We had actually transferred our actual banking to a Santander 123 account a few years ago.

Barstewards - watch them!

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1