Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Any recommendations ? Off to spain/portugal and would like some knowledge of things to see, not just the obvious sites, word of mouth is good but it's good to get some background info/history on say festivals etc, rough guide books ???.
Thanks

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I honestly wouldn't bother.

Pick a place and then look for it on Trip Advisor which also then has reviews on places to see, eat and drink etc.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Any recommendations ? Off to spain/portugal and would like some knowledge of things to see, not just the obvious sites, word of mouth is good but it's good to get some background info/history on say festivals etc, rough guide books ???.
Thanks
Where and what do you fancy Dave, long route, short route, time available, coast hugging, inland, We drove right round the coast from Calais to Porto over about 8 weeks, let me know I'll have a look at the logbook for you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
We carry books rather than rely on the internet. We can relax in any place, at any time and add "Post It" notes (projecting from the edge of the page) to anything which we fancy. At a later time we can redesign our route to take things in.

The internet is wonderful and offers all sorts of up-to-date info, opinions etc but we don't find that as convenient (although we do check when appropriate to supplement our knowledge).

HTH - Gordon

OP
OP
Busman

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Thanks Chris but not what I'm after
Spot on Gordon ex actually what I was try ing to say.
Simon see you just posted about going to southport, ok to have a chat there ??
Don't want to just do Portugal want to get a feel for the place, ie fancy Porto, wine tour, FC Porto home game, up the coast see the big waves, and inland.
Ps don't get me wrong will be dossing on the Algarve as well,
Pps will be carrying a couple of SB's if I can track down JJ

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We carry books rather than rely on the internet. We can relax in any place, at any time and add "Post It" notes (projecting from the edge of the page) to anything which we fancy. At a later time we can redesign our route to take things in.

The internet is wonderful and offers all sorts of up-to-date info, opinions etc but we don't find that as convenient (although we do check when appropriate to supplement our knowledge).

HTH - Gordon

Agree with this.

We found the 'Lonely Planet Spain' book was a really handy reference guide when we were touring in the country earlier this year. Useful to dip into as we travelled around, enabling us to get a quick insight to places we were visiting.

Mike

OP
OP
Busman

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Agree with this.

We found the 'Lonely Planet Spain' book was a really handy reference guide when we were touring in the country earlier this year. Useful to dip into as we travelled around, enabling us to get a quick insight to places we were visiting.

Mike
That's it Isn't it Mike, reference books, rough guide or lonely planet. Nice to have something to peruse.
(y)

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Yes, I think Rough Guides or Lonely Planet guides are generally equally good, so either would probably fit the bill.

Mike

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
I like the Rough Guides and have a shelf full of them.
They aren't perfect but generally if something isn't worth seeing or is just crap they will tell you.
They are quite comprehensive, covering even quite small towns. My only criticism of the Spain and Portugal guides particularly is that they have definitely been written largely by people who are the architectural equivalent of train spotters.
Good nevertheless.
I can bring a couple of examples along to Southport so you can make your mind up before spending your hard earned if you want.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
We use both............ you just have to read between the 'luvvies' lines...

They also tend to be aimed at people on holiday with bigger budgets than an average MH'er

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Rough Guides for us too. Lonely Planet are OK but some of them are very poorly printed with unreadable maps. The RGs are much better produced.

A useful feature is every section starts with a highlights bit which describes the best parts and things in that region.

I used these extensively to plan our current trip.

OP
OP
Busman

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
I like the Rough Guides and have a shelf full of them.
They aren't perfect but generally if something isn't worth seeing or is just crap they will tell you.
They are quite comprehensive, covering even quite small towns. My only criticism of the Spain and Portugal guides particularly is that they have definitely been written largely by people who are the architectural equivalent of train spotters.
Good nevertheless.
I can bring a couple of examples along to Southport so you can make your mind up before spending your hard earned if you want.
Thanks Mike

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back