Travel cards and the exchange rate (1 Viewer)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
We have used FairFx and Halifax Clarity for the last 2 years......

Now we only use the Halifax card. The reason being that Halifax give a 'perfect' exchange rate on the day and (this is the best part) no additional charges for drawing cash because we transfer it back via internet banking the same day! ...... no fees :D

FairFx was OK but they charge €1.50 for each withdrawal

So for us......... Halifax every time (y)

Deleted User
We have a FairFX card gives reasonable exchange rates but do charge a fee for every transaction and withdraws at ATM's also cannot use at paypumps and peage booths.I think this is pretty general with most prepaid and debit cards. We also have a Tuxedo card which we got through CCC exchange rate is absolutely appalling so we have not renewed it. At the end of the day I do wonder if they are worth bother, just use a credit card.

Spongy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have a FairFX card gives reasonable exchange rates but do charge a fee for every transaction and withdraws at ATM's also cannot use at paypumps and peage booths.I think this is pretty general with most prepaid and debit cards. We also have a Tuxedo card which we got through CCC exchange rate is absolutely appalling so we have not renewed it. At the end of the day I do wonder if they are worth bother, just use a credit card.

Spongy
One reason we are dropping FairFX is the charges they now make, so its Caxton, Ukash and Revolut for us now (hubby keeps calling this a Revolt card!).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sleep e carr

Free Member
Nov 30, 2008
Whitby North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Express 6 birth
Exp
Since 1970 first van converted police van
Having never been a card user in so much as I have not had a credit card for ten years I/we recently got a Post office travel money card.

But I have a couple of questions regarding these cards.

Firstly if I top up at today's rate and buy say 500 euro the 500 euro stays just that irrespective of any exchange rates ? May be a daft question but best to ask.

I've had a wee nose round the net and its predicted the pound will weaken so I'm thinking its prudent to buy a heap of euro as we will use them up no doubt.

How many study form RE the exchange rate and buy when it at a good rate ?

What are peoples opinions on how rates will go ?

Lastly we got our card in haste as we dint even know about them till we got great advice here ! We were going to take a heap of cash euro with us on or first trip a couple of monts ago or rely on a debit card at cash points.. Neither are or were a good idea ! So which card should we look to acquire or should we just stay with the Post Office one we have just now.

Thanks,

sleep e carr

Free Member
Nov 30, 2008
Whitby North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Express 6 birth
Exp
Since 1970 first van converted police van
When ever we buy Euro's it's from travelex you can't beat there rate anywhere 500 or more they deliver free on what ever day you ask for it or you can order it and pick it up at your airport or n your ferry. Now and again they send me an email saying we are having happy hour on a certain day then you will find the rate even lower. hoppe this helps

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Used my supercard for the first time last weekend. It is linked to my debit card, the exchange rate was 1.34 and no fees at ATM either. You can link it to a credit card as well. When I used it at ATM two boxes came up, one asked did I want ti be charged for the €50 or their conversion of £38.57, I correctly ticked the €50 and the charge to my account was £37.15. It did confuse me for a moment though. In shops they didnt ask and just charged euros, this was Lisbon. I'm used to them asking in shops but not seen it on an ATM before.
I also have a caxton from before which was free at ATM. I also have a seasons card but only because you can have a second card which is useful if you have a child travelling, you load it with pounds and it can be used anywhere.
My post office credit card is good as well but not for cash.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: DBK

Grandchildren escapee

Free Member
Apr 28, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
since 2013
I too have a Halifax Clarity card - as they don't charge each time you use it and there is no annual fee so I use instead of cash most of the time- you just have to ensure that the credit limit is double what you need as they don't collect the months spend til quite a lot later. Also if you are asked in a shop whether you want to pay in euros or pounds I choose euros as I assume that otherwise I would be paying the shops conversion rate.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Also if you are asked in a shop whether you want to pay in euros or pounds I choose euros as I assume that otherwise I would be paying the shops conversion rate.
Correct - always pay in the currency of the country you are in, never ever let them convert it into sterling!

Last edited:
Reactions: DBK

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back