transverse bed issue

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by mentaliss, Sep 28, 2014.

1. mentaliss

mentaliss

Due to the height of our transverse bed from the floor of our motorhome, I am considering removing the original mattress's and sprung wooden slat's and replacing them with one shaped memory foam mattress, I have considered the problems of poor breathing of the dense memory foam material and in process designing a system of plastic 10mm thick matting so that the foam mattress sits on this which should allow air to pass between the bed support floor and foam mattress.........anyone had the same problem and did you manage to successfully sort the problem?

2. richr

richr Funster

Our bed at home is memory foam and has a vent system built in.

3. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mikeco

Mikeco Funster

Why not just sit the new mattress onto the slats, that's what we have.

Mike

• Like Like x 1
  5. PP Bear

PP Bear Funster Life Member

I'm going to just sit the mattress on the slats too, there's plenty of air already circulated below them, unless yours was sitting on a solid surface? :)

6. fastpat

fastpat Read Only Funster

On previous boats and in current van I use the Froli star, so good we stopped at their little stelplatz to pick up one last week. The good news is that they are at the NEC. Much more comfortable than a slatted system. www.froli.com/en/home

7. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

I believe some people use beach mats (the straw type) under mattresses to give a 'bridge' between the hard base and the mattress thus allowing air to circulate and prevent condensation/moisture. Also a wool blanket may have the same effect as it isn't as tightly woven as a man-made fabric blanket.

• Like Like x 1
  8. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Sorry, I don't understand the OP.. why would you remove sprung slats ?

perhaps a photo would help..

9. mentaliss

mentaliss

Because they are special curbed slats that are fitted to a sub frame which is at least 150mm suspended off the floor which is adding to the height problem!!!

10. mentaliss

mentaliss

great, at least you understand my problem:):)

11. mentaliss

mentaliss

12. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

sorry for being thick.. and probably still have the wrong end of the stick..

no matter.. replacing the slats with beach mat or any other type of mat will not allow the mattress to breathe and you will end up with a wet bed.. It used to be an isuue in the older caravans until the makers replaced the bed seats with slats..

I also had this problem in a double bed in our RV. It had a full size pocket sprung domestic mattress laying on an unventilated flat bed board, the material on the bottom side eventually rotted due to damp which developed into black mold.

To cure it I installed slats across which only raised the mattress by 15 mm .. hence the reason I didn't understand your first post.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

ScotJimland is correct.

When I put the slats that I have already suggested on my boat the reason was to prevent condensation. They worked perfectly everyday for 3 years! They will not raise the bed much more than an inch or so.

Don't forget we are trying to help you here :eek:

• Like Like x 2
  14. peter marshall

peter marshall

Hi
    I have a Transvers bed with slats they are only about 2in above the base, I as thinking if you remove the slats to lower them or some other system,does your bed have a side panel nearly the same height as the slats you will still have the same height to the side ,less of course the drop made by the new deeper aperture filled with the matress. Pete

Ps I use under the slats to store spare bedding, I hope you sort out to your liking.

15. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

It would be helpful to us if we could know what depth your mattress and slats are currently and what you are hoping to reduce them to as, to be honest, an odd inch or so won't make much difference to being able to get in/out.

How high is your bed at present - photos would help too.

16. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

The front bed in our last van had a layer of course foam( like you see in filters etc.) under the mattress.
    Worked well & lighter than slats.

• Like Like x 1
  17. mentaliss

mentaliss

Thanks everyone, but dont need to measure anything!! the fact is both my wife and I struggle to get in and out of the bed DUE to the bed being too high off the motorhome floor, so there's two choices, either I dismantle the whole bed support area and reposition the bed support/frame lower down into the garage area (in which this reduce's the interior height of the garage)..that's a lot of work, OR as already said, .......completely remove the original mattress, remove the suspended sprung slates, and replace the whole lot with one mattress..perhaps I should have this one question, how do you get a mattress to breath without weakening the mattress and raising it more than 15mm off the floor panel

18. Mousy

Mousy Funster Life Member

Could you not just wear high heels to bed?

• Like Like x 2
  19. mentaliss

mentaliss

• Like Like x 1
  20. makems

makems Funster Life Member

Another vote here for the Froli system. Very, very comfortable and has plenty of space for the air to circulate under the mattress. We had a memory foam mattress custom made to put on top (the mattress was an irregular shape).
    Super, super comfortable.