Transporting expensive bikes (cycles) (1 Viewer)

Chris2050

Free Member
Oct 5, 2015
Cambridge, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi there,

My first post, please be gentle! We have set about the exciting process of searching for a motorhome! Besides using it for family holidays (2+2 teenagers), we are keen triathletes and will be using it as well as a race van to transport our 2 cycles to races and training weekends. We also climb so will need to leave the bikes at the van on some days. We can fit a 6m van on the driveway. Just!

Strapping to a bike carrier for either transport or storage is no option. I don't want them scratched or dented or covered by flies or road mess and don't want them on display for theft. The way I see it the bikes either get a spot inside the motorhome, or a spot in a garage.

One option is a van with an extra single side bunk, with cushions removed or even top removed to hold the bikes.

Another option is to buy a motorhome with a garage, but these seem few and far between. The best I've seen is the Dethleffs A5880 which has two bunk beds in the rear, and a decent garage when the lower bunk bed is folded away (which would be fine most of the time).

A bike trailer would be a third option but that seems like a load of extra faff.

How about a box that bolts on to the rear of the motorhome, perhaps as a chassis or tow bar extension, and that acts as an 'external garage'?

Any other ideas, peeps?

Thanks!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Chris 2050

Welcome to fun, I fully understand about not putting bikes on a rack on the back we have a Tandem and two carbon mountain bikes in our garage and would not dream of putting them outside, but our van is a big larger than 6 metres. One option you dont mention above is having a slightly larger motorhome and storing it away from home, 2+2 teenagers could get a bit cosy in a small van.

The bike trailer would be a faff you are right. The box bolted to the back would be functional but would add to the length of the motorhome so I guess you would have to remove this to get it on your drive.

Motorhome and Caravan show at the NEC next week, might be worth the trip for a good look around what is available.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
A lot of PVCs (panel van conversions) have a transverse bed at the rear that folds up to give space for this very reason ,they also have tie-down points to secure large items.Look around a large moho retailer and you will get some ideas.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Chris2050

Free Member
Oct 5, 2015
Cambridge, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Good point Martin. We have flight cases but they are a major hassle to pack, plus the bike needs to be super clean - not something that I would particularly enjoy when tired cold and hungry after a race!

Is anyone able to identify the trailer in this video, which apparently can be reversed without hassle?

My thought about the box bolted to the back is that it could be removable, in a similar fashion to the Thule & similar boxes, and then stored to one side of our driveway.

Chris

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
mounting a box for 2 bikes on the back of a motorhome is fraught with problems. to be secure it will be pretty heavy and this load is increased on the back axle eating into a limited payload. a custom box trailer would be more suitable as you could kit it out to carry spares and a workshop as well as bolting in custom transport racks

Upvote 0

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Hi, having tried various motorhome types, we are now using an Hymer with a Garage, its 6.5m.
We climb and we bike, when we climb. bikes out of site in Garage, when we bike, gear in Garage.
Expensive bikes and expensive gear is worth keeping safe, and away from view.
Hope you find your solution, we did. Eventually.

Upvote 0
Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Same problem here - we take 3 bikes away with us , one of which is worth megabucks and didn't want to put it outside on the back so bought a motorhome with garage. Downside is that its just over 7.mtr!

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Nothing else will do.
You need a garage van!

Bikes will be out of sight and out of mind. Nothing to attract the opportunist thief.

If you have to be under 6m, buy a tent for the teens!

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Good point Martin. We have flight cases but they are a major hassle to pack, plus the bike needs to be super clean - not something that I would particularly enjoy when tired cold and hungry after a race!

Is anyone able to identify the trailer in this video, which apparently can be reversed without hassle?

My thought about the box bolted to the back is that it could be removable, in a similar fashion to the Thule & similar boxes, and then stored to one side of our driveway.

Chris

There were a few manufacturers of trailers like that, including a French one who made some really well designed ones from what I've seen. Unfortunately, I think they have all ceased trading.

You can get a platform which fits on a towbar but then you would probably need a custom box made out of aluminium to fit on it.

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2014
Putney, London
Funster No
MH
Still Just Looking :-(
Exp
I think there is a Chausson which stores the vertically bikes in a garage on the UK passenger rear. Can't recall the model number.

Upvote 0

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
The chausson flash 610 has a garage with ott access to it if that's possible....
Over 6m but still a lovely compact yet roomy looking van..
Trouble is no used models available yet and the new ones seem to be in popular demand..
Ta Andy

Upvote 0

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
We take our bikes in the garage as my husbands full suspension mountain bike is his baby and he won't leave it in sight due to value.
We made a rack for the garage which has a thing on it to bolt through the forks after removing the front wheel. This means the bike sits lower so the garage height is flexible and the front wheels go in wheel bags for protection. The bikes don't move so dont get scratched etc. We had 3 bikes under a single bunk.

Upvote 0

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
If you can find one the Laika 7.1G has a garage and bags of room. We carry a 100cc scooter in the garage and two bikes on the outside racks .... and rather nice MH too

Upvote 0

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
I will be building a box to mount on the back ,demountable m/bike platform on the rear of mine total length 6.4m
4.JPG
5.JPG

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back