Free Member
Apr 10, 2012
Wales
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2008
I.m going to upgrade my renault traffic camper van to a motorhome. I want to be able to carry up to two canoes on the roof. My neighbour owns a "Royale" Motorhome and told me that she tried transporting her one canoe on the roof when travelling through France but found her Motorhome became very unstable particularly going round bends.She reckoned its the fact that the body is built of aluminuim and therefore the canoe made the vehicle top heavy,She had to push it through the side window and carry it that way for most of the trip.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what makes would be suitable
Or is it not possible to carry anything that heavy?

Feb 25, 2008
Barril da Alva, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
on and off for the whole of my existance
top heavy??

Hi,

I M H O, I do not believe that the wieght of 1 or even 2 canoes on the roof of a motorhome would seriously unstablise it.
People put roof boxes and solar panels etc on the roof and do not seem to have any problems.....

I would suggest how ever, if you plan on driving many miles, I would try and put a rack for them up there.

Happy travels and see you about....

Cheyne,

(Canadian canoe owner)

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Can't help as I have no idea how much a canoe weighs. However on previous vans when my kids were smaller I used to carry all sorts of stuff on the roof, either in a roof box or sometimes just tied down and never noticed any instability.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
As well as the weight side winds would be an issue. I have carried kyaks on a car roof but would not want them any higher. As Peter says an inflatable one may be a better there quite a few good ones available.

Upvote 0

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
buy a motorhome with a rear window big enough to get it in:thumb:

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We have a couple of kayac Sevylor's that we travel with on the roof. Just tied on to the roof rails with kayak straps .:thumb:

Upvote 0

Dereckerick

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Merseyside
Funster No
Exp
Just had a rack put on by Phil at Rhino installs to carry a 17' sea kayak.

No problem at all, he comes out and does it in a couple of hours. I was concerened that the drag would rip the rack off but its a quality job and solid as a rock.

The only way it could be top heavy is if a put a few up and filled tham with water!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

Eribol

Free Member
Apr 10, 2012
Wales
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2008
Canoes on roof reply thanks

Thanks to all who replied,
Shall just go for for it when the right vehicle comes along and buy some roof bars.
Cheers
:Cool:

Upvote 0
Aug 23, 2011
Huntingdon, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Lyseo 727g
Exp
since 2011
I would dearly love to carry my 16' open canoe on top.

Met a couple at Chertsey last year who carried two playboats on the roof of their coachbuilt. He said that he had just mounted a couple of Fiamma roofbars and hauls the boats up the side of the bus, securing them to the bars. He carries a short ladder (on the bike rack) to access the roof from inside of the van through the roof light as he didn't want permanent steps mounted on the vehicle for security reasons.

Said the system worked very welll.

Link Removed

Upvote 0
Jul 27, 2011
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Newbie but old seadog
I carry two 13ft Venture Kayaks on a standard Fiamma roof rack with integral ladder. Had to build a lightweight folding crane to lift them up with a winch for single-handed operation but it works well and only cost me about £30 for the bits. I carry the kayaks upside down so the rain doesn't fill them up and add to the weight.

Upvote 0

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
canoes

Many years ago we just put a large inner tube soft inflation on roof and tied canoes :thumb: down, perfect solution

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We used to carry two Tarpon 130's on the roof, they weighed 35kg each, Went everywhere with them, up top there, no problem.

Link Removed

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2008
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt autoroller 700
Exp
on and off 20 years
We carry racing kyacks on the van from K1 to K2's. They sit in purpose made aluminium V bars on top of fiamma roof rails. It works really well. Getting them on and off can be dififcult but I had a pole made up with a V at the end so that they can be lifted up from the ground. With someone already on the roof to recieve them.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back