Transport of spare LPG bottle?

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Craig Rogers, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers Read Only Funster

I will be converting to Gaslow soon, however, my Flash 03 only has a locker size for one bottle which is fine.

However, if I was to also carry a BBQ, what are the rules (if any) on carrying another LPG bottle not stored in the locker? In my case it would be stored in the garage?

2. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

why not just have an external BBQ point fitted?

3. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Maybe just an LPG sticker on the door.

4. aba

aba

hi craig
    im not too clear on this one either although i would think that it needs to be secured in some way and maybe fit another LPG sticker on the garage door so that in an emergency it highlights where the other bottle is.

although maybe your best option would be to have an external tank fitted under the van then if needed you can carry the spare bottle for your bbq in the existing locker.
    the other advantage of this option is you are not limited to a 6 or 11kg gaslow bottle because if you use the van a lot through the winter you may be filling the bottle more than your moving.

i like the gaslow idea but if you end up snowed in on a site for a while you can run out of gas.

i have a single 11kg gaslow and a 13kg calor and a spare 6kg calor lite although i am thinking of going for a single underslung tank and getting rid of the gaslow bottle but keeping the option of using standard bottles if the need arises.

5. Craig Rogers

6. icantremember

icantremember Funster

Craig, if you secure it in the garage I think you would have to provide at least one drop-out vent in the floor and ensure it is kept clear......I agree with Paul (haganap) that the safest and simplest solution is an external BBQ point.
    It should be ok to fit the BBQ point in the gas locker as this should already be vented.
    Brian

7. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Rather than FIT a gas point as such, I just t'd into with a tap to the feed line ( down wind of the regulator of course ) in the gas locker, attached a 2 metre length of gas pipe and added a QR fitting to the end of that.
    No holes in the body work at all and a very flexible usage too :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  8. steveclecy

steveclecy Read Only Funster

Jaws solution may just suit me, as well. Our Chausson will only accommodate a single bottle (although it will take a 13 kg propane) and I have been thinking of a second bottle in the garage but have concerns about (a) security and (b) gas drop outs.

Steve

9. Craig Rogers

That's pretty much what I'm suggesting, however, instead of the flexipipe being in the locker, I'll just put the quick release in the locker and attach the BBQ to that via the flexipipe.

That means the flexipipe is only attached when I need to use it, so less pipe and joints to leak.