Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
When you go for a long term stopover in Spain, what do you do for transport to thje shops, markets etc. Do you hire cars or bikes when you are down there ?
(Excludes those with toads or motorcycles in tow of course :Smile:)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
most walk or scrounge lifts from others with m,bikes or cars or 5er pickups. some can take their campers specially if wilding . if you keep moving use the super markets on route then stop for a couple of weeks then move on.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
we had the best of both worlds when we went to Bonterra park......

sis in law lives in castillon, a couple of miles down the coast, and doesnt drive much (lived in spain for 30 odd years and afraid to drive:Eeek:) so we had her car for the time we were there.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 22, 2008
Funster No
We take a couple of bikes with us on a rear bike carrier, we don't use sites much now,preferring to wild camp ,but when we did use sites more we used to take our van out most days as if we stayed put too long we began to suffer from cabin fever and loved spending the day on beaches etc enjoying a Barbi or something, that's why we prefer wild camping I suppose, our van is about 27 ft but we never had problems going out daily in it.:thumb:

Ant&Debs

Free Member
Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago
When you go for a long term stopover in Spain, what do you do for transport to thje shops, markets etc. Do you hire cars or bikes when you are down there ?
(Excludes those with toads or motorcycles in tow of course :Smile:)

We have 2 quads in the garage of the 5ver for just that reason.:Smile:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Nice couple of Welsh people two plots down from us have negotiated a terrific deal with a local car hire company for the whole of the four months they are here,,

Cannot remember the exact price,, but it works out roughly the same as it cost me the extra in fuel to drag my car and trailer all the way here :thumb:

Spose it would make a difference on the time of year.

They have bought their bikes for local rides, but got the car for distance work sight seeing etc.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi
we used bicycles and thoroughly enjoyed trips out to the beach, markets and along the coast, the weather being as it is makes cycling a real pleasure.. with panniers on both bikes we could carry all we ever needed from the shops.. however, bike theft is rife, we had one stolen outside Lidl in Roquetas while my 16 yr old son was guarding them .. the guy just jumped on it and rode off .. our own fault for not having it chained up. :Angry:
For longer excursions car hire was relatively cheap .. they delivered and collected from your pitch..

jim

Last edited:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Cool: We have ALWAYS used our bikes for shopping, visiting and generally riding around to view and to excercise. NOW, we have a TOAD. BUT, still use our bikes most of the time. The car is there for when we have larger things to fetch or the weather is too inclement to use our bikes for booked visits and appointments.
Many people on Camping Almafra use the local Bus or Train which is just a couple of hundred yards from the camp gates. They can visit anywhere between Valencia and Alicante. :thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Many people on Camping Almafra use the local Bus or Train which is just a couple of hundred yards from the camp gates. They can visit anywhere between Valencia and Alicante. :thumb:

Hi John..

I forgot about the CHEAP modern public transport .. brilliant, we used the bus to visit Almeria, no parking worries or getting lost .. the 12ml trip was only 2€ return.. :thumb:

jim

OP
OP
dellwood33

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Thanks for all of your replies.
Bikes would be an option, but Barbara would need an electric trike due to her MS.
So perhaps it would be public transport or a hire car :Smile:

Detourer

Trader - Tour Operator
Jul 30, 2007
Spain and Morocco
Funster No
MH
4x4 OverLander
Exp
20+ years
Stay away from the Airport or High street hire companies and look via the "Agents".......such as Arrow Car Hire near Malaga....or the many others shown in the English Local papers for your area.

We have had [from Arrow] for over 3 years now, new 5door cars for as little as 245 euro per month all incl.......cheaper than buying!

bevo

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
north west
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
public transport

we always use public transport when in spain.
just make sure there is a bus stop or train station within walking distance.
as stated almafra has both at the end of the road.
if your going into benidorm from almafra use the bus ( 1 euro 20 cents when we were there).
the train station in benidorm is out of the way so a good walk or a bus into town.
the train goes into alicante, worth a visit the views from ontop of the hill by the harbour are lovelly.
no need to walk up there is a lift inside the hill taking you up to the top.
if you use public transport you can stop off at one of the many bars and have a drink.
i could go on and bore you silly about this area as it's our favourite destination.

OP
OP
dellwood33

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
I get the idea that public transport in Spain is a much better option than in the UK. I don't think I have been on a bus for 5 years and the only train I have been on in the last 20 was a steam powered one :Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I get the idea that public transport in Spain is a much better option than in the UK. I don't think I have been on a bus for 5 years and the only train I have been on in the last 20 was a steam powered one :Smile:

Better, cheaper and regular.. same in France..

OP
OP
dellwood33

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
I know that we were impressed with the Dutch transport system - very efficient & clean, with bus drivers who wait for people to be seated before moving off.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back