Transmar Mobisat Aerial & Comag SL30/12 (1 Viewer)

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
Udo has the above two items for his TV reception.

I know it works as I saw it working perfectly when we collected him in Germany.

We've never managed to get a decent signal strength in the UK. It's often around 16% and our auto searches have revealed no TV channels thus far.

OK, so we've had no idea which satellites to look for until now. I have a good app on my iPhone which has helped but still very low signal strength. I would imagine signal strength should be much higher, but no matter what position we adjust the aerial to, we can't seem to improve it.

I'm wondering if it's the aerial? Is the one we have (pictured below) any good? Or would it benefit from updating?

I'm genuinely as a loss on what to do to get reliable TV reception. Any help would be appreciated.

05b50e88ab6f5c85f9b5fbd23f4eb322.jpg

e760f00601d736fde88463842f4759c3.jpg

Voyger1010

Free Member
Oct 25, 2013
UK
Funster No
Mobisat

Hi , read your thread and think this link may help with your problem, Broken Link Removed
If you can lock onto Astra 28 satellite you should have around 60%-70% signal strength so long as there are no trees , brick walls or other structures in the way. Hope it helps:Smile:

OP
OP
Bellini
Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
Thanks!:thumb:

Another kind gent suggested the LNB (whatever that is) could be faulty.

I'll have another play with it in an open space to be sure.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Voyger1010

Free Member
Oct 25, 2013
UK
Funster No
mobisat

well it could be, but also it could just be that the dish is not aligning to the satellite, In UK Astra 28 is the satellite that the dish should be pointing towards at 28.2/28.5 DEGREES EAST of South– ASTRA 2F/1N/2A/2B/2D + EUTELSAT 28A/28B Satellite TV Channel.
If you can borrow a sat meter and put it in the coax cable between the aerial and the receiver you will be able to see if the LNB (low noise block) is receiving the signal. This page may help http://www.satellitesuperstore.com/lnbs.htm
all the best:Smile:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Thanks!:thumb:

Another kind gent suggested the LNB (whatever that is) could be faulty.

I'll have another play with it in an open space to be sure.
the LNB is the part that the cable connects to on the dish and receives the data to pass down the wire to the decoder. with the type of dish you have fitted its highly likely to be a non standard part and expensive. that's if you can still get them.

if it was me I would try a replacement cable first. no need to fully fit it at first just run the cable through a skylight and plug in each end. surprising how many times a corroded cable causes poor signal. but Ive seen a few. if the replacement lead works install it properly. only about £5 to try so much cheaper than unnecessarily replacing a proprietary LNB and that's if you even can

geo glasgow

Free Member
Feb 2, 2014
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail cheyenne
Exp
there is no servisable part ,

lnb /low noise block is the componant at the end of most conventional satellite dishes ,end of the sticky out arm where the cables run from,
this dish you have is a flat reflective plate antenna not a style of lnb as we know it, , firstly was it showing you astra 19east in germany like german tv
DSF, sat1. , or did u see freesat uk running on it? is this model self locating meaning it finds the satellite you require, again if it is then the small control box that comes with theses models may have an old freq or transponder for uk freesat28east that would need changed,,
if its a manual find satellite then does it have like a turning crank or similer inside the roof under the dish give me this info and i can get this worki9ng for you,,,,, i own Broken Link Removed uk so i should know everything about this:winky: .. damaged cable water in cable ,cable end outside with no self amalgamation rubber tape to seal the cable connector to dish causes problems or simply the meter or lack of meter is stopping you finding the correct channels or satellite, tell me the above info please,,,:thumb:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
You might usefully call Roadpro for advice, since they import and sell Kathrein systems. I have always found them very helpful. Your problem may be with the settings of the controller / decoder unit which comes with the Kathrein 'dish'. Perhaps yours is not programmed to find Astra 2 satellites at 28º east of south.
Here is the link to Roadpro - the current version of your 'dish'.
Broken Link Removed

geo glasgow

Free Member
Feb 2, 2014
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail cheyenne
Exp
i would say its important to know what model theres is

auto seeking or manual .
finds channels and satellite its self (when set correctly)
or is there winder etc inder dish inside van,,
does it have a dedicated receiver that needs new channels from the uk added as this does happen , only genuine freesat and sky uk boxs update automatically for channels and transponders, down load the model from the page i supplied you, feel free to pm me on the forum i can assist you with this , but model number and assistance of what all the eqpt you have installed from receiver to dish,,

geo glasgow

Free Member
Feb 2, 2014
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail cheyenne
Exp
ok start with sat box Comag SL30/12

model
Comag SL30/12

hd multi satellite receiver
you can store lots of satellite on this however
when u use this for uk tv channels are mixed up and some may be missing,
what i would do is firstly do u have a perfect signal from uk freesat or sky in the house??
yes, then take the box into your house make sure uk channels work in the house..
secondly do u have a genuine sky uk box or freesat box in the house or anywhere to try in the motorhome?
this i would try first because you need to establish that both box and dish works,, seriously pm me or call me il run you through a couple of self help fixs,s no probs, even if shops or online sell these dishes they don't always have time talk to people who have adopted systems form other sellers that's the way it is they will refer you to the satellite dish companies site and info pass the buck ,, to be fair its not a dealers interest to talk all day on phones assisting people who could have bought from another dealer abroad or on ebay ,, either way let me know .:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back