Translation required

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Philcott, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Philcott

Philcott Read Only Funster

Knauss (sp?) Germany have very kindly sent me a PDF of the manual for my 1991 FFB Europa. Given her age, I think they have done a grand job in finding it for me. Top marks to Knauss for their customer service.

It is all in German as is to be expected and I was wondering if anyone had the time and inclination to translate it for me.

If so, please get in touch.

Many thanks in anticipation.

2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Google translate.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Philcott

I know it does Brian, but I don't know how to copy and paste it into something that it can work off. Currently it is a PDF that is sideways on - if I can get Google to do it, can someone tell me how please.

I feel such a numpty sometimes, - ask me about autosexing chicken breeding and I could possibly blind you with science, but I come to grief with things like translating languages and how motohome 'things' work!:Blush:

4. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

PM sent

PM sent :thumb:

5. teddybard

teddybard Read Only Funster

:BigGrin:

Try Babylon.com

6. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

Google translate ist sehr nützlich für diese Art von Dingen. Und auch ganz lustig zu bemerken, dass Sie (die jemals wird dies gerade liest) just to google ist gegangen, um herauszufinden, was es ist, dass ich hier schreibe übersetzen!

Sag mir nicht, du bist nicht mit ein wenig kichern :Rofl1::Rofl1:

:Eeek:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

Oh yeah, Google will not always be word perfect :Blush:

8. Onderweg

Onderweg Funster

:Rofl1: :Rofl1: :Rofl1: Google German :Cool:

Paul

9. ralphman

ralphman Read Only Funster

i have had this same problem after 3 hours i gave up, i use copy and paste and use google translate frequently, but it you cant seen to copy and paste a pdf (correct me if wrong) i have an instructions for hymer, solar panels etc all in german . i have tried sending the pdf to my e-mail and trying from ther but still no luck, help would be great on how to do it :thumb:

thanks sam

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Funster

Normally you can copy out of a PDF although it does depend on your reader, type and level that you have.

I find that Goggle translate is pretty good and it's good enough for understanding such a document, sure it will make mistakes but not too many and they are usually grammatical.

Also keep in mind that there is a restriction on the amount of data you can paste in to google translate, can't remember the limit but it will mean that you'll have to do a page at a time which anyway makes it easier when it comes to pasting it back in to your new doc that you create.

Good luck !

• Like Like x 1
  11. ralphman

it wont let me copy any of it, it has a type of circle with quarter lines instead of the normal curser when you hover over text. google translate would be adequate for understanding it if only i cld get to that stage. i have adobe reader but i do not have microsoft office or such like, its on windows vista and i use firefox , as i say normally i can copy and paste things as and when but just not pdf's :cry:

• Like Like x 1
  12. sedge

sedge Funster

Local college that teaches German, offer to cross their palms with silver?

Otherwise my old next door neighbour is a commercial Translator if you'd like his phone number? Of course being as it's his livelihood, he will charge.

• Like Like x 1
  13. BritStops

BritStops Trader BritStop Owner

My old Dethleffs had a manual in German too, and as it was a paper copy I didn't have the option of copying and pasting on the pooter (well I could have, but it would have made the screen a bit mucky!) :Rofl1:

I used to laboriously type out sections of it into Google translate as and when I felt like it or needed to! I started with the labels for all the diagrams so at least I had some idea what the knobs, switches, taps and displays were for.

As has been pointed out, Google translate is not infallible, and I also found it often didn't know the technical vocab frequently used in the manual. A bit of educated guesswork often got me there in the end, though. Sometimes I'd run it through Google and Babylon, but found Google to be better.

I suppose you could also try asking on one of the German forums like kastenwagenforum.de. If you use Chrome as a browser then it will offer to translate the forum for you (again, it doesn't always cope well with the vernacular).

Good luck!

Steve :Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

I don't use Windoze anymore but you could try this:

http://www.openoffice.org/index1-passthru.html?utm_expid=57643286-7&utm_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.openoffice.org%2Findex1-passthru.html

It is an excellent free alternative to MS Word. Then maybe you could transfer your PDF into OpenOffice and try to cut and paste from there?

:Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  15. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

What year is your Hymer?

16. ralphman

its a k reg 1993 :BigGrin:

17. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Is that the model with the twin headlamps, or an earlier version?

If it is the twin headlamp series, try this link:
    https://gebrauchte.hymer.ag/Anleitungen/1269361.pdf

If your van is an earlier version then, if you can find someone with an English manual, get them to read off the serial number printed at the bottom of their document (it's usually next to the model year detail). Substitute that number in place of the one at the end of the string above.

If all else fails, contact Hymer in Bad Waldsee - they are usually very helpful and can e-mail a pdf to you.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Philcott

Thanks to you all for your suggestions. :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  19. ralphman

thank you very much, i got excited & downloaded it before looking out of the window lol, it is the single headlight A class, so if i dont get a serial no. or pdf link on here then i shall contact hymer, thx for your help so far :BigGrin:

20. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

Hi Sam,

Try using these websites......

http://www.onlineocr.net/default.aspx

http://translate.google.com/#en/de/

You might will need to upload a page at a time but it will read and convert an image into editable text. Then copy and paste the text into Google Translate, then copy and paste the English in to your text reader of choice (phew!).

It does work, I have just done this for Kath (Philcott).

If you have any problems post them here and I will have a look later (work calls)

Grahame :Smile:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013