Transits and how to keep greedy paws off it! (1 Viewer)

Paddyfrog

Free Member
Mar 25, 2017
France
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
We drove our new (old) Transit/Challenger home yesterday. We have yet to find secure shelter for it, so it is currently parked outside l'eglise (local church).
What have others done exactly to keep less-than-honest visitors from meddling? We would like to change the locks (to what pls?) etc before we go away for a weekend. Imagine coming back from exploring a lovely medieval village perched on a pinnacle only to find our new MH no longer where we parked it. Unbearable!

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
If you have rotating drivers seat, see if you can drill the turntable and secure the seat with a padlock to lock facing habitation area.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We use long m/cycle wire security straps between the two front doors, scroats might be able to get in the hab door but it would be a bugger trying to drive off with them there and the growler alarm making their ears bleed. :D2

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
We have fitted these to our work vans (new Transits) it prevents the scum picking the standard locks with the pick lock devices sold on the internet.
Broken Link Removed

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Hykee locks as a replacement and an obd port guard as an absolute minimum. or remove the relay for the fuel pump system until you get an auto electrician to fit a kill switch to the relay supply circuit

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hykee locks as a replacement and an obd port guard as an absolute minimum. or remove the relay for the fuel pump system until you get an auto electrician to fit a kill switch to the relay supply circuit

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

Paddyfrog

Free Member
Mar 25, 2017
France
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp

Sorry I am new to all this. What I have always called a camper van is what you now call a motor home. It takes time to get ones head around the jargon. So whoat is an "obd port guard" please?

Upvote 0
Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Place under drivers seat. Make sure writing points upwards.
latest

Upvote 0

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Sorry I am new to all this. What I have always called a camper van is what you now call a motor home. It takes time to get ones head around the jargon. So whoat is an "obd port guard" please?
sorry, i should of said. an obd port is a built in socket below the steering wheel for on board diagnostics. it is designed for garages to access the brain or ecu that controls the engine and immobiliser/
an obd port guard is a lock that blocks access to the port without a key

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
In the theft from one of our 2017 transit customs, as far as we can tell/ guess the drivers door lock was picked, using a pick lock key, then the rear doors were opened by plugging a device into the obd port, allowing the thieves to help themselves to the equipment in the back of the van. Fitting the TVL door lock will hopefully prevent the scroats picking the standard lock? Looking for a positive there was absolutely no damage to the van.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Just ordered a new hykee lock and obd port lock if you like will let you know how I get on with fitting.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

Paddyfrog

Free Member
Mar 25, 2017
France
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
Thank you for the hints and pointers. We'll get to it in time. But with weekend approaching I can't wait to spin our wheels, and weather report is good here in France too.

Upvote 0

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
I thought it was the transits before the 2014 model that had locks that were easily picked. I have a 2015 tranny so thought reasonably ok. Currently use a clutch claw to deter a drive away, nothing of value left in van alwasy in the ruck sack.

On security gone round and round in circles reading all the views from funsters that it's no longer fun...brain hurts!

Might be useful to hear views from other Transit based owners as it ssem they are more vulnerable than the contineatl based vans

Upvote 0

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Just seen a thread re Transit based MHs so above idea sorted.
Ooopps few typos , never happened with pens.!

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Try garrison locks on the internet the instructions aren't great but a DIY job. The lock looks different outside so should hopefully persuade them to try the next van not mine!! Now thinking about fitting a flashing blue led (dummy alarm) .

Upvote 0

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
I have tought about a LED to indicate an alarm is fitted, but being a dummy. But if this were to catch on then the scabbies would think every van with a flashing LED might or might not be alarmed and then play the odds or just get reckless.

Result, in the long run , more damaged vans and a decrease in overall deterrent value of any sort if flashing LEDs and alarms in general.

Upvote 0
May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
Poo on the seat no one will steal it:whistle:

Upvote 0
Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
We have fitted these to our work vans (new Transits) it prevents the scum picking the standard locks with the pick lock devices sold on the internet.
Broken Link Removed

Sorry to say but those keys are renowned for being easy to pick with a biro. They were all over the bike forums a few years back, check out yuotube.

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Sorry to say but those keys are renowned for being easy to pick with a biro. They were all over the bike forums a few years back, check out yuotube.

That's not the point. They stop your ign lock being gauged with a tibbe pick.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back