Transit Mk6 OSF drain hole drip (1 Viewer)

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
Hi

I am going absolultey barmy over this so any ideas welcome.

My OSF sill drain hole is constantly wet and dripping water. So much so even after being undriven for a week or so, and dry, it still drips. Suggesting >1L of water is trapped somewhere. It appears from/about the drain hole right under the driver door next to the mudflap.

Some details:-
- It comes out the same side (front) regardless of if van is parked on slope nose up or nose down, suggesting water is coming from wing area.
- The drain hole is clear for at least 20-30cm inside - beyond that I have no way of trying to follow it!
- The water is NOT anything to do with habitation area
- The water is "fresh" water, e.g. likely to be rain water or some really weird condensation problem. It is not engine coolant, screen wash
- The water is not from AC unit.
- The under windscreen drain system seems to work (e.g. captures water from most of the windscreen and sends it via a pipe to the ground)
- No water via door or cab area - it does seem to be from engine/bonnet area

I cannot see any access into any drainage system from the engine bay.

I'm guessing Its some pine leaves or something that have blocked a drain hole causing water to back up and drip slowly over time. But how on earth can I find it and clear it!

Thanks in advance

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I was going to suggest the Transit forum but you have a post there already :roflmto:

How about blowing compressed air up the hole ? not too hard of course but it might clear the blockage or maybe indicate where it goes to .. or rod it with some stiff wire ..

jim

OP
OP
activecampers
Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
I've tried stiff wire (old hangar) - and get about 30cm in then it gets stuck - but then again no idea if thats a blockage or just the bodywork!! Can't find access from the top :(

I've tried blowing up the hole (as in blowing, and not with TNT or C4) but there is enough other holes to make this pointless. I will have access to (I believe) a real compressor on Friday so that is on my list to try then.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
activecampers
Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Hi peter
I'll try it with air first :) Gut feel is there are too many other escapes as it goes all along the sill so I would not get enough in.

I need one of those doctors flexible cameras!

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
I had the same problem on the nearside. I cured it by removing the step trim and found there were two "drain holes" blocked with sealent. A quick poke with a piece of wire then a spray of WD-40 before I replaced the trim has cured it.

Good luck, Frank.

OP
OP
activecampers
Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Cheers

I've been investigating this thoroughly! Taken the entire step out and tools/jack - but the water isn't coming in from here. I still don't really know if its an issue or not. The dealer says they saw another van where the transit bulkhead lacked some sealant.....

Water isn't getting "in" the van - I'm 100% sure of that

Not driven the van for a while so will see on next trip!

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
I agree with what you say about being unable to locate the entry point of the water. I'm still looking. It really is strange, after washing the van there may be no leakage but aftre a heavy dew it might have leaked for days. So frustrating.The good thing is it can now escape:Smile:.

OP
OP
activecampers
Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
I agree with what you say about being unable to locate the entry point of the water. I'm still looking. It really is strange, after washing the van there may be no leakage but aftre a heavy dew it might have leaked for days. So frustrating.The good thing is it can now escape:Smile:.

That is about the size of it! Overnight dew seems to be the cause!

Frank772

Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
none yet
Exp
none
A similar problem happens in my Mazda Mx5, I have found old fashioned net
curtain wire (like a small coiled spring) the best tool for the job, stiff