Transit minibus

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Bruce, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Bruce

Bruce Read Only Funster

Hi well thats it we have now bought our first van for converting. It is a Transit 16 seat minibus 1999 (banana engine)2.5d
    First job was to take out all the seats in the back, so that any welding could be done. It is not too bad so out with the mig after years, hope it still works!!
    Not sure how to give updates yet so some help needed please
    I have one question ,what thickness of ply for lining and best way to fix it must be able to hold some fittings.
    PROBABLY A LOT MORE QUESTIONS LATER
    Thanks for any help....Bruce

2. tofo

tofo Funster

Thinnest you can find
    Mine was 4 mm from b&q

Use the lightest materials you can

When it's stripped out as far as your going

Take it to a weighbridge then check your axle weights
    Then work out what you will take including your fuel water and waste .
    people and stuff as well

Then you will find the amount available for the conversion not a lot
    So be very carefull

They don't like overloaded vehicles on the road
    :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  3. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

use 4mm ply and self tappers into the "ribs" where it touches. best to add a few 1x1 battens behind the ply to allow for secure fixings later

4. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I have been through this a few times and I live in the buggers..

If you get stuck give me a shout and I will give you my best advice...

I am a fulltimer living in the middle of all the mistakes I have made...

If you are welding I would say do it with the heaviest grade you are comfortable with.

When it comes to lining. For the floor 18mm marine ply. For the walls 4-5mm ply for non supporting stuff. for structural stuff 12mm.. That is only my opinion but it is based on practical experience...

Biggest thing you should consider in my opionion is insulation and plumbing to be honest. Make sure whatever you use works first time and is easy to access....

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bruce

Bruce Read Only Funster

Hi dont know if you will get this reply ,I hope so. Thanks for your advice but not sure about axle weights etc. my minibus had 15 rear seats in it and so could hold 15 passengers . does this extra weight get lost now it is stripped of seats Could you explain a little more in easy terms ,I am very new to all this.
    It is classed as group 5 if this helps

On the plate with info it reads
    3300kl
    5000kl
    (i) 1600kl
    (2) 2000kl

Thanks for any help......BRUCE

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  6. TheBig1

basically you cant just empty the seats and add what you want, where you want, it must ALL come within the plate limits.

7. tofo

tofo Funster

See highlife for answers if I'm wrong there will be loads correcting me

Please check for yourself just to be sure

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

8. tofo

tofo Funster

I Should of read the big post above me
    save me poor little pinkies pecking out the same reply:Doh::Doh:

9. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi firstly get properly faced ply from Olearys etc at 20 quid a 7 x 4 sheet well worth it and nice finish face :thumb: Get glue like caraseal from Olearns as well and glue the ply / no screws needed:thumb:Make a nice job of it and not a shed :Wink:
    Terry

10. aba

aba

i used kingspan underneath laminate flooring in one van i converted a few years ago and it made a lot of difference to the warmth inside the van.

and as for terry's post above i would use dowels and the caraseal if you want to make it stronger and still no screws.

11. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

plated axle weights can be confusing.

front = 1600kg
    rear = 2000kg

total = 3600kg....but your gross weight is still 3300kg.

this is to allow for uneven loading, IE: if the rear axle weighs 2000kg when loaded then the front axle has to go on a diet and be 1300kg maximum

same the other way round....front axle 1600kg the rear can only be 1700kg.

in other words....the sum of the parts does not equal the total.

and dont forget it is currently registered as a mini-bus.
    when the conversion is complete it should be inspected by an approved garage and then re-registered as a motor caravan.
    that will also make it a class IV for MOT purposes...the same as every other motorhome and car...and probably cheaper to insure.

12. Bruce

Bruce Read Only Funster

That is the problem I am not sure of what the plate limits are I am a bit thick when it comes to payloads etc. Probably easy enough once I get my head round it. mmmmmmm Does this mean the area behind front seats or from engine area to back of bus
    Again any help .....Bruce

13. aba

aba

basically in the simplest terms it cannot weigh any more than 3300kg when you have finished the conversion.

so if you strip out everything then get the van weighed on a weigh bridge they will give you its weight.

for example if the stripped out van weighs 1800kg then you have 1500kg of payload left.

then you have to weigh everything as you build it into the van and make sure you have enough payload left for food / clothing / bedding and passengers at the end of it.

but put the heaviest items close to the rear axle.

14. TheBig1

see above, your plate limits are an absolute maximum and as already suggested get the van weighed to see how much loading youve got to play with

whatever it cant weigh more than the 3300kg on your plate including driver and passengers etc

15. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Hi Bruce, I think you may be getting confused by the term 'plates', this doesn't mean the actual structural plates (ie floor etc), what they are referring to is the 'label' with the figures on it.

Basically you can only have a MAXIMUM total weight of 3300kg overall, that includes all fixtures and fittings, kit, food, water, clothes, equipment etc and people (driver and passengers) ... EVERYTHING.

Each axle will carry a proportion of this overall weight and how you place the furniture and your other bits and pieces within the vehicle will determine how much weight will be borne by each axle. You have a maximum weight limit of 1600kg on your front axle and 2000kg on your rear axle, but you can only use up to the maximum of 3000kg when the weights on both axles are added up.

For example, if you place lots of heavy items at the rear of the vehicle you will have more weight being borne by the rear axle than the front.

Before you start, and once you've stripped out all the seats and other items you don't want to keep in the van, go to a weighbridge and get the individual axle weights, then you will know how much payload you have left and how you'll need to spread the load between the 2 axles when doing your build. Once you have an idea of the layout you want, you can then calculate the overall weight of what you want to put in and where you can realistically put it so as not to overload either of the axles, or the vehicle as a whole.

16. Bruce

Bruce Read Only Funster

Thank you vg explanation Feel a bit daft when it was a simple answer.However probably a lot more daft questions still to come

Regards Bruce