Free Member
Aug 12, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER FLAIR
Exp
TWO YEARS
Hi well thats it we have now bought our first van for converting. It is a Transit 16 seat minibus 1999 (banana engine)2.5d
First job was to take out all the seats in the back, so that any welding could be done. It is not too bad so out with the mig after years, hope it still works!!
Not sure how to give updates yet so some help needed please
I have one question ,what thickness of ply for lining and best way to fix it must be able to hold some fittings.
PROBABLY A LOT MORE QUESTIONS LATER
Thanks for any help....Bruce

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Hi well thats it we have now bought our first van for converting. It is a Transit 16 seat minibus 1999 (banana engine)2.5d
First job was to take out all the seats in the back, so that any welding could be done. It is not too bad so out with the mig after years, hope it still works!!
Not sure how to give updates yet so some help needed please
I have one question ,what thickness of ply for lining and best way to fix it must be able to hold some fittings.
PROBABLY A LOT MORE QUESTIONS LATER
Thanks for any help....Bruce

Thinnest you can find
Mine was 4 mm from b&q

Use the lightest materials you can

When it's stripped out as far as your going

Take it to a weighbridge then check your axle weights
Then work out what you will take including your fuel water and waste .
people and stuff as well

Then you will find the amount available for the conversion not a lot
So be very carefull

They don't like overloaded vehicles on the road
:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
use 4mm ply and self tappers into the "ribs" where it touches. best to add a few 1x1 battens behind the ply to allow for secure fixings later

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have been through this a few times and I live in the buggers..

If you get stuck give me a shout and I will give you my best advice...

I am a fulltimer living in the middle of all the mistakes I have made...

If you are welding I would say do it with the heaviest grade you are comfortable with.

When it comes to lining. For the floor 18mm marine ply. For the walls 4-5mm ply for non supporting stuff. for structural stuff 12mm.. That is only my opinion but it is based on practical experience...

Biggest thing you should consider in my opionion is insulation and plumbing to be honest. Make sure whatever you use works first time and is easy to access....

OP
OP
Bruce

Bruce

Free Member
Aug 12, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER FLAIR
Exp
TWO YEARS
Thinnest you can find
Mine was 4 mm from b&q

Use the lightest materials you can

When it's stripped out as far as your going

Take it to a weighbridge then check your axle weights
Then work out what you will take including your fuel water and waste .
people and stuff as well

Then you will find the amount available for the conversion not a lot
So be very carefull

They don't like overloaded vehicles on the road
Hi dont know if you will get this reply ,I hope so. Thanks for your advice but not sure about axle weights etc. my minibus had 15 rear seats in it and so could hold 15 passengers . does this extra weight get lost now it is stripped of seats Could you explain a little more in easy terms ,I am very new to all this.
It is classed as group 5 if this helps

On the plate with info it reads
3300kl
5000kl
(i) 1600kl
(2) 2000kl

Thanks for any help......BRUCE

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi dont know if you will get this reply ,I hope so. Thanks for your advice but not sure about axle weights etc. my minibus had 15 rear seats in it and so could hold 15 passengers . does this extra weight get lost now it is stripped of seats Could you explain a little more in easy terms ,I am very new to all this.

3300kl This will be the mass in running order, so max weight including all fittings, gear, fuel and passengers
5000kl This will be the max train weight, so subtracting the running weight from this will give the max you could tow
(i) 1600kl This will be the max weight for front axle
(2) 2000kl
This will be max weight for rear axle

basically you cant just empty the seats and add what you want, where you want, it must ALL come within the plate limits.

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08

3300kl
most weight [HI]the vehicle can be loaded to
including driver and passengers
Anything above your overloaded
unless a trailer is attached and extra weght is in it
[/HI]
5000kl train weight = [HI]van and trailer I believe[/HI]

(i) 1600kl [HI]1st axle front[/HI]
(2) 2000kl [HI]2nd axle rear[/HI]

See highlife for answers if I'm wrong there will be loads correcting me

Please check for yourself just to be sure

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi firstly get properly faced ply from Olearys etc at 20 quid a 7 x 4 sheet well worth it and nice finish face :thumb: Get glue like caraseal from Olearns as well and glue the ply / no screws needed:thumb:Make a nice job of it and not a shed :winky:
Terry

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
i used kingspan underneath laminate flooring in one van i converted a few years ago and it made a lot of difference to the warmth inside the van.

and as for terry's post above i would use dowels and the caraseal if you want to make it stronger and still no screws.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
plated axle weights can be confusing.

front = 1600kg
rear = 2000kg

total = 3600kg....but your gross weight is still 3300kg.

this is to allow for uneven loading, IE: if the rear axle weighs 2000kg when loaded then the front axle has to go on a diet and be 1300kg maximum

same the other way round....front axle 1600kg the rear can only be 1700kg.

in other words....the sum of the parts does not equal the total.

and dont forget it is currently registered as a mini-bus.
when the conversion is complete it should be inspected by an approved garage and then re-registered as a motor caravan.
that will also make it a class IV for MOT purposes...the same as every other motorhome and car...and probably cheaper to insure.

OP
OP
Bruce

Bruce

Free Member
Aug 12, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER FLAIR
Exp
TWO YEARS
basically you cant just empty the seats and add what you want, where you want, it must ALL come within the plate limits.

That is the problem I am not sure of what the plate limits are I am a bit thick when it comes to payloads etc. Probably easy enough once I get my head round it. mmmmmmm Does this mean the area behind front seats or from engine area to back of bus
Again any help .....Bruce

Last edited:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
basically in the simplest terms it cannot weigh any more than 3300kg when you have finished the conversion.

so if you strip out everything then get the van weighed on a weigh bridge they will give you its weight.

for example if the stripped out van weighs 1800kg then you have 1500kg of payload left.

then you have to weigh everything as you build it into the van and make sure you have enough payload left for food / clothing / bedding and passengers at the end of it.

but put the heaviest items close to the rear axle.

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
That is the problem I am not sure of what the plate limits are I am a bit thick when it comes to payloads etc. Probably easy enough once I get my head round it. mmmmmmm Does this mean the area behind front seats or from engine area to back of bus

see above, your plate limits are an absolute maximum and as already suggested get the van weighed to see how much loading youve got to play with

whatever it cant weigh more than the 3300kg on your plate including driver and passengers etc

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Hi Bruce, I think you may be getting confused by the term 'plates', this doesn't mean the actual structural plates (ie floor etc), what they are referring to is the 'label' with the figures on it.

Basically you can only have a MAXIMUM total weight of 3300kg overall, that includes all fixtures and fittings, kit, food, water, clothes, equipment etc and people (driver and passengers) ... EVERYTHING.

Each axle will carry a proportion of this overall weight and how you place the furniture and your other bits and pieces within the vehicle will determine how much weight will be borne by each axle. You have a maximum weight limit of 1600kg on your front axle and 2000kg on your rear axle, but you can only use up to the maximum of 3000kg when the weights on both axles are added up.

For example, if you place lots of heavy items at the rear of the vehicle you will have more weight being borne by the rear axle than the front.

Before you start, and once you've stripped out all the seats and other items you don't want to keep in the van, go to a weighbridge and get the individual axle weights, then you will know how much payload you have left and how you'll need to spread the load between the 2 axles when doing your build. Once you have an idea of the layout you want, you can then calculate the overall weight of what you want to put in and where you can realistically put it so as not to overload either of the axles, or the vehicle as a whole.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bruce

Bruce

Free Member
Aug 12, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER FLAIR
Exp
TWO YEARS
Hi Bruce, I think you may be getting confused by the term 'plates', this doesn't mean the actual structural plates (ie floor etc), what they are referring to is the 'label' with the figures on it.

Basically you can only have a MAXIMUM total weight of 3300kg overall, that includes all fixtures and fittings, kit, food, water, clothes, equipment etc and people (driver and passengers) ... EVERYTHING.

Each axle will carry a proportion of this overall weight and how you place the furniture and your other bits and pieces within the vehicle will determine how much weight will be borne by each axle. You have a maximum weight limit of 1600kg on your front axle and 2000kg on your rear axle, but you can only use up to the maximum of 3000kg when the weights on both axles are added up.

For example, if you place lots of heavy items at the rear of the vehicle you will have more weight being borne by the rear axle than the front.

Before you start, and once you've stripped out all the seats and other items you don't want to keep in the van, go to a weighbridge and get the individual axle weights, then you will know how much payload you have left and how you'll need to spread the load between the 2 axles when doing your build. Once you have an idea of the layout you want, you can then calculate the overall weight of what you want to put in and where you can realistically put it so as not to overload either of the axles, or the vehicle as a whole.

Thank you vg explanation Feel a bit daft when it was a simple answer.However probably a lot more daft questions still to come

Regards Bruce

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back