Transit - Auto option?

Discussion in 'Ford' started by Losos, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Losos

Losos Read Only Funster

I am researching various base vehicles with a view to buying a MH - Is it correct that there is currently no autobox option on the current Transits ???

I'm sure I have read somewhere that the Transit can be supplied with an autobox, but i can't see that option on the Ford website.

2. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Hi Loscos

To the best of my knowledge there is no auto box for the Mk7 transit. they did some for an earlier model.:thumb:
    Best of luck with your search.

Dave

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  3. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

I have an AutoSleeper Ravenna on a 2004 Transit base with auto gearbox if your interested.

Peter

4. camcondor

camcondor Read Only Funster

Our previous motorhome was an Autosleeper Ravenna on a Ford Auto base - an 05 plate it was. It was really nice to drive, shame the motorhome didn't suit us.

5. Caztur

Caztur Funster

I don't know if the current model has one, but my 1989 Autosleeper Frisky was auto.

6. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Update: sorry it got sold last night:thumb:

Peter

7. Losos

Losos Read Only Funster

You're obviously too good at your job Peter :BigGrin: it seems the answer is in the post above where it seems it was an option but Ford in their wisdom have not offered it on the current model. I suppose they just didn't sell enough of them (Should have had you working for them :BigGrin:)

8. evans88

evans88 Read Only Funster

There is definitely no auto option on a Mk7 Transit. I've owned a Mk6 auto for 6 years and am very pleased with it.:thumb:

9. Dipstick

Dipstick Read Only Funster

Transit Mk7

I picked up a leaflet at the Shepton Mallet show yesterday and there is an option offered for the Transit "AUTO CLUTCH" whatever that is exactly I'm not sure but could be an option for some people to increase their options

Pete D

10. vwalan

vwalan Funster

i have an auto clutch on my vwlt 50 it is also called click n go you get them from vehac. i,ve lost there tel but i,m sure you can google .its a very good bit of kit. i can recomend itto anybody that has difficulty pressing the clutch pedal. pm me for more info. cheers alan.

11. evans88

My Autosleeper Duetto with auto box will be for sale soon. Picture is my avatar.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  12. dazzer

dazzer Read Only Funster

Stop messing around and buy an RV they are all automatic:thumb::thumb:

13. rolyk

rolyk Funster

If you do a search on the Transit Forum for "durashift" and read some of the threads you won't want to buy a Transit auto. Very unreliable and cost a fortune to fix when they go wrong. That's if you can find a Ford dealer who's prepared to look at it.

I've been there, had the experience and wouldn't wish it on anyone.

14. evans88

Roly. You make a fair point but those on the Ford Transit forum own vehicles with huge mileages. Most motorhomers do relatively few miles. I've met a few with the Ford autobox and none have had problems. The highest mileage owner has done 88000 with no problems; mine had done 37000 miles and I love it.

Perhaps you were unlucky!

15. Losos

Losos Read Only Funster

:Rofl1:If only :Rofl1: It's just too big, I need to go down some small roads when I am in eastern Europe and in winter you can't see the edge of the road because of the 3 foot of snow, :Sad: No kerbs, lots of pot holes and broken edges, and only just wide enough for two passing 'transit' type vehicles means an RV is not an option I'm afraid.

And thanks everyone for the Transit advice, i can't see it as an option on current production.

16. dazzer

dazzer Read Only Funster

I disagree very strongly :Eeek:

Have a look at this baby Coach House Platinum II Motorhomes at Lazydays - On lot now!

24 feet long, 3.0ltr diesel, automatic and with a slide out, even got the steering wheel on the right side for continental touring.

Or they do van conversions as well, have a look here http://www.campingworld.com/rvsales/Class-B-Motorhomes/2010/Fourwinds-Ventura/104953/

Again Merc based but with all the toys and the standard width of a Merc panel van

They are not all 40 foot long 10 tonne monsters ya know :Wink:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  17. Caztur

Caztur Funster

My old 1989 Autosleeper auto transit had done about 130,000 by all accounts when I got it. (It had had a new speedo fitted which only showed 89K when I got it but I spoke to the last but one owner before I bought it to get more info as there was no service record). I had no problems all the time I had it