Transferring VHS tape to computer

Discussion in 'Computers' started by golly, Jan 11, 2016.

1. golly

golly Funster

I have a couple of VHS tapes from when the kids were small that I want to transfer to the computer and then to DVD. The kits seem to vary in price a lot, has anyone used any of these video capture kits & can recommend one .

2. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Why not transfer direct to DVD? That's what I did.

I just hooked up the VHS recorder/player to the DVD recorder (with its output connected to a TV) using a patch lead, started the DVD recording and set the tape playing. Once the tape was finished I stopped the DVD recorder and finalised the disc.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill Funster

I purchased a DVI (digital camcorder cannon) from eBay £100 which has a analogue to digital converter built in so input from vhs to camcorder firewall 1394 (I think) connection then out to computer and the conversion is excellent
    One 3 hour VHS tape takes about 36Gig on your hard drive so better to buy an external one if converting a lot of tapes

• Like Like x 1
  4. golly

golly Funster

Haven't got a DVD recorder, just a player, I didn't want to spend much as its only a couple of tapes and probably wont be used again.

5. chasper

chasper Read Only Funster

• Like Like x 3
  6. Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill Funster

Have u not got a DVD recorder on your PC as most generally are
    Can't put a prices on memories and once your VHS breaks you will struggle to get another
    On a different note whilst traveling to Venice in the van last year we stopped in Germany and seen VHS tapes for sale in a major store, couldn't believe it so maybe get a player there if needed

• Like Like x 1
  7. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

You can buy a low cost USB analogue to digital video converter that accepts composite input (ie the three cables with red, white and yellow plugs), then use open source video capture software to get the recordings from your VCR to your hard drive. Some converters have free software with them.

After that you just need to decide what format you want to save it with on the disc. Again, there are free converters available if you need them.

If your VCR only has SCART output you can get a SCART to composite gizmo that will link to the USB device.

As it's only a couple of tapes you might consider it less faff to just send them to a third party conversion service but you should try to get a backup copy of the tapes before you send them anywhere. I used such a service when we found a Betamax tape of my Dad leading a PE lesson some years ago before he was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease. My kids and their cousins had no memory of their Grandad as a physically lively person because his illness was a long one. I was able to make a copy of the tape using someone's old Betamax recorder, then I sent the original off for conversion to disc. This meant I could give a copy of the disc to the children as a memento of Grandad before he got ill. Priceless.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

If you have a local 'Freecycle' site try putting an appeal on for a video/dvd recorder - you can then just record direct from VHS to the DVD.

• Like Like x 1
  9. golly

golly Funster

• Like Like x 1
  10. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  11. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 2
  12. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Hmmm, VHS to computer (n)
    I don't think I've ever seen a slot big enough on a computer for that.:whistle: ;)

• Like Like x 1
  13. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

I'm building up a pile of obsolete recording devices in my attic, including reel to reel tape recorders, video recorders, video cameras, and even early digital cameras. I got a Sony Mavica digital camera the other day that recorded onto a 3.5" floppy disc. I've also been experimenting with ways of scanning old negatives and glass photographic plates on a standard flatbed scanner.

If I ever get to the point where I can no longer heave boxes around at collectors' fairs I'm thinking media conversion might be a handy sideline.

• Like Like x 1
  14. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

My 8 year old grandaughter didn't know what a CD was !!!!
    That's how fast it's all changing...

When I add that to the fact she didn't know who Kylie Minogue was it was a very sad day. :(

• Like Like x 1