Transfer of habitation Unit onto another chassis (1 Viewer)

Reonvore

Free Member
Aug 29, 2011
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Alcove
Exp
I'm a Newbie
I presently have a Niesmann + bischoff Clou 470D based on a 1984 fiat ducato chassis but I have come across an 1991 Iveco 40-10 which I want to transfer over the habitation unit onto to give me something like this-----

http://www.uhlich-online.de/mobil/iveco/index.htm

And I'm hoping you might be able to help me with advice and links to show how complicated or straight forward this maybe .

Thanks in advance

Reo.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
your choice, but i wouldn't even contemplate doing a job that big.

so many things will need re-engineering/modifying......height of chassis to top of cab....will it need infill's between over-cab and top of windscreen, length of chassis....will the body be too long/short, wheel base....will the wheels be in the right place, major modification of hab to cab joint.

good luck.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
my dad did this with his old bedford cf based motorhome and transferred it onto a transit.
the main drawback i see with your proposition is going from a front wheel drive chassis to a rear drive chassis as the floor height will be higher.

if the iveco is a panel van then all well and good if its a chassis cab then you may run into problems again with the chassis height.

lots of measuring is required and really you need the iveco sat next to the ducato with the rear wheels in line with each other.
when my dad did his the transit had to be extended at the rear to support the floor and the body chopped off to make a chassis cab.
all told it took about 2 weeks from acquiring the transit van to having the finished motorhome.
he spoke to the converters about where the body fixings were and they even offered to swap the body over for about £2000.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
R

Reonvore

Free Member
Aug 29, 2011
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Alcove
Exp
I'm a Newbie
Thanks for the input so that's one negative one positive

One all then ::bigsmile:

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Nothing is impossible, but having swapped car bodies (landrover), one of the main things to spend time preventing, is the rear body collapsing during the transfer. bearing in mind the way they are built, removing the complete unit and placing it elsewhere, will need serious thought and supporting, good luck.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Reo. you need a tape measure :ROFLMAO:The main point/s have already been said -rear wheel arches and making up between the cab and caravan body
terry

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
may be easier in the long run to just buy one that is complete
how much do you value your time and mental anguish :Eeek::Eeek:

money is just one consideration
i would not do it as i have taken box van bodies of and droped on tipper body
i had the use of an engineering workshop with over head crane and lifting equipment what do you have to assist you in your venture?

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
What a great project.

If you do go for it, I wish you well.

Pete:Cool:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
What a crackin' project, looks heavy, don't cross any Brazilian Ravines in that meaty package.

I'd love to see the finished article and if you need any help just ask anyone but me.

Best of luck............

OP
OP
R

Reonvore

Free Member
Aug 29, 2011
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Alcove
Exp
I'm a Newbie
may be easier in the long run to just buy one that is complete
how much do you value your time and mental anguish :Eeek::Eeek:

money is just one consideration
i would not do it as i have taken box van bodies of and droped on tipper body
i had the use of an engineering workshop with over head crane and lifting equipment what do you have to assist you in your venture?

Hi have an engineering workshop next-door with a 5 ton lift .
Also have some spraying skills ,ingenuity but limited funds to
add to the challenge electrics is goin to be interesting also :whatthe:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Read once a few years ago now of a Highwayman being done once over a bank holiday, in a fully fitted workshop with hoists and things, it was done by about 4 people all fully trained fitters and was a done on 2 Ford Transits but different years.

Sorry have looked but can't find the account now but know they had quite a few problems to solve, and the impression I was left with was that they would never try it again.

If you decide to go for it wish you all the luck.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Great project:thumb: and when (not if!) you pull it off I expect there will be a great deal of satisfaction for you when you stand back and say

"I DID THAT":thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Further to my other post my other concern would be the age of both vans :Eeek:If the rear of the 84 is in very good nick :thumb: then it may well be worth considering a bit newer van to stick it on ?As a 84 in very good condition may be worth 3 k tops and as a 91 say 5 k tops that is if you can swap and make a very good job of it.:winky: All this may be irrelevant if you intend to keep it and run it into the ground :Smile:If that's the case then the swap may be worth doing but if you are looking to get rid anytime in the near future then you may be better selling both vans and buying a ready made van ::bigsmile: I am all for self building :thumb: provided you can make a good job of it :thumb:
terry

OP
OP
R

Reonvore

Free Member
Aug 29, 2011
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Alcove
Exp
I'm a Newbie
:Blush: any links PLEASE .... Even a how they make video link:help::thumb:

OP
OP
R

Reonvore

Free Member
Aug 29, 2011
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Alcove
Exp
I'm a Newbie
Further to my other post my other concern would be the age of both vans :Eeek:If the rear of the 84 is in very good nick :thumb: then it may well be worth considering a bit newer van to stick it on ?As a 84 in very good condition may be worth 3 k tops and as a 91 say 5 k tops that is if you can swap and make a very good job of it.:winky: All this may be irrelevant if you intend to keep it and run it into the ground :Smile:If that's the case then the swap may be worth doing but if you are looking to get rid anytime in the near future then you may be better selling both vans and buying a ready made van ::bigsmile: I am all for self building :thumb: provided you can make a good job of it :thumb:
terry

Hi Terry ,
The Iveco 4010 is also a 4by4 which is very appealing and the Niesmann and bischoff hab unit is in perfect condition . Did you have a look at the link I put up ??

Reo

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Terry ,
The Iveco 4010 is also a 4by4 which is very appealing and the Niesmann and bischoff hab unit is in perfect condition . Did you have a look at the link I put up ??

Reo

Hi Reo do you mean the one in your first post ? I did not realize it was 4x4 which would make it more desirable to some :thumb:Again only my opp but anyone who would go off road for a expedition would want something newer.
Having said that lets get down to the nitty gritty :ROFLMAO:I am assuming you have the skill-set to make good the body work and paint :thumb:the job as I see it is you are going to have to cut a hole into your chassis cab IE all the back out and perhaps the roof or some of it :Smile:The unbolting of the body should be quite straight forward as should bolting it back onto the new cab.chassis albeit may need some plates welding onto it.After that you will need to reposition water tanks / pipes etc,and connect up all the leccy bits that need to go from cab to rear.Make good to the inside of cab to rear then the jobs a good un ::bigsmile:
I would weigh up if it was worth while doing it making sure everything measures up - you do not want to start moving the internals from the rear as it will be a devil to match anything up from a 84 van :winky: You may well be able to cut out the rear wheel arches from the back of cupboards leaving the face alone :thumb:
if it is any help have a look at what we had to do to convert my ambulance
Link Removed
I am sure this involved a lot more work than a bolt on and off job but if you look at the pics you can see the idea of what needs making up between the cab and rear etc,On my other m/h
Link Removed
that was completely stripped out and all the inside renewed in 3 weeks:thumb: so your job is feasible if things measure up at least you have an idea what's needed
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back