Transfer DVLA/Tax disc advice ,please (1 Viewer)

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
We are trying to buy a new to us MH privately. We have been to see it and CLS has done a full inspection. It's almost everything we want and the MH is AOK .

Problem:
The vendor has a personalised number plate he wants to keep. Instead of doing this months ago he has left it last minute before his holiday.

He needs to tax the MH but if he does that now, the tax disc will be in the old peronalised number plate.
He is going to see the DVLA tomorrow to see if he can get the registration number changed and issued this week as he and his family have booked flights abroad for their holiday on 14th July so there is a time issue.
We cannot proceed with insurance until we have the changed number plate.
He thinks he can tax it with his personalised number on the tax disc and we can drive it with our new number on the registration docs and plates and his old number on the tax disc.
That can't be right can it? :whatthe:
Can you help tell me what the correct procedure is?
We don't want hassle with the boys in blue.:Eeek:
(sorry if this is confused. I couldn't understand what he is trying to do). Lucille

S

stagman

Deleted User
We are trying to buy a new to us MH privately. We have been to see it and CLS has done a full inspection. It's almost everything we want and the MH is AOK .

Problem:
The vendor has a personalised number plate he wants to keep. Instead of doing this months ago he has left it last minute before his holiday.

He needs to tax the MH but if he does that now, the tax disc will be in the old peronalised number plate.
He is going to see the DVLA tomorrow to see if he can get the registration number changed and issued this week as he and his family have booked flights abroad for their holiday on 14th July so there is a time issue.
We cannot proceed with insurance until we have the changed number plate.
He thinks he can tax it with his personalised number on the tax disc and we can drive it with our new number on the registration docs and plates and his old number on the tax disc.
That can't be right can it? :whatthe:
Can you help tell me what the correct procedure is?
We don't want hassle with the boys in blue.:Eeek:
(sorry if this is confused. I couldn't understand what he is trying to do). Lucille

If you go to the local dvla with all your documents then they can do all the changes over the counter including issuing new tax ,transfer plate ,.The private plate then needs to go on a retention certificate which will cost him £100.:thumb:

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
for ease and quickness go with him . get your insurance to give you a cover note based on the chassis no. then you can tax it in your name n paperwork will come to you. dvla do this sort of thing all the time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
The tax disc must match the vehicle registration number xxxxx so you cant have his private plate tax disc on your vehicle with a different registration number.

Sorry xxx

Upvote 0

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
I have just sold my car and wanted to keep my private number plate.

I took the mot certificate, registration document and tax disc into the DVLA office in Exeter on Monday 22nd June.

They gave me back the tax disc, and I had to keep private plate on vehicle until I received new tax disc and mot certificate and a document with the new registration number of vehicle to enable new plates to be made up. This took approximately 5 days.

I still have not got the registration document back as that has to come from Swansea.

The average time for getting registration document back is 3 weeks at the moment.

Your tax disk must have the correct registration number on it to be legal.

Hope this helps

Lesley

Upvote 0
OP
OP
staging lady

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Thanks, everyone, for all the help.
Presumably we cannot drive it until we have received the registration document from Swansea?
So it looks as though we will have to wait until he comes back off holiday before we can sort it out.
Thanks for the info. It is good to be able to discuss from a position of knowledge rather than ignorance.
What would I do without all the helpful funsters!!:thanks2::thanks2::thanks2::thanks2:
Lucille

Upvote 0

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
hi lucille,the comments that you have received are correct.i have just put a private no.on my rv and the no.on thetax disc must match the registration doc.i did all mine at the local dvla centre shrewsbury.it was done over the counter a only took about 30mins:thumb:
regards brian

Upvote 0

Road Burner

Free Member
Apr 24, 2008
NORFOLK
Funster No
MH
Coach Built low
Exp
SINCE 2008
Dvla/tax transfer

I recently bought a personalised number plate for my car, I was not allowed to change to the personal plate until my tax disc with the new personal number on it came through. Took about three weeks. I should think you would be done by the cops if your tax disc does not tally with the registration plate.

Upvote 0

scotsy

Free Member
Feb 13, 2009
Funster No
maybe not

A couple of weeks ago i was planning on selling a motorbike which had my 'Cherished number' on and my workmate told me that if i 'went' to the local DVLA office (manchester) i could queue up and complete it there and then and come away with the new tax disc. When i got to the counter i was told it was a 7 day postal return service!!!

No instant service available, no exceptions to the rule:cry:

About 3 days later i got my 2 new tax disc's (1 for the bike i was selling and 1 for the vehicle that my 'cherished number' was going onto)

By this time i had sold the bike and sent it on its way so i posted his new tax disc by 1st class post at the local GPO...long story cut short...it never got there and after waiting nearly 2 weeks i had to return to DVLA m/cr and pay £7 for a duplicate :Eeek: needless to say i used 'recorded delivery' next time i sent it and he got it the next day:winky:

My point is , i could have posted it in and only lost 1 day instead of taking the day of work to acheive the same result, it might be worth phoning them first before making a special trip to a DVLA office:Doh:

S60TSY now adorns the HYMER, if you see us out and about come over for a chat:thumb:

Upvote 0

Chris Woods

Free Member
Jun 6, 2009
Funster No
If you want the van to use now and the seller is very keen to sell would he trust you to take it with the cherished number so you could tax it and use it immediately with that number. Then you can change the number and transfer it back to him (at his expense and at a convenient time) when he gets home, maybe even leave him a small deposit against the value of the number if you wanted to to help convince him you would do it.
When I last changed a number I can't remember the car being taken off the road so either I coincided with a month end or the changeover procedure included a replacement tax disc, but either way you shouldn't lose out on road tax when it's changed.

Chris

Upvote 0
OP
OP
staging lady

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Thanks Chris I don't think he will do that as he wants to transfer the personal plate to his van.
I rang the DVLA today and got someone sensible this time. He has to transfer his personal plate and get a letter of authorisation for the new plates. All in all they are quoting 30 working days to get it all sorted out. So middle of August before we can travel.:cry:
Lucille

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back