Mandaxxx

Free Member
Feb 19, 2010
Wherever we stop.
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Thank you all for your sympathy over the trailer saga.
Has anyone any thoughts on two wheels on a box van trailer or four wheels, which do people prefer or think is best?!?:Eeek:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
4 wheels are safer, more stable, carry more weight but are difficult to manouver.

Personally id have a 4 wheeler every time simply for the safety aspect of a blown tyre or a failed wheel bearing :thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi

I've owned and used both 2 and 4 wheeled box trailers. both towed behind the RV ..

The two wheeler was aLink Removed Gross weight 750kg , it was stable and very easy to man-handle on site, even on grass ..

The four wheeler was Link Removed Gross Weight 2,000kg , very stable but a pig to man handle, a heavy beast and almost impossible to move by hand on grass..

What it boils down to is what size do you need, if 750kg is adequate I would advise on two wheels for ease of man-handling

Lynton Trailers are excellent, very well constructed and I would highly recommend them, they come up on ebay occasionally.. rate them 10/10

Going over The High Atlas in Morocco with the Load Trekker

Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi , i agree with jim. my lynton trailer is 23yrs old been across the atlas through rivers .the photo is of it being towed out of one .(we did bend the axle )but they are the bee,s knee,s .google them they make alsorts of trailers .or another firm is peak trailers in bidford-on-avon warwickshire. they supply just about every trailer manufacturer. and sell trailers. (a name worth noting if you need trailer bits.)between the two you should get the best there is.
i still fancy a big lynton 5er.
che
ers alan.

nice pic jim..

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
As already said,, 4 wheelers are pigs to move on soft ground,,

But I think are better,, more stable less swing/snaking and as said if you have a puncture you can run on for a good while if not on the trailers loaded capacity.. at a reduced speed.

With mine if not loaded up to the hilt and on firm ground I drop the jockey wheel,, unhook and then crank the jockey wheel up/down :RollEyes:,, anyway lift the front wheels of the trailer off the ground which in theery makes it a two wheel trailer and does make it easier to handle..
:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
footnote:

It's extremely difficult to reverse a small trailer behind a large motorhome, not impossible but it takes a lot of practice ... and even when practiced, you'll still get it wrong ..

and the time will come, ( and i've had my share stressful experiences) , when you will need to unhitch and man-handle .. a two wheeler is doable ... a large four wheeler .. let's say you'll sweat ..

I recall turning down a road in a Spanish city only to discover a hair pin bend that we couldn't get round in one cut, Jan had to un hitch and push the trailer while I maneuvered the RV , much to the annoyance of the Spanish drivers who had to wait .. :roflmto:.. just glad it wasn't the twin axle one.. :RollEyes:

In saying that, I found the twin axle easier to reverse , possibly because it was longer and it was less likely to jack knife .. and as already said, it can still be towed slowly with a flat tyre.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi
I totally agree with Jim
I have used both (and still have a double axle box trailer) if you don't need the load capacity of 2 axles---stick to single axle---plus they are cheaper to buy (and it wont hurt as much when it gets stolen)
BTW the LONGER the trailer --the easier to reverse.
Nigel

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back