Trailer Thoughts Required.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Tootles, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Tootles

Tootles Funster

We have an Erde 142 trailer, with the hard top and fitted top bars. Had it for years, just pulled it occasionally behind the car. And so, the thought struck me. Why have a tow ball mounted bike rack, with all the associated problems of getting into the rear locker, when I could overhaul the trailer and use that? We carry the Kampa awning, folding bikes, and a load of other dross that only gets used from time to time.
    If all that heavy kit was in the trailer, it would of coarse lighten the truck, and most times we are just hauling the stuff around. Then, when we know we are going to use awning, bikes etc, just clip the trailer to the truck. Disadvantages I know, lower speeds when towing, restricted to inside and middle lanes of motorways, problems reversing, but that's the trade off. With the hard top, the awning, bikes in their bags, groundsheet for awning etc, can be stored safely, allowing us to use a much lightened Hymer for three day outings and the like.
    Does all this make sense, or is towing a light trailer not a good idea behind a MH. ????

• Like Like x 3
  2. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

good idea in the UK extra expense on the ferry or chunnel

• Like Like x 2
  3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Great idea..(y)

have towed both a single axle 750kg box trailer which I changed for a twin axle 1500 kg. never an issue..

was useful on site.. used it like a garden shed.. bugger to reverse though

going over the High Atlas
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  4. Flamenca

Flamenca Funster Life Member

I have towed single and twin axle trailers behind my Hymer without significant noticeable effect. If you tow in France you have to watch the permitted maximum speed of your rig as the gendarme assume the trailer is loaded to the plated capacity which will probably put you above 3.5T train weight (if you are not already) and that means you should abide by the lower speed limit. :cautious:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Pilote87

Pilote87 Funster

Over here (France) I have seen all sizes and styles of trailers behind motorhomes. Mine is 2m x 1.3m and I have towed it empty to Holland in order to collect things for a friend. I have also been over to near the Swiss border to deliver furniture.

Motorhomes in France can use all available lanes and only have to keep to the speed limit for their weight of vehicle, whether towing or not. That is if you really want to travel at 130 kph (80mph) in your 3.5T vehicle.

I have crossed into the UK with the trailer, but have had to remember the limitations under UK law.

J

• Like Like x 4
  6. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

We have a 750kg box trailer we use at times and it has a slightly longer A frame so it does not foul the bikes on the bike rack when turning. Got it from Tickner Trailers near Kings Lynn

• Like Like x 3
  7. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

Well that's interesting, I've lived here for 30 years and know that part of the world well but never heard of these people. Mind you they are up a long cul-de-sac where I've never had reason to explore. You learn something every day.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

Hi, it's a husband and wife firm, nice couple and very helpful.

• Like Like x 2
  9. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

we tow a 6x4 box trailer all the time for similar reasons plus carrying the scooter. never had a problem getting in places

• Like Like x 1
  10. keith

keith Funster

Did it for a few years when traveling South in winter. Found it very useful and even got into being able to reverse without jackknifing using the rear view camera. The only downside was we just took more with us. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 3
  11. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Erde-142-loadbars.jpg This is ours. Or at least how it should look, (and will again). (y)

• Like Like x 1
  12. keith

keith Funster

[​IMG]
    This was ours in Spain. Got fed up with towing so replaced it with:
    [​IMG]
    No more reversing slowly

• Like Like x 2
  13. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

one reason I prefer the motorhome / campervan is not towing which means departing and arriving are so much quicker.. having said that I have a trailer which is currently at my dads and I was considering putting a ball on the towbar of the new van so when we go on longer trips we can use it. I would probably use it for carrying the yent etc around with me rather than for stuff I might want in the van

• Like Like x 1
  14. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

Hi Tootles.
    The shorter the trailer.the harder it is to reverse,but,give it a couple of weeks and it will become part of the host vehicle/Truck?(DAF XF of course LOL)/M/h/Kampingcar/etc. The secrets... Keep as straight as you can while reversing,(NO jacknifing).Always try to reverse in on the drivers side,even if it means going by,turning around and coming back to reverse)
    Jobs a "Good 'un". But you already KNEW THAT LOL!!!
    Tea Bag

• Like Like x 2
  15. ianandkath

ianandkath Funster

@teabag,,,,, you want to try to reverse an artic with tralier on a suspended tow,, now that is fun,lol

• Like Like x 3
  16. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

Hi ianandkath.
    Yes.... got the T shirt LOL. Also,took out a Parked car with a Broshuis Trombone trailer on a "Tight bit"..... The "Intelligent head" on the coupling worked, but NOT drivers!!!!! LOL. Trailer mate?..... Off with the Fairies !!
    The owner did not know,till i went back to tell him,it all ended quite well allround.
    Tea Bag.

• Like Like x 1
  17. cruiser

cruiser Funster Life Member

the shorter the trailer the harder it is to reverse , as I found out at Thetford. when jaws tried to get me to reverse a peddlecar. and a bread basket on wheels. guess who failed

• Like Like x 2
  18. Ethle the wondervan

Ethle the wondervan

I used to chuck everything in the trailer .......but now it's all behind me.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Jonkil

Jonkil Funster

But the real question @Tootles is....
    Will it hold much wine/beer ?!

• Like Like x 2
  20. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

well I did that....travelled a 24 pack of cider in the trailer. stupid arse son in law was thirsty so cracked one open before they had settled:LOL: wasted cider though:Eeek:

• Like Like x 2