Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
As my dream of A framing through Spain doesn't look like an option I was thinking of getting a proper trailer.

I have a question though - how do you get the car on the trailer ? I know you have ramps but do you connect the trailer to the van and then drive on or do you connect the trailer after you get on and if the latter how do you stop the trailer moving?

Probably a stupid question but I haven't really used trailers except for boats and stuff.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
You should get a trailer that has a stabiliser pole at each rear corner that you drop to the ground before starting the operation.
A very important thing as well when the car is on the trailer and before setting off is to establish a 'Nose weight' on the towball.
Most tuggers would find a sweet weight, that dependant upon the vehicle doing to towing, would be between 75kgs and 100kgs imposed on the towball.

When towing a trailer plus car, you could mark on the trailer where the sweet spot was (marking where, for instance the front wheels were on the trailer. The further forward on the trailer, the heavier the weight imposed. It is necessary because, without a towball weight, the trailer would have a tendency to try to slew about which wouldn't be a good feeling with 3/4 ton of car plus trailer trying to wag the back of the 'van.

Further to the above, and it goes without saying, is that the towball weight imposed by the trailer reduces your payload by the same amount ie. 100kgs towball weight reduces the payload by 100kgs.

Last edited:

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
The safest way is to connect the trailer to the towing vehicle before loading it.
It is possible to move a loaded trailer but slopes or bumps will either cause it to roll away or be stuck where you don't want it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
As my dream of A framing through Spain doesn't look like an option I was thinking of getting a proper trailer.

I have a question though - how do you get the car on the trailer ? I know you have ramps but do you connect the trailer to the van and then drive on or do you connect the trailer after you get on and if the latter how do you stop the trailer moving?

Probably a stupid question but I haven't really used trailers except for boats and stuff.
Hook the trailer up first :)

OP
OP
Chris

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
And leave it hooked up to drive it off I presume?

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Definitely
Once unhitched it will be a potential disaster depending on the ground conditions.
There are various corner steadies and the handbrake etc that can assist but nothing will be a stable and safe as the tow vehicle

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Further to the above, and it goes without saying, is that the towball weight imposed by the trailer reduces your payload by the same amount ie. 100kgs towball weight reduces the payload by 100kgs.

That may be the case legally but physically that 100kg will add something like 150kg to the real axle and reduce the front by 50kg just as any load carrying rack on the back.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
That may be the case legally but physically that 100kg will add something like 150kg to the real axle and reduce the front by 50kg just as any load carrying rack on the back.

Quite right Brian, Forgot about the overhang (but I was using the 100kgs as an example, not as a recommendation.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
@Chris my Dad has a very good supplier of trailers if you're interested in his contact details let me know. Dad also has a few trailers if you want to try before you buy. (y)

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Sod all that faffing about car hire in Spain cheap as chips I think its best option for your mental and financial health. But were all different with different ideas and dreams

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I've thought about this for taking my Eunos with us. I would have a twin axle trailer with a motor mover on it like tuggers use run from a leisure battery housed in a lockable metal container mounted on the A frame.
A twin axle trailer with corner steadies and a good handbrake is very capable of being loaded and unloaded without being hitched to your tow vehicle. (y)

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
I've thought about this for taking my Eunos with us. I would have a twin axle trailer with a motor mover on it like tuggers use run from a leisure battery housed in a lockable metal container mounted on the A frame.
A twin axle trailer with corner steadies and a good handbrake is very capable of being loaded and unloaded without being hitched to your tow vehicle. (y)
Dad had a motor mover put on one of his trailers. That was the year of three punctures on the trailer!

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
The first winter we went to Spain we took the Smart car on a Bantam Smart Car Trailer. We stayed on a site, so used the car to explore. We found how much provision there was for parking even a 7m motorhome by doing this. The next winter the car and trailer were left in the UK. We wild parked more and explored, for the next 5 years.

We always hooked the trailer up and set the corner steadies on the trailer before driving the car up the ramps. Rear engine cars should be loaded by reversing onto the trailer, but the Bantam was designed to drive on.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs

On & Off... Chris...

Keep your legs away from the corner steady`s when releasing cos the trailer will drop a few inches with the weight off the car..:(

And if you can buy a 4 wheeler...

All the (Yes" Millions of miles I have driven Cars -Mo-homes, RV`s, 5th Wheels, Artics, Trucks, Queen Mary`s home and abroad...)

I have seen numerous single axle`d Caravans.. Luggage Trailers and 2 wheeled car transporter trailers come to grief after a "Blow Out"... Usually turn over...

Moving an unloaded four wheel trailer around is as easy as a single axle....

Just wind the jockey wheel up till the front wheels of the trailer are off the ground.... then you have a single axle trailer... to move around.. (y)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years

It will have to be a big trailer for a BM..;)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I keep playing with the idea of a trailer for one of my bikes but 'er indoors refuses point blank to even consider getting on the back of one and I can't get helmets to fit the dogs so it would be pretty pointless.

We've hired cars once or twice but other than that never really felt the need or felt like we're missing anything by not having one.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
I keep playing with the idea of a trailer for one of my bikes but 'er indoors refuses point blank to even consider getting on the back of one and I can't get helmets to fit the dogs so it would be pretty pointless.

We've hired cars once or twice but other than that never really felt the need or felt like we're missing anything by not having one.
you need a trike ,dont need crash hats . we used to take our dog but havnt got pics with it on the trike . dont need seat belts either. the spanish steel hats are just for fun . they arent german ones .

Attachments

• scan 1trike helmet run.jpg
    scan 1trike helmet run.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 28

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I'd certainly recommend a 4 wheel trailer for a car, more stable and better in case of blowouts, but when loading/unloading please, please, PLEASE make sure it is securely fastened to the towball if you leave it hitched up to your MH whilst doing this ... I've witnessed the damage that can be done to a vehicle when a car being loaded 'pushed' the trailer into the rear of the vehicle ... they didn't need to open the boot to access the contents!

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Nah, I was thinking of a Fiesta or something like that.(y)
The weight of a Fiesta starts at around 1050 kg which will need a decent trailer. I bought a Brian James C2 Blue which will carry 1050kg and the trailer itself weighs 450kg. We use it for our Citroën C1 which weighs 850 kg but only use it once a year and that is to take the car with us to Spain for over 5 months in Winter.
You may need to check what you can tow as well.

OP
OP
Chris

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I only want a car trailer so I can fill the car with A frame kits that I will then sell in Spain.

I think I am onto a winner there. They will call me Senor A frame(y)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
you need a trike ,dont need crash hats . we used to take our dog but havnt got pics with it on the trike . dont need seat belts either. the spanish steel hats are just for fun . they arent german ones .

Don't want a trike. I'm quite happy with my bikes.

'er indoors won't get on a trike either so it would be no use anyway even if I did want one.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back