Trailer nose weight and rear axle loading (1 Viewer)

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
Not to start another a frame/trailer debate (sorry people ) but we are considering both at the moment. We have a C1.
My concern with a trailer is the nose weight as the wheel on these small trailers seems to be quite far back. We have a fair overhang on our motorhome with a garage under the bunks and a bike rack all loading up the rear axle (and from well behind it too), this is a concern.

We currently have a BMW Z3 with A frame and the towing of that (with our previous MH) was fine. So not concerned about that.

I will be taking the rvi system and A frame off of the BMW (if it doesn't sell as a package) and so this reduces the cost of the A frame option, making the trailer a far more expensive choice.
We will be using it a lot in France though.

Ive gone off on a bit of a tangent here and so really my concern is the down force on the tow bar with a trailer. An A frame puts very little weight down onto the rear axle.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
As an ex tugger nose weight is important to the stable towing of a caravan so I always had about 90kg measured at the tow hitch. With a car on a trailer you can sort out your nose weight by moving the car backwards or forwards or even driving it on or reversing it on.(y)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
most car trailers i have used over the years are 100kg noseweight and above. the load on the back axle will vary dependant on the overhang behind the rear wheels

years ago a friend of mine with a laundry was getting rid of some old heavy machinery. a local down the pub told him he would take it away and split the value of the scrap metal. anyway, this was all set to happen over a Saturday and Sunday to avoid disrupting the business. a team of us worked hard all day Saturday dismantling and hauling the machines into the back alley, then late Sunday morning this idiot rolls up with a small van towing a crappy old car trailer. we told him no way was it going to work as one old boiler weighed over 4tonnes, but he insisted. 1/2 hour later the boiler was on the trailer using a winch and rollers. problem was, the front tyres of his van were 6 inches off the floor. Monday morning a deal was struck with the local scrap merchant to come and crane out the scrap. from what I heard later the van soon followed as the rear axle and suspension was knackered. I wonder why that was

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I tow a C1 on a Brian James C2 Blue trailer and the nose weight was 80kg which is about right for me as I have a PVC. Before any comments start about towing a car behind a PVC it is only down to Spain where we park up for 5 months.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back