Trailer insurance

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Snitrats, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Snitrats

Snitrats Funster

Having changed toads (the previous one had an A frame) I have now seen the light and I am in the process of buying a trailer for the brand new toad,
    Question (as I've never owned a trailer before) do you have to insure it for road use ?:Smile:

2. motor roamin

motor roamin Funster

Should be insured on the motor home insurance but check the toad may not be covered on its own insurance when on a trailer again check sad thing is it will always depend on the ins company also you may need to take a seperate ins out for the trailer when not on the motorhome......keep it secure as trailers are targets for the Itinerant thieven

All the best Rick

3. lunarman

lunarman Funster

When I was pulling a trailer and Toad I checked with the MH insurers (Safeguard at the time) They told me that the trailer was covered for third party damage i.e. any damage it caused in an accident whilst attached to the MH. The trailer and its contents were not covered and would require additional insurance.

The insurer of the Toad agreed that it would be covered whilst on the trailer I had to get additional cover only for the trailer itself.

Lunarman

4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

as Rick said, the trailer SHOULD be automatically insured on your motorhome/car insurance WHEN ATTACHED to the vehicle.

when unhitched it is usually uninsured unless other insurance cover is in place...possibly your house and contents insurance.

NFU for one include, in their motor insurance, unhitched cover up to £1000 for theft, excluding commercial and livestock trailers and caravans.

check with your own insurer if they cover unhitched trailers and if not then consider separate insurance, especially on a new/high value trailer.