Trailer hitch lock advice

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by wiljoy, Feb 25, 2016.

1. wiljoy

wiljoy Funster

Can anyone supply some advice please.
    I've just purchased a Brian James trailer and need a hitch lock that can also be used when it's connected to my motor.
    I've never needed to purchase one of these before and it looks like a minefield of choice.
    Any help is very much appreciated.
    Thank you
    Wilf

2. Mikeco

Mikeco Funster

When I ordered my Brian James trailer I paid a bit extra for the lockable hitch, if you do not have one then the ALKO one will fit and can be left on when towing.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mel

Mel Funster

Supermule Security
    Looks like a good idea
    I think towsure stock them not cheap.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. dpsuk999

dpsuk999 Funster

I use the ALKO Safety Compact hitch lock which is moulded to fit exactly over the hitch and can be used whilst towing. One word of warning though, if you buy used from eBay or classifieds then ensure it comes with all the fittings and tools. I bought mine new and fitting involves the removal of both bolts which hold the trailer coupling on but be aware that removing the rear bolt will release the damper. I got a steel bar with the hitch lock the same diameter as the bolt and you use this to knock out the bolt which in turn holds the damper in place.

The reason you remove the bolts is you receive locking plates which you need to fit which the hitch lock locks into place on. It's a fairly easy job for a competent DIYer to do.

It's just a lot of classified ads are only selling the actual hitch lock and without the receiving plates it's useless!

• Like Like x 1
  5. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

i agree, its hard to beat an alko hitchlock. or change to a locking hitch. only problem is that thieves can still tow away an unhitched trailer even when locked using a hook on their vehicle. you need a decent wheelclamp too when parked up

• Like Like x 2
  6. PeteH

PeteH Funster

For my Little trailer, I use a Substantial Motorcycle chain and lock Round the M-H Tow bar and through the A Frame. So far it seems to work OK?

Pete

• Like Like x 1
  7. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

I have a BJ trailer. I changed the hitch for a Bradley that has a decent lock included.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Autowbars

Autowbars Funster

If you can let me know the coupling make and model I hope to be able to advise, some of the insert able types are not expensive and GOOD, I have had to drill them out for customers who have lost their keys.
    NOT EASY I can tell you.
    Many hitch locks are not designed to be used whilst towing as they do not allow correct articulation!

• Like Like x 1