May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Can anyone supply some advice please.
I've just purchased a Brian James trailer and need a hitch lock that can also be used when it's connected to my motor.
I've never needed to purchase one of these before and it looks like a minefield of choice.
Any help is very much appreciated.
Thank you
Wilf

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
When I ordered my Brian James trailer I paid a bit extra for the lockable hitch, if you do not have one then the ALKO one will fit and can be left on when towing.

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Supermule Security
Looks like a good idea
I think towsure stock them not cheap.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
I use the ALKO Safety Compact hitch lock which is moulded to fit exactly over the hitch and can be used whilst towing. One word of warning though, if you buy used from eBay or classifieds then ensure it comes with all the fittings and tools. I bought mine new and fitting involves the removal of both bolts which hold the trailer coupling on but be aware that removing the rear bolt will release the damper. I got a steel bar with the hitch lock the same diameter as the bolt and you use this to knock out the bolt which in turn holds the damper in place.

The reason you remove the bolts is you receive locking plates which you need to fit which the hitch lock locks into place on. It's a fairly easy job for a competent DIYer to do.

It's just a lot of classified ads are only selling the actual hitch lock and without the receiving plates it's useless!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i agree, its hard to beat an alko hitchlock. or change to a locking hitch. only problem is that thieves can still tow away an unhitched trailer even when locked using a hook on their vehicle. you need a decent wheelclamp too when parked up

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
For my Little trailer, I use a Substantial Motorcycle chain and lock Round the M-H Tow bar and through the A Frame. So far it seems to work OK?

Pete

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
If you can let me know the coupling make and model I hope to be able to advise, some of the insert able types are not expensive and GOOD, I have had to drill them out for customers who have lost their keys.
NOT EASY I can tell you.
Many hitch locks are not designed to be used whilst towing as they do not allow correct articulation!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back