Trailer charging in Scotland (1 Viewer)

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Thought some, if not all members touring Scotland and Moray, might like to be warned about yet another rip off.
Rang a site at Bught to book in for a couple of nights, fine the gentleman said. I asked if a 1.5 metre trailer was chargeable, oh yes he replied. We charge £3 per night. I pointed out my total length was only 9 metres as opposed to a caravan outfit of god know's what. I also stated that when on site my motorhome was to be a caravan and not move. Sorry was his reply but I still charge for trailers.
By this stage I had run out of patience so said it didn't matter. This is the first time I have ever been asked to pay for a miniature trailer, I'm only sorry the country has stooped so low in the gutter.

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
So you phoned one site and because they charge you say that the hole of Scotland is in the gutter (dear/Dear) Answer dont go to the site as there are many who dont charge also dont tarnish everthing with the same brush

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
so basically if you turn up on site with a motorhome and a trailer and car/motorbike but no awning you get charged more than a similar sized 4 wheel caravan with awning and 20 feet of landrover discovery who get an electric pitch just so they can leave a 2kw fan heater running in the awning 24/7.

they obviously dont want motorhomes and the 2 big clubs do seem to be a little anti-motorhome.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Thought some, if not all members touring Scotland and Moray, might like to be warned about yet another rip off.
[HI]Rang a site at Bught [/HI]to book in for a couple of nights, fine the gentleman said. I asked if a 1.5 metre trailer was chargeable, oh yes he replied. We charge £3 per night. I pointed out my total length was only 9 metres as opposed to a caravan outfit of god know's what. I also stated that when on site my motorhome was to be a caravan and not move. Sorry was his reply but I still charge for trailers.
By this stage I had run out of patience so said it didn't matter. This is the first time I have ever been asked to pay for a miniature trailer, I'm only sorry the country has stooped so low in the gutter.

would this be Bught Caravan park ?

if so I see no mention of trailer charging on their price menu .. but they do charge £6 for extra vehicles.. http://www.invernesscaravanpark.com/caravan_park_campsite_inverness.htm

if not this park which one was it ?

In any case, I see no need to rubbish a whole country just because you don't agree with a pricing structure at one site ...

Last edited:

kinsleyboy

Free Member
Dec 11, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E560
Exp
Oct 09
they obviously dont want motorhomes and the 2 big clubs do seem to be a little anti-motorhome.

Is this site owned by 1 of the 2 big clubs ? Did the poster say it was?

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
would this be Bught Caravan park ?

if so I see no mention of trailer charging on their price menu .. but they do charge £6 for extra vehicles.. http://www.invernesscaravanpark.com/caravan_park_campsite_inverness.htm

if not this park which one was it ?

In any case, I see no need to rubbish a whole country just because you don't agree with a pricing structure at one site ...
Totally agree. Don't rubbish a whole country because of one site. I have been planning a trip to Cornwall next month and had a site insist that they would not take a booking for 1 or 2 nights it had to be a week but Icould leave at any time. Did I tar the whole of England with the same brush? No. I didn't book with them and phoned round further and have a few nice sites booked ( and a few nights free to do as we please). I'm sure we have some idiot site owners/managers in Scotland but remember proportionally England must have a lot more...............Best way to sort these people out is not to book with them . There are loads of good places everywhere.:thumb:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Agree with the moan about paying for trailers although i do find it a bit harsh that you say my lovely country has stooped to the gutter im sure if you look you will find loads of campsites through out the UK that charge for things you dont agree with does that mean they too have stooped to the gutter.

M1TCH

Free Member
May 15, 2011
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Am i missing something i read the post and did not take it that it was the whole of Scotland just the site was in Scotland, and its lets have a go at the caravan club again is it, ive never been charged for the trailer on a Cc site or Ccc site only a private site which has it happens was in Scotland but this would not stop me going i just dont stay on sites that charge, vote with your wheels keep them turning to the next site :thumb:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We travelled Scotland for a holiday last year and although pulling a toad , were never charged for the extra vehicle.
It seems however that many sites in the UK will charge not only high standard fees but will add on for awning, wi fi, dog , visitors etc.
No wonder many m homers wild camp.:Sad:

We had a month in the US earlier this year in an RV and sites were not only cheap but the prices included all services on pitch, 30 amp hook up, wi fi, use of pools and hot tubs with no extra charges for awning, dogs or visitors.:Smile:
A more sociable culture for campers :thumb:

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
im sorry for the spelling but that sort of comment makes me mad (Scotland in the Gutter) i was in a site in England where they charged for 2nd car /Showers /and £2.00 per dog we have two did i moan no just did not go back and informed all about this site i dont think the site mentioned is the cc as i have been on many and my friends have visited and not been charged for there car

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I'm only sorry[HI] the country has stooped so low in the gutter[/HI].

Am i missing something i read the post and did not take it that it was the whole of Scotland just the site was in Scotland,

maybe it was worded badly Mitch,.. but I read it as all of Scotland ..

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Am i missing something i read the post and did not take it that it was the whole of Scotland just the site was in Scotland, and its lets have a go at the caravan club again is it, ive never been charged for the trailer on a Cc site or Ccc site only a private site which has it happens was in Scotland but this would not stop me going i just dont stay on sites that charge, vote with your wheels keep them turning to the next site :thumb:

Hi Mitch if you read the Ops last line it mentions the country not the campsite I'm sure he didnt mean it to come across like that but if he did its a bit harsh as im sure there are loads of site in Scotland that dont charge for trailers

"I'm only sorry the country has stooped so low in the gutter." Copied from op's post

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Hi Mitch if you read the Ops last line it mentions the country not the campsite I'm sure he didnt mean it to come across like that but if he did its a bit harsh as im sure there are loads of site in Scotland that dont charge for trailers

[HI]"I'm only sorry the country has stooped so low in the gutter." Copied from op's post
[/HI]

In true Olympic spirit I'm reading it, that the country that has stooped so low, is our Olympic country......... Good old GB....

Sadly there is rip off pricing on campsites throughout our country ( GB, UK, countries).....::bigsmile:

At least I certainly hope that's what the OP intended......:RollEyes:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Totally disagree !!

so basically if you turn up on site with a motorhome and a trailer and car/motorbike but no awning you get charged more than a similar sized 4 wheel caravan with awning and 20 feet of landrover discovery who get an electric pitch just so they can leave a 2kw fan heater running in the awning 24/7.

I am a member of both clubs, my base being a CC&C site near Oswestry, always a warm welcome there !:Cool:
Also I have just had 3 very pleasant days at the CC site at Pandy in Wakes, again a very warm welcome to an immaculate site !:Cool:
Where and how do you base your statement ! :hardhat:

OP
OP
wiljoy
May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Many thanks for all your constructive replies.
I only ask that certain funsters read the post properly before replying. In no way was I rubbishing Scotland, in fact we spend over 4 months a year touring this beautiful place. It was only the third site we have found to be anti-trailer. The reason for my post was to highlight this site as his attitude was crap. He appears to charge for everything so this is one to miss unless you are a tugger.
Sorry if I have offended any Scottish residents with my post but if read properly no offence was included.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Wiljoy

Thanks for that i did say in one of my post i may have misunderstood it as i read the last line as Scotland stooping low i apologise if i sounded a bit off with you. That can be the problem with text on a forum two people can read it and take it different ways.

Hope you enjoy many more trips to Scotland

Gerry

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
It seems strange, that, in this financial climate, with a lot of sites struggling for custom, that these people charge for every extra they can grab, thereby compounding the problem, people are just going elsewhere.
We have had, so far this year several Emails from the Clubs, all with the same object, BOOK BOOK BOOK There's plenty of room, why haven't you booked, because you are too flamin' dear!

Last week we stayed on a site Home Farm, Blue Anchor, zummerzet, for £3 (a rally) and £13 off rally per night, Showers hook up toilet, AND, Bus at the Gate, a Pub/ Restaurant next door and another about 500 metres away, and a Costcutters 500 the other way.right on the seafront.

Place was chocker blocker!. Alright, the facilitys were a bit "worn" but we managed:Cool:

OP
OP
wiljoy
May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Hi Wiljoy

Thanks for that i did say in one of my post i may have misunderstood it as i read the last line as Scotland stooping low i apologise if i sounded a bit off with you. That can be the problem with text on a forum two people can read it and take it different ways.

Hope you enjoy many more trips to Scotland

Gerry

No offence taken Gerry. We are at Braemar and it's throwing it down. Still, this Scotland is like a drug no matter what the weather.
Wilf

OP
OP
wiljoy
May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
So you phoned one site and because they charge you say that the hole of Scotland is in the gutter (dear/Dear) Answer dont go to the site as there are many who dont charge also dont tarnish everthing with the same brush

Hi Bailey, If you read my post I most certainly did not say the whole of Scotland was in the gutter.If my wording has offended I apologise. I probably spend more time up here through work and leisure than many residents.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back