Trailer advice - why is nothing straight forward! (1 Viewer)

Sep 9, 2014
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Summer 2014
Thought I had the this car, trailer and towing business sorted; it seems not!

Bought a '09 Smart ForTwo - that's the 2nd generation or 451 series, being collected tomorrow.
Found someone that's within relatively easy travelling distance who's selling a Brian James Smart Car trailer (it's actually badged as a BJ Bantam) at a reasonable price. He's used it for towing the 1st generation Smartie.

Very close to calling and sorting the deal until I had a sudden realisation that the newer Smartie is longer and wider - not by a lot, I don't have the figures to hand.
A quick call the BJ trailers and they tell me it's 10 years since they've manufactured the "Bantam" which was indeed capable of carrying the original Smartie. However, they don't recommend that trailer for the 2nd gen Smartie.

Well, best laid plans of men and mice, and all that...that's my good idea going down the swany - or am I being wrongly persuaded to invest in a new BJ trailer.

I'm sure that some of you are using 2nd gen Smarties, so what advice can you give on trailers please. Really don't want to get it wrong!

Voyger1010

Free Member
Oct 25, 2013
UK
Funster No
first I don't know about smarties at all, but the weight of the car is around 790kg most important and next whether it will fit the trailer bed with overall length and wheel base length and width, easily measured. Then the weight the trailer can carry., Given the car weight of 790kg approx , means that you will have to have a braked trailer which I believe the BJ trailer was. here are the specs of one which is for sale on gumtree,
Trailer Specifications:
Single Axle. No Winch.
Axle plated to carry 1000 KG making a total of 1 tonnes gross.
Size: Internal length 8 feet , Width 5 feet 5" Approx
155 R13c. Good condition with loads of tread.
Spare Good condition with loads of tread
Set of 4 Straps & Ramps. Tow ball Lock.
Tows brilliantly at speed, no wobbles.
All running gear in perfect working order.
All electrics in perfect working order
Spare Set Rear Lights. Also Extra spare wheel Carrier.
hope it helps

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
2011 Smart MHD on a BJ Smart Max with Movers (essential) love it, looking at the new Smart which it will also accomadate.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I believe the smart/bantom trailers were specifically designed for the car and the single axle was set to counteract the unequal front to rear balance of the car so the loading was designed for one way round only....car on forwards always or the hitch nose weight was too high.

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
I use Woodford Smart Trailers and either a Smart 451 (ForTwo) or Toyoya IQ, depending if I need 2 or 4 seats. I have found that the Woodford trailers are by far the better trailers and even forget that I'm towing, very balanced.

Regards David.

OP
OP
J
Sep 9, 2014
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Summer 2014
Thank you all for your replies - appreciated:)

I'd really to try the Bantam trailer, but the current and I guess, best advice is not to. A quick measure up shows that I only have 1.5" either side of the Smarties wheels on the trailer bed...not a comfortable amount.

I use Woodford Smart Trailers and either a Smart 451 (ForTwo) or Toyoya IQ, depending if I need 2 or 4 seats. I have found that the Woodford trailers are by far the better trailers and even forget that I'm towing, very balanced.

Regards David.

Can I ask David, why you think the Woodford trailers are better than the BJ offerings...just very new to this and like to think I'm able to weigh up pro's/con's of each before making a decision.

Thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back