Trailer advice please (1 Viewer)

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
We're due to collect the new Zippy on July 1st. The only slight problem with the Autoquest (2010 model) is the lack of outside storage. It has a bike rack and a tow bar fitted so a rear box and/or trailer are options.

Since we'll be looking to carry four large deck chairs, BBQ, tripods and other various items I think that a good, lockable, trailer would be the best option. However it's likely that we'll need to carry four bikes on occasions, the bike rack can take two so we'd need a trailer that doesn't interfere with the rack and is able to carry another two bikes, or a trailer that will take four bikes. Any suggestions on make and supplier?

Cheers

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
if you get a small hard topped lockable trailer you could always fit roof rack mounted cycle carriers to the top.

as for makes and suppliers there are so many from the erde trailers supplied by halfrods etc to custom made ones from such as armitages etc.

its a case of how deep are your pockets.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
do remember small trailers are pigs to reverse

Unlike a car trailer with braking the tiny trailers are pigs to reverse... .. you can go up to 750kgs unbraked .... also check on your licence if you have the +e entitlement to tow a trailer.

Bob

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Unlike a car trailer with braking the tiny trailers are pigs to reverse... .. you can go up to 750kgs unbraked .... also check on your licence if you have the +e entitlement to tow a trailer.

Bob
Sub category +E attached to C1 or B categories simply extends the trailer weight to above 750kg.

with C1 or B categories (without +E) you are restricted to 750kg trailers only.

a 750kg trailer should be adequate for most folks needs as a camping trailer

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Small box trailers are ideal .. I towed a 750kg Lynton behind the RV..

held the four bikes, spares, tools, spare wheel, spin dryer, RIB + engine .. and a lot more besides.. great on site as it's like a garden shed, and very secure..

I later bought a 1.5ton twin axle Lynton to carry a motor bike .. but it was a heavy beast and impossible to manhandle on grass ..

best pic I could find .. crossing High Atlas Morocco

BROKEN LINK

BROKEN LINK

Last edited:

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
We have the same problem, changed van and lost the garage. The Fiamma box on the new one is nowhere near big enough for the clutter,I am waiting on aneighbour sourcing a trailer, which i wil adapt to carry the car or "stuff".

Griffs

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
SOUTH WALES
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2007
trailer

We have just bought an Ifor Williams p5e trailer with a lockable top, going to pick it up on the way to Stratford on Thursday ideal storage.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
we have an indespension 6x4x4 box trailer to carry the scooter and god knows what else that wont fit in the van. Specifically chose this one, as although its a 750kg trailer, its also braked and has rear stabilisers which make it far safer to load etc. As the roof is only as high as a car, we can fit a roof rack and bike carriers if needed.

Ive seen loads of people using lower trailers with locking lids and a roof rack fitted for bikes. the problem with these though is you have to unload the rack to open the lid and access anything in the trailer so it makes them hard work

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I keep thinking about trailers but as a fulltimer I worry about it getting knicked.
Also as I bought a small van for getting around in I would lose some of the versatility say for example going to supermarkets etc... :Sad:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back