Tragedy??

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by savantuk, Feb 19, 2010.

1. savantuk

savantuk Read Only Funster

Gordon Brown was visiting a primary school.

In one class they were in the middle of a discussion related to words and their meanings.

The teacher asked Mr. Brown if he would like to lead the discussion on the word 'tragedy'. So the illustrious leader asked the class for an example of a tragedy. A little boy stood up and offered:

'If my best friend, who lives on a farm, is playing in the field & a tractor runs over him and kills him, that would be a tragedy'.

' No, said Gordon - that would be an accident'.

A little girl raised her hand: 'If a school bus carrying fifty children drove over a cliff, killing everyone inside, that would be a tragedy'.

'I'm afraid not,' explained Gordon, 'that's what we would call great loss'.

The room went silent. No other children volunteered. Gordon searched the room. 'Isn't there someone here who can give me an example of a tragedy?'.

Finally, at the back of the room, little Johnny raised his hand. In a quiet voice he said 'If a plane carrying you and Mr. Darling was struck by a 'friendly fire' missile & blown to smithereens, that would be a tragedy'.

'Fantastic!' exclaimed Gordon. 'That's right. And can you tell me why that would be tragedy?'.

>
    >
    >

>
    >
    >

>
    >
    >

>
    >
    >

'Well,' says little Johnny 'it has to be a tragedy, because it certainly wouldn't be a great loss and it probably wouldn't be a bloody accident either'

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Tragedy

1. A song by the Bee Gees :Smile:

2. An American punk rock band. :Smile:

3. Labour losing the general election :cry:

4. Tories winning the election .. that will be a lot more than a tragedy .. :Sad:

3. bazfergy

bazfergy Read Only Funster

Living in Scotland:,number 4 would be disastorous:thumb:

4. savantuk

savantuk Read Only Funster

Number one has a particular resonance with me. I just can't listen to them - they set my teeth on edge!!

5. wanderer

wanderer Funster

It will be good riddance to Brown and his band of robbers . B_liar and his thieves have been the trajedy for England
    Wanderer