Traffic Wardens/Parking Enforcement Officer ?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by OllieUK, Jul 17, 2014.

?

Are Traffic Wardens/Parking Enforcement Officers a good thing in your area

Poll closed Jul 24, 2014.
  1. Yes.

56.3%
  2. No.

21.9%
  3. Dont Care.

21.9%
  1. OllieUK

OllieUK Read Only Funster

Whats your opinion on Traffic Wardens/Parking Enforcement Officer in your areas?
    Do you support the work they do to keep your streets clear
    Do you think they are Jobsworth, the council should save their money by cutting their positions.

2. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

our local council opted to have in house enforcement and since then the local situation has improved dramatically

however cover in other areas seems so variable its hard to comment, varying from awfully oppressive through to virtually non existent. having a blue badge, i rarely have issues with parking enforcement myself, other than when they fail to ticket cars illegally using disabled bays

3. Fireman Sam

Fireman Sam Funster

In my area I believe that they do a good job. I am fortunate to live quite close to a railway station with a fast link to Euston. Without the wardens the whole neighbourhood would be a massive station car park.

• Like Like x 1
  4. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

Local town nearby ,they are usually in Witherspoons looking out the window to see a victim.

5. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Our local council has them in house as well and although universally loathed, they are a little pragmatic and you can discuss with them. Keeps down the people who think the rules don't apply to them, surprisingly a lot of them thinking it is OK to go to the nail bar and leave the car parked on double yellows outside, blocking the road for delivery lorries

6. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

Kings Lynn is not exactly dying but high rents and rates are forcing independents out leaving the usual collection of charity and cheapy shops and mobile phone outlets. Add in mid to expensive parking, even after 7pm, plus busy wardens and no wonder folk are shopping out of town, at least all except tattoo covered pie eating, coke swilling layabouts, and that's just the English. o_O

7. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

8. PP Bear

PP Bear Funster Life Member

Think he'll get away with this? :rolleyes:

Tank.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  9. scousebird

scousebird Funster

I live and work in Sandwich which is a medieval town with narrow streets, therefore lots of parking restrictions. We constantly see cars parked on double yellows etc. while driver "just nips" somewhere and it can cause chaos, especially for delivery trucks. Below is one example of parking near our office, we wondered if they thought they were ok as they were so far from the yellow line :rofl:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  10. PP Bear

OMG!!! Thats pure selfishness, nothing more, nothing less. Remove it, crush it, then a lesson to everyone :)

• Like Like x 2
  11. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Unbelievable!!! Probably someone's A frame car that became detached......... ;)

• Like Like x 1
  12. OllieUK

My experience is:
    The cost to park your vehicle is 20p for 10 minutes there after its 10p a minute so if you just want to 'Pop' into the shop, post office, school, pub, bank, police station, thats very little to pay, of course in reality 10 minutes is NOT long enough so its going to cost you a few pence more. I would say that 20p is good value though if you are just going to stop for a short period of less than10 minutes.
    Usually find that the town centre is regularly patrolled by wardens, but side streets can cause congestion with cars parked on the kerb over double yellows, or near traffic lights. and its usually the same culprits, daily abusing this.
    Regular double parking can be seen daily on the Harbour Parade at Ramsgate, A blind eye seems to be in action in this area as this practice has been going on for a few years outside the bars and resteraunts. I used to regularly see the local bobby on his bike in this area, never seen a ticket issued though.
    How about people who park on the corner. ever tried to pull out onto a main street and a truck, car, van, is parked at the corner making it very dangerous to pull out safely? isn't there a law that says there should be a specific distance to park before the corner? Talking about corners, next time your out look out for Bus Stops situated on a corner, just before a zebra crossing, or on a dangerous part of the road. Are buses exempt from road traffic laws?
    All things considered, I agree that a Traffic Warden is a thankless job, but without them selfish road users would soon bring chaos to town centres and cities.
    And can someone please explain the term POP ( POPPING) to me in terms of time taken, (someone who just pops to the shop could be causing a traffic jam for 30 minutes or more and all you get in response when they return to their vehicle is a load of abuse or a 2 finger jesture. )
    Book Em Danno!!!

• Like Like x 1
  13. TheCaller

TheCaller Funster

Looks more like incompetence & a total lack of awareness to me. If that's how they stop, I wouldn't want to be around when they start driving again. Probably safer where it is!

It would probably take quite a long time to explain to them what the problem was.:(

• Like Like x 1
  14. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Traffic Wardens have an awful job. The ones in Edinburgh have a bad reputation but are under pressure from all sides - their employers have an even worse reputation. It's not a job I would like to do.

However they are human and deserve respect and politeness for doing the job they do. There are "jobsworths" in all walks of life but a smile and a "G'day" can lighten even the hardest of hearts. I've found most to be pleasant and helpful but there is always an exception of course.

• Like Like x 1
  15. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

When Scarborough was a police state all traffic/parking enforcement was by police employed traffic wardens....the yellow hat-band variety.....four of them including one on a moped in recent years.

Then the police handed over the job to local council and there are dozens of them.......mostly east europeans with limited english so begging and pleading your case is all but impossible.

Saying that they do a fair job and the town would come to a standstill (as if it doesnt now :mad:) if there were none at all.

16. PP Bear

Trouble is we've all seen the documentaries about the good old traffic warden. It's all bad news and painted in a bad light. They have a quota to fill and from what I've seen, hardly ever let you off. Suppose it's classed as just doing their job, but I wouldn't want to do it!!

• Like Like x 1
  17. rangitira

rangitira Funster

Look you fellas, get one thing straight! It is OK to park on Zebra crossings, on zig zags, Double Yellows, blind bends, just before the crest, narrow streets, busy arterial A roads, IT'S ALLOWED!!!

as long as you have a blue badge, or, a 4x4 (these you can actually park with all doors open) while you fumble with your childs seat belt to remove the brat so he/she can terrorise his/her teachers.

In our Village we have a traffic enforcement officer that is invisable, We have people parking on Bus stops, double yellows , across drives etc etc

Yet!we have Jobs worths that told a neighbour the tree he had planted obstructed the view of people pulling out of our street onto the main road

Until he pointed out, the council had planted the tree, he had just put in a pole to support the tree

• Like Like x 1
  18. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

I wish we had a traffic warden round here! The muppets park anywhere they like because they know there isn't any enforcement of parking restrictions. Just this evening while walking home I encountered an estate car parked on double yellow lines, on the footpath to the point of obstructing it, facing oncoming traffic on a blind bend. I have been know to ask "what page is it on"? Always responded to with a blank look at which I continue "what page of the highway code says you can park however the f£$k you like as long as you put your hazard flashers on"? We have no traffic wardens, we have PCSOs or whatever they call them, I asked one once why they ignored the car parked on the footpath on double yellows to which they replied "we have no authority over parking"!

D.

• Like Like x 1
  19. OllieUK

Seems ironic that in actual fact they are breaking a law and the police have No authority to do anything about it.
    The mind boggles.

20. jb0371

jb0371 Read Only Funster

Thats why I dont go into lynn. lol

• Like Like x 2