Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
Where I live in Crawley there are so many traffic lights that is can take over half an hour to get from one side of town to the other, I can take a route where I encounter 10 sets of traffic lights in 1 mile of driving and most of these seem to be timed so you catch every one of them :madder:
Do you know any other places where you can encounter more traffic signals than this in a 1 mile stretch of road.

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
Lancaster - 11 sets of lights (if you include Pelican crossings) in 0.8 miles.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Sheffield - some only just far enough apart to fit the van between them.
Problem with traffic lights is they are now centrally controlled so that each day the timing can be different. I think that those with access to this control set them so they can get about uninterrupted. Bloody council employers. :)

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Where I live there are probably more than a dozen sets ot traffic lights on the route into town a distance of about one and a half miles constant queues at peak times and travel time of twenty minutes is not uncommon its quicker to walk :eek:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
have you noticed a small aerial on many sets of traffic lights? designed for emergency vehicles to over ride for obvious reasons. but there is a phone app about that also emits the correct signal for some not all traffic lights

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
The A6 through Stockport up to the split to Buxton road if you can hit the first set @29 mph you get them all on green. When I was driving tippers our first run in the morning @5am the four of us could get up there very easily, later in the day not so but the 29mph still worked if you could manage it.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Torbay seems to be obsessed with traffic lights.
What drives me up the wall is drivers who look at the green light ( even with a bloody arrow on it sometimes to give a further clue) then think, then crawl forward. Never looking in their mirror to see the queue behind, who are now held at the lights again because they change so quickly.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The A6 through Stockport up to the split to Buxton road if you can hit the first set @29 mph you get them all on green. When I was driving tippers our first run in the morning @5am the four of us could get up there very easily, later in the day not so but the 29mph still worked if you could manage it.
That arrangement used to be a general rule but I think it may have since been overcome in many places by volume of traffic and/or pedestrian crossing phases.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We have no traffic lights in our town, in fact there are none in the whole county though we do have three Panda crossings all told. There used to be just four roundabouts then someone invented mini-roundabouts and they bred.

Aug 31, 2015
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt, AS Winchcombe
Exp
since 2013
Yorkshire holds the record!! ONE Junction, with 42 traffic lights. (A1174/Grovehill Road) Beverley.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3214825/Junction-42-sets-traffic-lights.html

Even the German News Media got in the act!!

https://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/...ffic+Lights+Grovehill+Beverley&fr=yfp-t-903-s

Pete

I'll second that!! Huddersfield has a ridiculous amount of traffic lights and they definitely dont improve traffic flow! Must be a Yorkshire thing

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Proves a point, traffic lights dont work.

Scarboroughs valleybridge parade/somerset terrace and the northway/victoria road ligjts quite often fail.....and traffic flows smoothly and quicker when they are down.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
have you noticed a small aerial on many sets of traffic lights? designed for emergency vehicles to over ride for obvious reasons. but there is a phone app about that also emits the correct signal for some not all traffic lights

Other than outside Fire Stations (not from the vehicle) or in some bus only areas I've not heard of any vehicles being able to control traffic lights. Most traffic lights with aerials are part of a local transport network scheme.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Proves a point, traffic lights dont work.

Scarboroughs valleybridge parade/somerset terrace and the northway/victoria road ligjts quite often fail.....and traffic flows smoothly and quicker when they are down.

AS, did the aforesaid A1174 Junction when the system went into meltdown!!

Pere

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Other than outside Fire Stations (not from the vehicle) or in some bus only areas I've not heard of any vehicles being able to control traffic lights. Most traffic lights with aerials are part of a local transport network scheme.
Emergency service vehicles were fitted with devices to control traffic lights when I worked with them back in the 1980s.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
W
When Scarboroughs park n ride bus lane (A165) was first introduced the park n ride buses had transducers fitted to favour green lights to the bus lane.
Didnt last long though.
Now if the buslane light is red they simply lane jump into the non bus lane.....but you try jumping into theirs, under threat of death.

OP
OP
Big bus man

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
Buses should always have priority, bus lanes are brilliant as they double up as an emergency vehicle lane but why should taxis be able to use them (n)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
The ONLY sensible think I can see about bus lanes. Is that in "enlightened" city of Culture 2017. HULL. Motorcycles are allowed to use them!!.

Now there IS a surprise!!!!

Pete

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back