Traders who rip you off of shipping (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
And others too.
For me, my first duty is to my customers not to my convenience
A cheaper, better, more efficient service that carriers offer over and above RM may not be easiest for me or my staff, but that does not matter.

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Also had a mail order company previously and think there are two issues.

Not discovering the shipping charge until the point of payment is very irritating for folk. If it's possible to automatically insert a shipping charge at the final invoice stage then it's possible to provide that information earlier on in the process.

Second equally important part is the cost in time and material to pack a small heavy unbreakable item against a large delicate item of the same weight is chalk and cheese. If any company is to make a profit the time and materials used to pack the delicate items have to be paid for or the company wont exist for long.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Without offense to anyone I think ebay has the P&P charges right at the beginning just under the price so it's easy to see--just a case of adding the 2 together for the cheapest price ---
I do remember a post from Peter -JCM a couple of yrs back asking about charges by other couriers -I told him about a deal my brother had at the time from DPD which for my brother was good.
Are Peters prices the same online as in his shop ?If so then there'sno problem simply go collect from shop :thumb:
I know my brothers courier charged him a flat rate be it under 1 kg or up to about 50kg :Eeek:
It also Pees me off when they don't show P&P charges at the beginning and I also often fill all the forms in only to not go through with a sale because the total is too high :Eeek:At the end of the day that is what matters the total I pay -yes I agree with John you should show the P&P CHARGES AT THE BEGINNING --Amazon is another prime example of not showing P&P charges until the very end of the checkout IE after I filled out CC details etc
Peter I think it may be time to update your web site :winky:
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Without offense to anyone I think ebay has the P&P charges right at the beginning just under the price so it's easy to see--just a case of adding the 2 together for the cheapest price ---
I do remember a post from Peter -JCM a couple of yrs back asking about charges by other couriers -I told him about a deal my brother had at the time from DPD which for my brother was good.
Are Peters prices the same online as in his shop ?If so then there'sno problem simply go collect from shop :thumb:
I know my brothers courier charged him a flat rate be it under 1 kg or up to about 50kg :Eeek:
It also Pees me off when they don't show P&P charges at the beginning and I also often fill all the forms in only to not go through with a sale because the total is too high :Eeek:At the end of the day that is what matters the total I pay -yes I agree with John you should show the P&P CHARGES AT THE BEGINNING --Amazon is another prime example of not showing [HI]P&P charges until the very end of the checkout IE after I filled out CC details etc
Peter I think it may be time to update your web site [/HI]:winky:
terry

I've bought several things from JCM .. as I pointed out at the start of the thread, the shipping costs ARE shown and costs are capped to a maximum of £6-95p per order..

Don't forget, you also get the Funster discount.. which isn't applied until the check-out.

One of my orders was a EHU cable + level blocks and a few bits and bobs.. I thought shipping costs were very good and the level of service , speed of delivery excellent..

I priced up the same goods elsewhere and no one was cheaper.. even ebay sellers.. once you added shipping costs.. if I had gone out to buy at a shop it would have cost me considerable more when you take into account time + fuel cost.

A rip-off is where a shipping price is excessive and or not clear.. ..
IMO neither of these criteria apply to the JC web site...the max shipping cost is clearly stated .. so it's easy to do a price comparison.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
What you should all do is get some pound notes in your pocket and get out there and get stuff at the right price, never mind all this internet nonsense.:Eeek:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
What you should all do is get some pound notes in your pocket and get out there and get stuff at the right price, never mind all this internet nonsense.:Eeek:

Far too little time to bu**er about shopping, let someone else do the work.:roflmto:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Then with respect Peter, change your carrier mate. Simple
Or perhaps allow customers to arrange collection by their own carrier

I am very happy with the couriers I use, excellent service and invariably next day, as to Hermes and the like, paying for collections, no way with something like 150 orders going out on a Monday...............

Also bear in mind they have to be able to take a wide variety of items from a 3.5 metre awning, a 100 qt. coolbox, large tent down to a end cap..............

Peter

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I've bought several things from JCM .. as I pointed out at the start of the thread, the shipping costs ARE shown and costs are capped to a maximum of £6-95p per order..

Don't forget, you also get the Funster discount.. which isn't applied until the check-out.

One of my orders was a EHU cable + level blocks and a few bits and bobs.. I thought shipping costs were very good and the level of service , speed of delivery excellent..

I priced up the same goods elsewhere and no one was cheaper.. even ebay sellers.. once you added shipping costs.. if I had gone out to buy at a shop it would have cost me considerable more when you take into account time + fuel cost.

A rip-off is where a shipping price is excessive and or not clear.. ..
IMO neither of these criteria apply to the JC web site...the max shipping cost is clearly stated .. so it's easy to do a price comparison.

I have not been on Peters site so did not know that -SO PERHAPS I SHOULD NOT HAVE SAID UPDATE HIS WEB SITE -but THERE IS ALWAYS A BUT -John did clearly not see the P&P charge until the end so perhaps it needs looking at ::bigsmile: Again having not been on the site why not have all charges shown before getting CC details ? then it's a case of ooops that too costly forget it :winky: yet again I am only going off what John said about having to enter CC detail first so no actual trial of the system.
terry

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks

Needed a 16 amp Hook up box and flap for the side of a caravan urgently yesterday
1 Hr on the phone to establish all the McDonalds rejects didnt know what one looked like so didn't know if they had one or not, after questions like how big is the hook? and what is an amp? did I mean a cd player:Doh:

I get the Van out and did as you suggested 2.5 hrs running around Mansfield and the surrounding area to learn they either had none or only had Black ones in stock (Not seen that many Black Caravans ) They cant understand why the white ones sell so quickly:cry:
finished up at a caravan dealers (No shop) he could get me one in an HR from a white van man accessory dealer who called every other day but would not disclose the van mans details so i could deal direct:RollEyes:
he got me one for £22 they are £13 each on fleabay just couldn't wait:Doh:
Shopping you can keep it
G

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
[/COLOR]
I have not been on Peters site so did not know that -SO PERHAPS I SHOULD NOT HAVE SAID UPDATE HIS WEB SITE -but THERE IS ALWAYS A BUT -John did clearly not see the P&P charge until the end so perhaps it needs looking at ::bigsmile: Again having not been on the site why not have all charges shown before getting CC details ? then it's a case of ooops that too costly forget it :winky: yet again I am only going off what John said about having to enter CC detail first so no actual trial of the system.
terry

Go on the JC site.. look at the top banner .. click on 'terms.'. ' shipping and returns'

nothing hidden... no need to place an order or even browse the products ..
final cost cannot be calculated until the order is at the check-out.. but you know what the range will be..

Delivery Costs

All delivery costs are dependent upon the total weight of the items you order and where they are to be delivered, all postage items will be charged between £1.35 and £5.95.

Heavier items and multiple orders will leave via our courier service. A charge of £6.95 is applied for these items which is capped.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Needed a 16 amp Hook up box and flap for the side of a caravan urgently yesterday
1 Hr on the phone to establish all the McDonalds rejects didnt know what one looked like so didn't know if they had one or not, after questions like how big is the hook? and what is an amp? did I mean a cd player:Doh:

I get the Van out and did as you suggested 2.5 hrs running around Mansfield and the surrounding area to learn they either had none or only had Black ones in stock (Not seen that many Black Caravans ) They cant understand why the white ones sell so quickly:cry:
finished up at a caravan dealers (No shop) he could get me one in an HR from a white van man accessory dealer who called every other day but would not disclose the van mans details so i could deal direct:RollEyes:
he got me one for £22 they are £13 each on fleabay just couldn't wait:Doh:
Shopping you can keep it
G

Should have gone to the VW converter at Chesterfield (forgot there name :Doh:)
terry

54mud

Free Member
Sep 18, 2009
Stone, Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
24 on and off
Ebay charges

As a business seller on Ebay, they charge you a final value fee AND a percentage of the postage charge. Maybe to stop people over charging for postage.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
As a business seller on Ebay, they charge you a final value fee AND a percentage of the postage charge. Maybe to stop people over charging for postage.

Yes, another ripoff, hadn't noticed they changed the T&C's. Turns out I recently sold an item at a loss because of it, now looking for alternatives to ebay.
Any recomendations? Anybody used Bonanza?
Really need something worldwide or at least europewide.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Go on the JC site.. look at the top banner .. click on 'terms.'. ' shipping and returns'

final cost cannot be calculated until the order is at the check-out.. but you know what the range will be..

Ok.. lets review this..

All delivery costs are dependent upon the total weight of the items you order and where they are to be delivered, all postage items will be charged between £1.35 and £5.95.

Heavier items and multiple orders will leave via our courier service. A charge of £6.95 is applied for these items which is capped.

So how can a couple of plastic reflector boards even APPROACH a heavy figure. £6.70 quoted for shipping don't forget

That exceeds the maximum of £5.95 quoted but then to be fair the order was for 'multiple items' ( both about the weight of a fag packet )
Multiple items.. £6.95 may well be great if the items weighed more than a light thing on a diet but NOT for the items selected

Or perhaps the boards are really high quality and weigh as much as the Fiamma ones do ??

Sorry.. I stand by my original statement..

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)

OK mate but again it's something I don't do Jim -I, like what I am assuming John did, would add to cart and then checkout.
terry

54mud

Free Member
Sep 18, 2009
Stone, Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
24 on and off
Yes, another ripoff, hadn't noticed they changed the T&C's. Turns out I recently sold an item at a loss because of it, now looking for alternatives to ebay.
Any recomendations? Anybody used Bonanza?
Really need something worldwide or at least europewide.

I make sure my postage charge's cover the extra Ebay charge. So it's the customer who pays in the end, but may think they are being ripped off. I don't take the p#ss with the postage charge but if anyone ever questions the charge I will tell them it includes Ebays charge, so they know who is doing the ripping off.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Do you realise that postage and packing charges attract VAT at 20% if you are a business seller and VAT registered

The bloodsuckers say its a service and as such is Vatable.

Peter

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
OK mate but again it's something I don't do Jim -I, like what I am assuming John did, would add to cart and then checkout.
terry

fair enough..

but John is accusing JC of ripping off customers by overcharging for carriage... and hiding the cost until checkout..

I disagree, so let's agree to disagree.. I say as I find ... as a happy JC customer..

I found the order I placed with JC ..

A fairly big order and the shipping is as stated on website. I received it the day after I ordered.. that to me is service, second to none.. worth every penny..

Cart Items SKU Qty Item Price Item Total
Awning Pole Sucker
111710 1 £4.89 GBP £4.89 GBP
Caravan Corner Steady Excell Jack Pads
1265 1 £4.89 GBP £4.89 GBP
Caravan Motorhome Mains Hook Up Connection Lead 25
061210 1 £25.99 GBP £25.99 GBP
Fiamma Kem 2lt Toilet Chemical
188552 97310-022 1 £7.50 GBP £7.50 GBP
Fiamma Level System Magnum
084125 97901-015 1 £17.00 GBP £17.00 GBP
Gas Propane Regulator + 1mt Hose
070335 1 £7.82 GBP £7.82 GBP
Subtotal: £68.09 GBP
[HI]Coupon Code (funster2): -£3.40 GBP
Shipping: £6.95 GBP
Grand Total: £71.64 GBP[/HI]

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I know from our small shop that getting the postage right on multiple items can be a nightmare, and just as you do, rates change, as do dimensions and weights:Doh: I paid for some sophisticated addons to the shop software to help but it still gives problems.:Angry:

Re Peters shop, I think 'Rip Off' is a bit too strong a sentiment. The shipping price is clearly shown on the product page and postage is a major part of the cart and impossible to ignore as you have to calculate it, its not hidden away. You have a choice to pay or not, IMO that's hardly being ripped off. Incidentally, if you put 200 of the said items in the cart its still only charges £6.95

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
fair enough..

but John is accusing JC of ripping off customers by overcharging for carriage... and hiding the cost until checkout..

I disagree, so let's agree to disagree.. I say as I find ... as a happy JC customer..

I found the order I placed with JC ..

A fairly big order and the shipping is as stated on website. I received it the day after I ordered.. that to me is service, second to none.. worth every penny..

Cart Items SKU Qty Item Price Item Total
Awning Pole Sucker
111710 1 £4.89 GBP £4.89 GBP
Caravan Corner Steady Excell Jack Pads
1265 1 £4.89 GBP £4.89 GBP
Caravan Motorhome Mains Hook Up Connection Lead 25
061210 1 £25.99 GBP £25.99 GBP
Fiamma Kem 2lt Toilet Chemical
188552 97310-022 1 £7.50 GBP £7.50 GBP
Fiamma Level System Magnum
084125 97901-015 1 £17.00 GBP £17.00 GBP
Gas Propane Regulator + 1mt Hose
070335 1 £7.82 GBP £7.82 GBP
Subtotal: £68.09 GBP
[HI]Coupon Code (funster2): -£3.40 GBP
Shipping: £6.95 GBP
Grand Total: £71.64 GBP[/HI]

I read John's post that got posted while I was writing ::bigsmile::thumb:Yep I can see how both parties feel :thumb:
For my bit it Pi--es me off when I think I have a bargain / good deal only to find that once my card details are filled in the postage etc is added to final bill making it not so good a deal :Smile: Either way John has his thought's and Peter has his way -not saying either is wrong /ripping off -just that I too like John's first post agree that it's wrong to have me fill out my card details only to find after that the P&P has been added to the final total --IE give me total THEN get my details :thumb:
terry
EDIT again READ/written after posting I do agree with what RL J has just written also ::bigsmile:

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
The cost WAS hidden until the last minute...

So you go through all the rigmarole of filling in details etc etc only to find the inflated price AFTERWARDS

John's 3 rd post :winky:
terry

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
Ordered over 70 quids worth of "stuff" from an advertizer on here, but had to order by phone due to computer problems. Offered discount code to them, but they told me my order was not high enough value to qualify, so no discount. Not impressed. (this John was Cross) clue.
Also - you should try ordering things for delivery to this part of the United Kingdom!!!! - Northern Ireland - even those who use the Post Office - try to charge more.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The postal charges are not made clear until check out Jim..
Vague statements of this amount of £ to that amount of £ does not constitute information of use.
I have just returned and double checked as I was starting to sort of hope I had made a mistake..
However....

This is a copy and paste:

Shipping:Calculated at checkout
Delivery between £2.95 - £6.95 maximum total shipping costs. FREE delivery over £150.00

All the quotes for other stuff are both muddying the water and are actually irrelevant
IF I had wanted to but shed loads of stuff then great.
As I did not I fail to see how anything else is related ..

I did NOT :

Complain about the shipping of a huge selection of items
I complained about the cost of shipping on two items that is over twice the rate expected
If the seller wishes to use x service that is up to them.. but I, as a customer should not be expected to subsidise that choice

I did NOT name names ... if folk wish to drop hints or indeed step forward I cannot be held responsible for their actions

I reported as it happened and as I see it.

I would complain about any firm doing the same ( and indeed have in the past reported many many instances of over charging to eBay as an example ).

The fact someone is a member on here will not alter my perception or indeed the PERTINENT / RELEVANT facts

Oh and yes Peter, I am well aware postal services attract VAT and the figures I gave were inclusive

To ship the items under discussion would have cost £2.90 including the VAT component COLLECTED from you should you use a range of services offered that do not involve RM

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I know from our small shop that getting the postage right on multiple items can be a nightmare, and just as you do, rates change, as do dimensions and weights:Doh: I paid for some sophisticated addons to the shop software to help but it still gives problems.:Angry:

Re Peters shop, I think 'Rip Off' is a bit too strong a sentiment. The shipping price is clearly shown on the product page and postage is a major part of the cart and impossible to ignore as you have to calculate it, its not hidden away. You have a choice to pay or not, IMO that's hardly being ripped off. Incidentally, if you put 200 of the said items in the cart its still only charges £6.95

Actually with that quantity any order over £150 is FREE:thumb:

Peter

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Ordered over 70 quids worth of "stuff" from an advertizer on here, but had to order by phone due to computer problems. Offered discount code to them, but they told me my order was not high enough value to qualify, [HI]so no discount. Not impressed. (this John was Cross)[/HI] clue.
Also - you should try ordering things for delivery to this part of the United Kingdom!!!! - Northern Ireland - even those who use the Post Office - try to charge more.

Most strange as there is NO MINIMUM ORDER value, what was your order number and I will rectify.

Standard Royal Mail postage to Northern Ireland is not surcharged but all couriers charge a lot more and ParcelForce are now doing that as well, I dont use them though, TNT and Interlink are our couriers in the main and I charge basically what it costs me.

Peter

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
We send out very little by carrier perhaps ten parcels a week, so we have no real experience of the vast amount that Johns Cross sends out.

I would guess overall looking at the huge amount of positive feedback that Johns Cross gets that overall they are doing an excellent job.

I personally thing that if you send out a huge amount of items of differing weights and volumes that you will end up with a win some, loose some pricing structure, and you could analyse one out of a hundred parcels and be able to say that the price for that "particular" item was expensive or perhaps "cheap"

We charge a tenner for most things, and suggest that people can collect it if they don't want to pay the tenner.

Given that if some one walks into the shop and picks up a gad detector pen, we ring £29.99 into a till and say "thank you"

If some one wants to buy one mail order, we have to get the pen, wrap it up safely, add the details onto a database, print the label, stick the labels on it, and then mess around with stickers and signatures when the carrier arrives.

So I will happily charge £10.00 postage and packaging as simply it takes a lot longer than a customer walking up to the counter, paying and leaving

The great thing about the internet is that if you don't like one business's style there is loads more people all selling the same or similar products :thumb:

In Peters case you don't even have to pay ANY P&P over £150 and a maximum of £6.95 under that figure

As to being added on at the end, it's not till the end that the system knows what you want and how much you have spent, making it hard to calculate the P&P until you've finished shopping :Eeek:

Eddie

Eddie

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Could we avoid turning this thread into a JC bash please.

They are an honourable company in my experience and I would have no hesitation whatsoever in recommending them to anyone.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I am going to buy 300 of those reflector things and offer them to Funsters at a flat £3.00 a go:thumb:*

*P&P Extra**

**P&P £10.00

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Could we avoid turning this thread into a JC bash please.

They are an honourable company in my experience and I would have no hesitation whatsoever in recommending them to anyone.

Chris

I totally agree with what you say. I also would not have a problem recommending them to anybody. :thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back