Trader or private for my next van?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by thesteveboyce, Mar 29, 2015.

1. thesteveboyce

thesteveboyce

Hi Everyone,
    We've had our little van for three years now but would like to upgrade to something a little bigger and more luxurious. Our Mobilvetta Top Driver has done us proud and we think it will retain it's value when we come to sell it.

When sold we think we'll have around £30k to play with, as that's a lot of money, we are wondering if it's safer to go to a trader and get a warranty with our new van?

With this sort of budget we're hoping to get a van that's only a few (up to five) years old. Therefore we don't think the warranty has a huge value, new vans don't go wrong, right?

We're looking at something like an Elddis on a Peugeot or Ducatto base. We're sold on the idea of a U-Shaped lounge and want an over the cab bunk too but are flexible on everything else.

When buying a car I would always go private as I know traders rip everyone off. Should I be brave and do the same? If so can anyone recommend a good place to look online? Autotrader and Ebay and Preloved are on my list.

Many thanks in advance

Steve

2. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

A lot depends on your ability to check out your intended purchase, newish vehicles do have problems, some are sold on only because of layout problems or the need for a different size van. So eventually the choice is yours buy through a reputable dealer and pay a little extra for service and warranty or buy private for less with no comeback whatsoever.

3. Terry

Terry Funster

Personally I would go private every time -but I am handy with my hands so anything needed to be fixed I would do it myself -the money saved by going private will more than cover the cost of any work that needed to be done -plus I would hope to spot any probs before buying and pay appropriately:D -if going via dealer just make sure they are as good as they claim to be -ask on here if anyone has had dealings with them
    terry

• Like Like x 2
  4. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

We bought ours private last month and are delighted with it. If you choose to go private remember your eues are your merchant, try to take along a damp meter and someone knowledgeable.
    With the amount of members on here im sure a local knowledgeable funster would help you check it out.

Happyhunting whatever you choose.

• Like Like x 1
  5. pandj

pandj Funster Life Member

6. Mikey RV

Mikey RV Funster

We bought ours private. I think you know when things are right as soon as you meet the seller. In our case the couple were such a nice couple and so genuine it all went really well. We had a RV before bought from a dealer who seemed ok but at the end of the day they were being nice to us, got our money and forgot us, lied to us about the service it had done or not in this case etc. go on instinct I say.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jaime

Jaime

For £30k you would get a brilliant American RV and enough space to throw a party for 20 people.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

If you're confident buy private but ideally take someone with some knowledge with you 2 heads better than 1.
    If not find a decent dealer with a good reputation. Not all dealers are crooks there are good ones as well.
    As for new vans not going wrong good luck with that one :eek:
    Good luck (y)

• Like Like x 2
  9. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Unless a dealer is very local it can be very costly in time fuel and inconvenience getting anything rectified so to me a complete waste of time.
    As said either know what you are doing/buying or get help. Personally I would not go the dealer route ever! you get so much more van for the money privately.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

Isn't Ken beerdrinker's Eldis van for sale?

11. Terry

Terry Funster

He sold it early this year (y)
    terry

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

13. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Your welcome to come down the M25 and A21 and visit us, if you leave at 10am and leave us to come home at 4pm its normally no problem with traffic, just watch the speed cameras !

Peter

14. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

Thanks Terry.​

15. Popeye

Popeye Funster

I beg to differ, and I expect that Johns Cross motorhomes and all the other reputable dealers will too.

There was a thread on here this last month where a member had a real problem with a fault on his van, the recommendation from one or two on here was "sell it quick and hope the buyer doesn't notice."

....and you KNOW traders rip everyone off. Yeah right.

16. kaasbroodje

kaasbroodje Funster

Finding the right van is the hard part...

I'm no fan of dealers but if the right van comes along at the right price, then why not ?

17. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

My current MH was just a year old when I bought it. Only had a few faults; cracked washbasin, light gone in fridge, loo wouldn't flush and reverse camera not working. All put right by dealer before we left the premises (Brownhills) except the washbasin that had to come from France. I suggest if you buy from a dealer and they're not near you, stay on their forecourt till it's all done. Most have some sort of site/cl you can stay on

18. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

spot on.. (y)

we were looking for ages.. didn't care whether private or dealer... as it happens it was from a dealer..

and I as far as I'm concerned got a cracking deal .. so very happy...

19. thesteveboyce

thesteveboyce

thanks for your input and advice everyone, since the post we think we have located our ideal van. It's with a trader but seems to be priced competitively compared to others I have seen.

Sorry if I offended any dealers BTW, I realise they aren't all out to rip us off and do have to make a living. The dealer we have found is family run in Banbury (Elite) and seems fair, we've found some good reviews on them and they offer a three year warranty.

The van we've fallen for is an Autotrail Apache 634L year 2010. I've tried to do some digging around and have found a few negative reviews re quality control from Autotrail; which worry me a tad.

Does anyone here have any experience with this van or make at all? There seems to be a lot of them around, I'm not sure whether that's a good thing or not!

Here's the link to the actual van we're interested in http://www.elitemotorhomes.co.uk/coachbuilt/695-autotrail-apache-634l.html

Grateful for your help everyone.

20. markh

markh

Make sure you reverse it during the test drive, Ducato of that age suffered with the well documented reverse judder, check there is no 'thump' from under the cab on start up (rear engine mount) again we'll documented , both faults were almost universal on the 2.3 of that age and should have been fixed under warranty, use the reg number to check with Fiat if the dealer doesn't know

Talking from experience, Marquis told me the thump was the step retracting! although they did fix it when I took it back

• Like Like x 2