Traction battery instead of Leisure

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by jezport, Nov 20, 2010.

1. jezport

jezport Funster

There are quite a few people who say they are using traction batteries instead of Leisure batteries.

Has anyone here used traction batteries instead of leisure batteries for a long time and have they lasted?

I am asking as I have the chance of fitting a large truck battery in my van to use for a leisure battery and wonder if it will last.

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

by 'truck' battery do you mean a goods vehicle battery ?

if so, it will be a regular lead acid jobby and wont be suitable for deep discharge....no different to a car battery, only much bigger capacity.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sundowners

Sundowners Funster Life Member

Hi
    as John said---a truck would not have a traction battery fitted----------------an electric fork truck would however.--------- A traction battery would be ideal--but usually large and expensive
    Nigel

4. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

There are some traction batteries available that are quite small.. usually fitted on motorised pallet trucks and the like, but hellish expensive if you do not happen to work in the fork truck game and know someone who is scraping a truck !

For the small advantage over a good quality leisure battery I would not bother

• Like Like x 1
  5. jezport

jezport Funster

Sorry, what I meant was a good quality standard lorry battery. The type that are OK to operate tail lifts as well as being starter batteries.

I have read that the Varta SHD range are very good construction and can cope OK as a leisure battery. We never deep discharge the battery and always recharge within a few hours either by solar or generator if we have no EHU

The battery I am considering using is the 225AH SHD http://www.varta-automotive.com/index.php?id=238

I have acquired a nearly new one at a good price.

6. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

In that case I would suggest you rethink..
    They are not designed to be deep discharged and a couple of good 'drain downs' and a normal battery will not be at its best, probably with warped plates :Sad:

7. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Not for the first time but I am going to disagree with most of the battery advice given on this thread..

There is no such thing as a deep cycle leisure battery .. nor is there such a thing as a marine battery,.. you may as well stick Micky Mouse on it for all it means. Put a rope through it or stick a pretty picture of a boat and it becomes a Marine battery .. ohh and if it has a caravan picture it becomes a leisure battery :RollEyes:

The bottom line is that lead acid batteries have been around since the 1st World War and the basic principles have changed very little since.

There are two basic types of batteries.

Starter and Traction ...

For general leisure use: use low cost Lead Acid which can be topped up with water... so called leisure .. el cheapos

one last thought , why can you buy a so called 120ah leisure battery for about fifty quid, yet a 45ah starter battery will cost closer to seventy quid ?

Don't be conned..

and to answer the OP .. your big starter battery will outlast and outperform any so called leisure battery .. go for it.

If you don't agree then try Googling ..' the truth about lead acid batteries' .

or read here http://www.sterling-power.com/support-faq-2.htm

• Like Like x 4
  8. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

We've got a couple of 6 v Trojan batteries. http://www.tayna.co.uk/T-105-Trojan-Battery-Deep-Cycle-T105-P7253.html
    We think they are great. Weve got the 85 w solar panel on the roof and very rarely ever have hook up.
    Even this time of year , the batteries are always topped up whilst the motorhome is in storage.

9. scotjimland

Trojan are traction batteries ..

can't beat them provided you have the space to accommodate and the finances to buy them..

10. pappajohn

i have to disagree with Jim, for once.

an engine starter battery is designed for short bursts of high current drain......engine cranking.....then its only there as a storage box for excess alternator current.
    it doesn't do anything as the alternator powers all electrics using the battery as a 'smoothing' device.
    it will have a lighter plate construction than a proper leisure battery

a leisure battery is designed for slow, light-ish discharge and will have thicker plates to prevent buckling.

a traction battery is designed for prolonged discharge at a higher rate than a leisure.

i do agree however, that any old battery can have a pretty label attached and sell as a leisure battery by some unscrupulous manufacturers.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

We were very lucky , we had ours given. Favour for a favour .
    They were off a new forklift . Hardly used . :thumb:
    Our diesel heating is a b*gger on the batteries , and totally flattened normal leisure batteries last winter. Trojans are able to cope a lot better.

12. scotjimland

fair enough John.. I've said what I believe and have practiced , so no point in repeating ..

all I will say is read the link and do your own research .. I have emailed a reputable battery manufacturer .. will post when or if they reply ..

13. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Very proper too Ralph n Bev ! Nice one !!! :thumb:

14. pappajohn

if we all agreed on everything it would be a boring world :Sad:

15. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

I don't agree:Doh:

• Like Like x 4
  16. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Well I agree with errr.. wit....... ah sod the lot of yer !

• Like Like x 2
  17. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

ideal long term usage - golf cart(buggy) batteries, they are heavy though and a pretty price new

18. Dude

Dude Read Only Funster

The Trojan 6v range don't look too bad price wise, could 2 of these be temed up with 2 12v leisure batteries by wiring the 2 trojans together and then linking to the 12v's already in place?????

19. jezport

jezport Funster

OK then. What voltage does the battery need to get to, to be considered deeply discharged?

20. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Too bloody long ago for me to rely on memory, so had to dig out my old papers.

Open-circuit at full discharge: 11.5 V to 12.0 V
    Loaded ( any load over .8 amp) at full discharge: 10.4 V

Figures from Exide ( but a while ago ! )