Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
We have a Trafficmaster Trackstar, supplied and fitted by Vanbitz.
Are they essential???
It is up for debate, but it gives us extra peace of mind and a discount on our insurance premium.

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
Yep, got one in mine. Lifetime monitoring from Cobra. Didn't need one for the insurance but for extra protection for peace of mind.

M

Madwife

Deleted User
We have a Phantom tracker on our current MH (came with it fitted) and have had a new one fitted on our new MH (only 11 more big sleeps until we get it). It is a condition of the insurance that we have a tracker and alarm fitted.

I have to say that Phantom have been great every time Howie has accidentally set the alarm off with phone call within minutes asking if all is ok. When we set it up I was very impressed as to test it was working I had to phone while we were on the move. The lady on the phone could tell me exactly where we were, which direction we were going in etc

Kath

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
It was a requirement for the insurance on ours. Trackstar fitted by Vanbitz.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Are they essential, I think the answer is no. However, if your van get's nicked, do you want to get it back? If the answer to the second question is yes, then you probably want a tracker.

Thieves target high value vehicles, but because Trackers are very common, the vehicle will usually be taken to a 'neutral' location. They will then check on it every now and then to see if it gets recovered, i.e. seeing if it has a tracker fitted. If it is still there after 5 days or so, then no tracker is fitted so off they go, and the vehicle is never to be seen again.

The Bogtrotter

Free Member
Oct 12, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy
Exp
We have a tracker most insurance companies insisted because of the value of motorhome. We bought one that we hide in the vehicle ourselves it is pretty small and can be easily moved to another vehicle or valuable item.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Bumping this up as I want to know the answers too :)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Our insurers had a list of approved tracker systems. We had 28 days from the start of the policy to forward them an installation certificate from an approved installer of one of these systems.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
From what I remember the difference in price with and without was not that great and then you have the cost of monitoring so we went for self monitor from the guys at van bitz. They need to get past the strikeback and growler first. Hope they have ear defenders(y)

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Are they essential, I think the answer is no. However, if your van get's nicked, do you want to get it back? If the answer to the second question is yes, then you probably want a tracker.

Thieves target high value vehicles, but because Trackers are very common, the vehicle will usually be taken to a 'neutral' location. They will then check on it every now and then to see if it gets recovered, i.e. seeing if it has a tracker fitted. If it is still there after 5 days or so, then no tracker is fitted so off they go, and the vehicle is never to be seen again.

Not any more I'm afraid the thieves have a little bit of kit that locates the tracker or trackers and they simply remove them!
I'm a shockingly quick time!
If they want your van a decent alarm would be more use than a tracker,but only a thief could tel you how much more!

Vlad

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
Our insurance company insisted on one, occasionally I forget to put it in place, and we soon get a phone call from the monitoring company.
P.s. We locked our keys in the van a few weeks ago, well SWMBO did, and it took the A.A. Nearly 2 hours to get into it. 2 hours I was pleased to wait and look.

Luckily I hadn't set the alarm, if so that would have been my fault as well !!!

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Not any more I'm afraid the thieves have a little bit of kit that locates the tracker or trackers and they simply remove them!
I'm a shockingly quick time!
If they want your van a decent alarm would be more use than a tracker,but only a thief could tel you how much more!

Vlad
Unfortunately probably true. We have strikeback growler and self tracker. That's all we can do for now. After that it's down to your insurance and the hope they don't try to do you over as well:(

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Don't loose sleep. Thieves can pick locks, but when we catch them we, well, Er, lock em up

Vehicle crime is,reducing, massively year on year

I am not a monitored tracking fan, unless it is a condition of insurance to be honest. If it has to be insurance approved we only supply Trackstar.

We have supplied Trackstar since 1998 and Trackstar is the biggest selling stolen vehicle recovery system on the market they also own Euro Watch which most other small tracking companies some of whom I mentioned in this thread use of their European service.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Broken Link Removed

Vlad