Free Member
Sep 6, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2012
Can anyone recommend a good value tracker please. I am thinking of a Phantom but would like to hear recommendations.

Thanks a lot

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Do you want it to have insurance approval? If you do you will have to have a system that is a Cat 5 or Cat 6

If your only doing it for you own peace of mind, then there are a plethora of inexpensive GSM / GPS battery operated systems on the market that would do the job.

Remember, some "Approved" systems are simply cheaper units, programmed to call a "control centre"

There is currently no Thatcham "criteria" for Cat 6 control centres:Eeek: so it could be the fitters iPhone with Google Earth on it!

Cat 5 systems are more expensive, but we the installers are Police checked, there are strict requirements for the control centres, staff numbers, back up staff and systems and a number of other requirements for the actual product

Hope that this helps a little

Eddie

OP
OP
Fermenter

Fermenter

Free Member
Sep 6, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks Eddie

I am looking for a tracker that is monitored 24/7 but not necessarily to reduce the insurance premium, that would be a bonus. Peace of mind is the major driver for a tracker.

Cheers

Reg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Then I would suggest that you stick with either Traffic Master's "Trackstar" the biggest selling stolen vehicle recovery system sold in the UK (The one that we sell before anyone points fingers:RollEyes:) or Tracker

These are major players across the whole motor vehicle sector, and have the resources and the clout to get things done.

Taffic Master own the biggest Pan European cross boarder monitoring company in Europe, a company that many smaller tracking companies have to use to continue to give you cover when abroad.

I personally don't wish to pay a monitoring fee, for a product that will mainly benefit my insurers, in a theft situation, as I am already paying them for theft cover anyway. I use a system that is linked to my Strikeback alarm system as a pager, sends me monthly status reports, tells me if the battery is going low, tells me if my battery is disconnected, allows me to remotely immobilise the motorhome, and sends me location information directly to Google Earth on my smart phone and iPad so I can see exactly where my motorhome is.

But this system is NOT accepted by insurers as it is not monitored (it is by me :thumb:) despite this exact same system being used by a company who have the information sent to them, who in turn then send it to you! This then becomes a "monitored system:Doh: which you have to pay for!

Tracking can be a minefield

(PS The only reason that we only offer Trackstar and have done since about 1998, is that it is the biggest selling system, and normally when independently tested comes out on top)

Eddie

Oct 24, 2013
Nantwich. Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
6yrs ish!
Hi. We have the Cobra tracker, peace of mind 24/7. Can via computer, check battery levels. Also can put in garage mode, put a movement alert on. Etc. not sure what other owners think or advise !!! But best place for advice. :thumb:

happypre65

Free Member
Nov 12, 2010
Funster No
Hi,We had a Tracker fitted by Tracker uk,have never had any problems and they come to you to fit it, plus some good deals,regards H.::bigsmile:

K9Brian

Free Member
Aug 2, 2010
South Manchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since April 2010
I've used Phantom for about 5 years and been very impressed. Got 3 units with them and they're on the ball if I forget to turn them off - usually get a phone call before I've gone 100 yards - in fact on the caravan I'd not even got it on the towball.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
There was a Phantom on the van when we bought it so we took up a subscription. I've forgotten to turn the secret switch off three times and received a phone call after a few miles each time.

OP
OP
Fermenter

Fermenter

Free Member
Sep 6, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks everyone, as always helpful advice from people that know. I have decided to go with Tracker as they have been recommended and have a good deal on at the moment.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back