Tracker system recommendations?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by StitchesnFluff, Apr 25, 2016.

1. StitchesnFluff

StitchesnFluff Funster

hi
    Can I please pick your knowledge.
    Can anyone recommend an easy tracker system & cost?
    Thanks
    Nick

2. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

Long length of that blue plastic twine that phone companies use .dirt cheap ..other than that I. Will leave it to the technical minded to help you out . P.s. I have a cheap magnet one £25 I got off ebay last year ,not all singing or dancing but will tell me if it had moved and where it is ..Roy

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. StitchesnFluff

StitchesnFluff Funster

That sounds good! The ins co (comfort) are requesting a certificate

4. Jim

Jim Ringleader

You can buy really cheap trackers. I fancied the additional aspects of being able to disable the vehicle so went the whole hog and got Vanbitz to install the non-starter. Real peace of mind.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Popeye

Popeye Funster

I too purchased the non-starter following a conversation with Eddie of Van-Bitz fame, I also switched Insurance companies because the big boys were asking for a Category 6 or some such nonsense.

The beauty of the non-starter is not only do you get one of several warnings but you also get the whereabouts on a google map if it has been stolen or moved, you can see it traveling and you can also prevent the engine from being started in the first place.

The big advantage for me is the Non-reliance on a third party company keeping an eye on it for me and letting me know if it has moved. The problem just might be that your insurance company want exactly that.

Please phone @eddievanbitz Eddie to get his slant on it, there is no-one in the UK who knows more about Van security that's for sure. If you'd like to see it in action I'm only just out past Downton at Hale Perlieu.

Griff

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

Safeguard didn't even ask me if I had a,tracker .. The one I have does send you a signal back with the link into Google maps to show where it is . Its just call a mini magnet gps /gprs tracker and is currently on ebay for £25.95 sorry don't know how to attach a link .. But if you want something foolproof then the system that @Popeye and several others have then @eddievanbitz is your man. Roy .ps I have a little hidden switch to isolate the starting system ,switch cost £1.99 time to fit 20 mins ..Roy

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. laird of Dunstan

laird of Dunstan Funster Life Member

I've got Eddie's system fitted ,I think it depends on how attached to your MH you are ,there are cheap eBay ones that can be scanned and jammed, I've got a cat one alarm ,cat 5 tracker and the gsm immobiliser

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

What van are you getting, Comfort don't normally request a tracker, just an alarm.

9. StitchesnFluff

StitchesnFluff Funster

A Hymer B598 PL

Thank you all for your responses

10. SandraL

SandraL Funster

We have a scorpion tracker. Insurance company insisted on tracker with surveillance, ie not just me. We took 5 year contract as that was cheapest option and we expect to keep the van. We also managed to get scorpion to confirm they would replace internal battery in tracker if it failed in that time. We can see via scorpion website where van is, they insist you get crime number before they will liase with police if it gets stolen. Personally I wouldn't want van back but it is a requirement of insurance to have one fitted.

11. My Dog Likes Fishing

My Dog Likes Fishing Funster Life Member

When I went to insure my new Hymer last month the insurance company insisted on a cat 6 tracker being fitted. I also went to Costa Del Devon to Vanbitz towers. Eddie fitted the tracker as well as his non starter. Had the Growler alarm fitted so I got a good 3 year deal on the tracker subscription.

Considering the price of the van the extra paid out for all the security was a no brainier for me.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. carolyn

carolyn Funster

Vanbitz is in Taunton Somerset by the way. Another vote for the non starter.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  13. My Dog Likes Fishing

My Dog Likes Fishing Funster Life Member

Thanks for pointing that out no wonder it took me so long to get there! South of Manchester and I get a nose bleed.

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. carolyn

carolyn Funster

I know what you mean, north of Coventry was a complete mystery to me until daughter went to Uni in Nottingham and one of our sons went to Hull!

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Another vote for non-starter for me. One thing that has not been mentioned is that it is linked to the alarm, so both wife and I get a message on our mobiles if the alarm goes off. That happens even if you have not activated the non-starter. Very useful when you are away from the van.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

If paying UK prices probably puts it in the price band where you need a tracker, if importing probably not.:)

17. StitchesnFluff

StitchesnFluff Funster

Thank you everyone for your responses and offers of help.

18. snowdrops

snowdrops Funster Life Member

We're having the growler and non-start, tracking system with Vanbitz, being installed next week. Did mega amounts of research on the market before decision and to to be honest, not heard a bad work about Vanbitz, all good.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. Spud

Spud Funster

No brainier... Vanbitz.
    Spud

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

You won't get a certificate with anything off ebay. You are going to have to get something professionally installed I think. It might be cheaper looking for an insurance company which don't demand an alarm, not all do. Saga for example - but I suspect you are a shade too young! :)