Tracker recommendations please

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Candapack, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Candapack

Candapack Funster

New van, £50k +, feeling vulnerable.
    Any suggestions please?
    (It does have an alarm and immobiliser).
    Thanks,

2. wiljoy

wiljoy Funster

I to am very safety conscious but after working for the local
    constabulary recently I have totally written off a Tracker.
    Apparently the naughty boys are back buying the blocker devices for trackers. These are readily available on websites and make a tracker device useless. We've had two valuable vehicles stolen from this area recently and both had a tracker fitted. Once stolen the tracker company activated the system but it was showing still parked at the owners residence.
    The choice is yours but a good imobiliser and alarm are still very much a deterent and difficult to bypass.

• Like Like x 2
  3. buttons

buttons Funster

I dont think it is that easy to steal a vehicle these days without having the ignition key. Keep that safe and you should be ok.(y)

4. Clickem

Clickem Funster

5. Tackle man

Tackle man Deleted User

Phantom for me!

Yes it has immobiliser, and the smartphone app is very useful.

• Like Like x 1
  6. buttons

buttons Funster

Not that easy Clickem, this is why vehicle thefts are in free fall. The recent problems have been with one particular type of key less ignition, not seen on motorhomes. Majority of thefts now are of older type vehicles of pre chipped ignition systems or vehicle thefts as part of a house break-in.

7. Phill D

Phill D

depends if you want to monitor it yourself or have a Thatcham approved and professional monitor. i have chosen the later.

8. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Unless your insurer specifies that you MUST have one to be honest I wouldn't bother! Vulnerable is just what the tracker sellers want you to feel so you'll buy one ... the ONLY way I'd ever go for one is if it was totally reliable, not 'hackable' and didn't cost silly money each year to keep it 'live'!

9. Phill D

Phill D

ask @eddievanbitz not a lot he dont know about security of motorhomes;(y) dont ask his advice on rugby though ... #notaclue.:whistle:

• Like Like x 1
  10. kaasbroodje

kaasbroodje Funster

Lots of tracking devices available from ebay for not a lot of money, however they're all easily blocked by a determined thief.

I think @buttons is correct, the best security is to keep your keys well hidden.
    Most vehicle thefts (cars, motorhomes, motorbikes) occur after a house break-in, where it's all too easy to just pick up the keys and drive off....

• Like Like x 1
  11. Phill D

Phill D

It is your hard earned cash that you have invested; how long did you wait for delivery or to find your ideal van? are you prepared to wait / search that long again. the quicker the van is found the less chance of damage.

So I guess it depends on if / wether you want the best chance of getting your motorhome back asap after if it gets taken.

opportunist thieves who break into your home and find keys will not often consider a tracker. those that are more astute seem to steel and hide the van in an inconspicuous location and wait to see if a tracker is fitted before returning to collect it.

12. Phill D

Phill D

PS; there is no cast iron guarantee with any device but you can stack the odds in your favour(y)

13. Clickem

Clickem Funster

Transit vans seem to be a problem

http://www.westyorkshire.police.uk/news/transit-van-owners-warned-keep-your-vans-secure

14. Candapack

Candapack Funster

Thanks all.

15. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Regrettably easy to block a tracker, and with gps and phone signal blocked it will just report its last known position. I have a cheap monitor it yourself tracker which I interrogate occasionally. If it was blocked it would not reply which would show a problem, though not its location. MH is in storage 15 miles away.

16. carolyn

carolyn Funster

We have the non starter which is a self tracker from van bitz as well as the strike back growler. We had a chat with Ash and he was very helpful and he recommended this option.

17. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

If it's a requirement of your insurance company it has to be Thatcham Cat 5 or Cat 6 and installed by an approved person. The insurance company will be able to provide you with a list of the ones they accept.

If it's not an insurance company requirement and they don't give you a big discount for fitting it do you really need one?

Either way forget the DIY fit cheap ones from Amazon and eBay. Waste of time and money.

If it's not for insurance purposes, just your peace of mind, I would go for Vanbitz's Non Starter. It's a great bit of kit.

18. GAVLAD

GAVLAD Funster

That's our local travelling friends!
    They love transit vans.
    They even Jim have them professionally sign written to look the part. It's only when they've dumped all of their crap in the layby when you realise they're not all that they seem.

A friend of mine had all his light assemblies nicked from his transit tipper.
    It doesn't have to be shiny for them to nick it.

19. campa cola

campa cola Funster

20. Derbyshire wanderer

Derbyshire wanderer Funster Life Member

Unless the insurer insists on a tracker I wouldn't touch one. The yearly fees are usually dearer than the insurance premium difference.
    Assuming they did get the keys and took it, there's no way I would want it back after they have done who knows what to it looking for a tracker.
    A good alarm and more importantly an immobiliser will always be the best option as surely preventing it moving from where you park it is the primary goal.