Tracker eks se Gas tank retrofit. (1 Viewer)

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Hi folks just asking if anyone knows about fitting a transverse gas tank, underslung across between the chassis rails.. I have seen these on the net and they don't cost too much, so I thought one of them mounted up near to where the gas locker is and connected into the regulator, with an external filler (like "gas low") would make us quite independent for touring Croatia / Spain / Portugal etc Plus it frees the gas locker for other STUFF... These tanks come in various sizes but are usually about a foot in Diameter and 3 feet long ISH.. they don't need to be re-pressure tested for at least 10 years... What do you think..? ? ? ?
... Mitch....

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
get it from a reputable supplier after all if the wrong type of tank or bad fitting could end in an expensive fireball.

some of the tanks used for car engine running are liquid take off where as you need vapour take off for your motorhome.

also there are some ferry companies and euro tunnel have limits as to how much gas you can carry so be careful with the size.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
probably cheaper than a gaslow system and a good idea if you have a place for it.
i believe the tanks usually have the regulator mounted on them so your existing one will be redundant and a bit of plumbing needed.
dont forget it will add to your payload and probably weigh more than a couple of bottles (mines around 2ft x 3ft and holds 30 gallons (130ltrs)) and you'll also need various filler adaptors for European LPG pumps, which aint cheap :Sad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
MitchandJenny
Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks Papajohn for the answer, 2ft by 3ft, thats a fair size... We have not yet managed to sell our current M/H, a compass avant-garde 120, but will be getting a tracker as soon as we do...Just doing a bit of pre emptive thinking and planning...I am the sort who can't actually start a job until I have every detail "sorted"... The less time we are dependant on sites and bottles and hook-up etc the longer we can stay away for... Next step is thinking about 2 good sized batteries OR solar, but thats another story... I think, reading all the previous on solars, I may just get 2 x 125AH batts and go for it ! ! ! The most important thing at the moment is water carrying capacity, hence swapping from our present to a Tracker.(eventually )
...Mitch...

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Hi folks just asking if anyone knows about fitting a transverse gas tank, underslung across between the chassis rails.. I have seen these on the net and they don't cost too much, so I thought one of them mounted up near to where the gas locker is and connected into the regulator, with an external filler (like "gas low") would make us quite independent for touring Croatia / Spain / Portugal etc Plus it frees the gas locker for other STUFF... These tanks come in various sizes but are usually about a foot in Diameter and 3 feet long ISH.. they don't need to be re-pressure tested for at least 10 years... What do you think..? ? ? ?
... Mitch....

Be very carefull with the measurements-our plan was to fit 100ltr tank between the chassis members at rear of van after removing spare wheel.When the tank was offered into position it became clear that it would end up lower than the rear axle :Smile: We didn't fancy that,so looked at other sizes.Some that were of suitable diameter were too long and vice versa-we ended up with a 40ltr tank-20kg.which when 80% full is around 16kg.

It's turned out fine as it happens-we usually leave home about 25% filled and top up in France,then tour around for about 3 weeks and top up again before going into Spain-4 weeks touring Spain and Portugal and we got home last time with 25% left.This was Sept-Nov. All our cooking,heating and hot water is gas and we use aires more than we use campsites,so we often shower in van.
Our filler cap is at rear of van (so no opening gas locker door on forecourt) and our gas locker holds ehu cables,Cadac bbq and various bottles of liquids (toilet stuff,waste tank stuff and windscreen washer stuff)
Mike.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
... Next step is thinking about 2 good sized batteries OR solar, but thats another story... I think, reading all the previous on solars, I may just get 2 x 125AH batts and go for it ! ! ! The most important thing at the moment is water carrying capacity, hence swapping from our present to a Tracker.(eventually )
...Mitch...

After doing the fixed tank we fitted 2x80w solar panels and then,after a 2 mth trip decided that we could do with 2 leisure batts as well-so we now have 2x110 batteries and rarely actually need to hook-up.We do use EHU when we stay on a site to get washing done if it's included in price.
Mike

OP
OP
MitchandJenny
Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Mike . Many thanks for your comprehensive reply... I will indeed take care when the time comes to do the deed tank wise ... Very glad to hear that the gas lasts so well, even with using the shower in the van as we also do... Also 2 x 80 watt solars and 2 x 125 batts was my sort of long term plan too.. We will have a rear kitchen and rear shower/ washroom, so a fair bit of weight towards the back of the Tracker when we eventually get it, so I will look to getting the tank fairly midships... Take care and thanks again...
...Mitch... PS.. What diameter is your tank ? ? ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back