Outdoorgirl

Free Member
Apr 25, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I know this has been brought up before, can anyone actually recommend atracker device and company that has been proven to work? I see the caravan and camping club are recommending one?
Many thanks:Cool:

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
My advice would be not to bother. The diference in insurance premium will be just a few quid (£30 or less) so unless they insist I wouldnt bother. I just cancelled mine this year.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
I must it I get confused on this one - I have looked at them - it seems to me there are two basic types one that operates through a sim card and the mobile telephone network and then those like 'Tracker' which have their own radio network. It would appear that firms like tracker then can call the Police in to a stolen unit but if you have a sim card unit they will not react unless you find it first and tell them exactly where the stolen unit is - also I understand that some of these will only be activated if requested or if the unit is taken without the ignition turned on - also I understand that some transmit on more than one wavelength to overcome if a unit is put where some signals are masked (container - valley ) etc - the negatives seem to be that on some types you never know if they are working as you can only really find out if the unit is nicked - probably wrong on some of this but all input would be appreciated

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Groundhog

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Since 2008
I have a Cobra system fitted with lifetime subscription. I know it works because I forgot to tell them I was on a ferry from Italy to Greece and the called to check everything was O.K.

Link Removed

I also have a Cobra alarm system fitted.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the police WILL NOT respond to a sim card tracker whereas they will to a GPS system, when informed by the company, as their cars are usually fitted with the equipment needed to track.
the tracker company will give the police all the details needed to track the vehicle.
the sim card type companies probably dont even have the ability to find it themselves, let alone the police doing it.

as already said, you can find the van using a sim card and report its location but you probably need the crime reference number you would have been given when you reported the theft or they wont respond to that either.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Contact vanbitz

they will give you good advice, not try to sell you anything, and do the best systems and work in the business they in my opinion are THE EXPERTS I have no connection other than a previous customer:thumb:

tucker_j

Free Member
May 26, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
6 Years
If your reason for fitting a tracker is to get a discount on your insurance I wouldn't bother with anything except a cheap SIM based system, but check your insurer will acknowledge the device and provide a discount before you part with your cash. Many newer vehicles are now considered by insurers to be much more secure and therefore they do not offer further discount if such devices are fitted - depends on the insurer and on your vehicle.

If your reason for fitting a tracker is to check up on your spouse or partner, again go for a cheap SIM based system and PAYG SIM card

If your reason for fitting a tracker is that so that in the unfortunate event that someone pinching your pride and joy you can get it back in double quick time and hopefully without too much damage then get a Tracker Networks system. The are not cheap and any discounted insurance is unlikely to cover your investment. They are approved by every police force in the UK and the receivers are fitted in many police vehicles, and even police helicoptors. In many cases they will know the vehicle is on the move before you do, and frequently make recoveries possible within just a couple of hours.

And finally, if in the event of someone nicking your pride and joy you would rather not see it again and hope the insurance covers your losses - then don't worry about having a tracker at all.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We have a cobra alarm and a cobra tracker which cost £135 a year to subscribe which I think is a small price to pay for peace of mind to know that you will get your van back hopefully with all its contents before the thieves have had time to ransack it. I did have phantom tracker on my previous van which cost £99 a year but for reasons I wont go into on here had to change to Cobra with the new van, didnt like the extra charge but had no choice as I wanted a tracker just to give us peace of mind:winky:

ubuntu1

Free Member
Feb 13, 2008
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2006
GPS trackers

There are some very good trackers out there, I actually fit Sky Track GPS units.

I've written a little piece on my blog that talks about trackers and alarms. Link Removed

I think that there is a place for both but it depends on what you want.

Henryhymer

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
Funster No
www.exactTrak.com do a range of top quality products at what I think are very competitive prices. They don't just do trackers for vehicles but any sort of electronics equipment.

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Best tracker

The wee guy on the right is the best tracker in the world, bar none!!

Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back